Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

1624385479987.png

The paper argues that our lack of understanding about the collective behavioral effects of new technology is a danger to democracy and scientific progress. For example, the paper says that tech companies have “fumbled their way through the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, unable to stem the ‘infodemic’ of misinformation” that has hindered widespread acceptance of masks and vaccines. The authors warn that if left misunderstood and unchecked, we could see unintended consequences of new technology contributing to phenomena such as “election tampering, disease, violent extremism, famine, racism, and war.”

Shirin Ghaffary
And what is that problem? What are you sounding the alarm bell on?

Carl Bergstrom
My sense is that social media in particular — as well as a broader range of internet technologies, including algorithmically driven search and click-based advertising — have changed the way that people get information and form opinions about the world.
And they seem to have done so in a manner that makes people particularly vulnerable to the spread of misinformation and disinformation.

One of the really key messages of the paper is that there tends to be this general trust that everything will work out, that people will eventually learn to screen sources of information, that the market will take care of it.

And I think one of the things that the paper is saying is that we’ve got no particular reason to think that that’s right. There’s no reason why good information will rise to the top of any ecosystem we’ve designed. So we’re very concerned about that.

Social media ruined society. I literally said this to myself yesterday. Some ig babe i follow took her son to the er cause he popped a firework in his hand….and she documented the whole ordeal on ig stories. Like why? Sympathy? Ive been in some pretty crazy scenarios in my life and id say pulling out my phone and getting it for the gram is def not in my list of priorities.

We're in a new age of finding new ways to earn income. If anything us disproportionately broke *** millennials & older should embrace & learn from the kids on how to improve our pockets. I know every other week I'll go to some thrift stores & I'll come across to cool things to keep for myself & to sell & line my pockets. I've made a few hundreds a month doing this & occasionally I've made a thousand plus doing this. It depends on what I find. Not to mention, I have fun doing it b/c it's a legit hobby of mine.

Sounds like you’re doing it the right way... You have a hobby and you’ve found a way to monetize it.

Not everyone is going to make a living reselling, making vlogs or investing in Shiba Inu though.

Unless you’re a 10 in the looks department you still can’t bypass the work or required skills/talent with social media.

The more obnoxious the act, the more beloved attention it gives the user. I'm just curious to know how far it's gonna go.

After deleting my FB almost 10 years ago, I finally deleted my instagram (yes I am aware that FB owns it) It just wasn't fun anymore, My girl (now ex) would always complain about not having a picture of us on there (nvm the fact that I didn't have pictures of ANYONE on mine) and it caused her insecurity because of what her girls/fam would say.

I have been single for several months and I am deleting it for the same reason I deleted FB, it just isn't a good product anymore. The reason I joined (to look at my friends pictures) IG is now no longer even close to being the best tool for that.

Its been a couple weeks and honestly I don't even miss it. Deleted Twitter too. Its great on this side gents!

After deleting my FB almost 10 years ago, I finally deleted my instagram (yes I am aware that FB owns it) It just wasn't fun anymore, My girl (now ex) would always complain about not having a picture of us on there (nvm the fact that I didn't have pictures of ANYONE on mine) and it caused her insecurity because of what her girls/fam would say.

This is sad man.

Was this something that came up often in conversation?

I would have been annoyed if I were you.

But to some folks, "It ain't real if it isn't on SM."

Back
Top Bottom