Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

It's Georgia. 9 out of 10 of them don't know how to read and instagram is very visual friendly. Easy for illiterate people to navigate.

1622565447538.gif

Do you know what demo of young adults they surveyed? I'm curious & depending on what you're gunning for w/ a verified account can absolutely be more profitable than a college degree. I remember when she was just trendy girl getting off dope fits w/ 19k followers. Now she's getting paid to promote companies products:

We're in a new age of finding new ways to earn income. If anything us disproportionately broke *** millennials & older should embrace & learn from the kids on how to improve our pockets. I know every other week I'll go to some thrift stores & I'll come across to cool things to keep for myself & to sell & line my pockets. I've made a few hundreds a month doing this & occasionally I've made a thousand plus doing this. It depends on what I find. Not to mention, I have fun doing it b/c it's a legit hobby of mine.

I saw this.

Most of the "illiterate" people in NY and Cali have English as their second language. They have an excuse. Meanwhile Jim Bob from Rural Georgia's family has spoken English for generations and still can't seem to get it right.

If you have to speak 2 languages, you have an excuse.

As of July 2016, California had a population of 39,250,017. Of this group age five and older, 44 percent spoke a language other than English at home. Meanwhile, 18.6 percent of California residents are considered limited English proficient (LEP), meaning they speak English less than “very well.” California ranks first among all states in both of these categories.

Last edited:
Somewhat on topic, but it’s really wild to me how ppl old enough to be my parents (50s, 60s) be all in on social media. Making endless posts and status updates. It’s one thing for ppl born in the 90s and after, but them old MFs done lived a whole adult life before this **** was even a thing, how are you this sucked into FB or IG???

I legit blocked my aunt on FB because she was on there ranting about how terrible her BF was multiple times a week.Either leave dude or get counseling, why are you looking for sympathy on the internet? You have kids in their 30s smh.

One thing I learned is that a lot of ppl ain’t matured, they’re just old. And social media exposes that every day.

Last edited:
Somewhat on topic, but it’s really wild to me how ppl old enough to be my parents (50s, 60s) be all in on social media. Making endless posts and status updates. It’s on thing for ppl born in the 90s and after, but then old MFs done lived a whole adult life before this **** was even a thing, how are you this sucked into FB or IG???

I legit blocked my aunt on FB because she was on there ranting about how terrible her BF was multiple times a week.Either leave dude or get counseling, why are you looking for sympathy on the internet? You have kids in their 30s smh.

One thing I learned is that a lot of ppl ain’t matured they’re just old. And social media exposes that every day.
Gen X are the social media og's though. They literally came up w/ chat rooms, aim, blackplanet, myspace, niketalk, lipstickalley, rapgenius, reddit, etc. All of what we're seeing today is just a evolved version of that. If you ever pay attention a lot older ppl from that timeframe be posting like they're anonymous. Especially ppl born in the early to mid 70's :lol:

Do you know what demo of young adults they surveyed? I'm curious & depending on what you're gunning for w/ a verified account can absolutely be more profitable than a college degree. I remember when she was just trendy girl getting off dope fits w/ 19k followers. Now she's getting paid to promote companies products:

We're in a new age of finding new ways to earn income. If anything us disproportionately broke *** millennials & older should embrace & learn from the kids on how to improve our pockets. I know every other week I'll go to some thrift stores & I'll come across to cool things to keep for myself & to sell & line my pockets. I've made a few hundreds a month doing this & occasionally I've made a thousand plus doing this. It depends on what I find. Not to mention, I have fun doing it b/c it's a legit hobby of mine.

you still have to go outside and be productive. Instagam can’t build infrastructure. Bridges, homes, farming, etc. you STILL need blue collar workers. Instagram can’t perform surgery. It can’t do urban development. It can’t fly a plane. Everything isn’t social media....

I just don’t understand how people sit and vicariously live through others. Like you could be doing the same. I’m not going to ride anyone’s coattails.

Wai Ting and Jordan Goodman are back with this month’s edition of The Wellness Policy as they explore both the many benefits and trappings of social media.

They discuss their histories with early forms of social media dating back to the 90’s, what the popular Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma tells us about the way social media uses us today, and how we may be able to harness its advantages without succumbing to its many pitfalls. Plus, lots of time dedicated to your calls about the topic.

Next month, we’ll discuss the importance of play in our everyday lives. If you’d like, join Jordan and Wai in next month’s reading by having a look at “Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul” by Stuart Brown.

Back
Top Bottom