Is there such a thing as a diverse fraternity?

Mister Meaner

formerly super producer j
nerd.gif

Semi interested, but not too fond of modern day segregation.

yea. Ive seen a couple of frats on campus that are diverse but they were white frats with like 2 black dudes. But im pretty sure thats not the diversity umeant

Sure, depends on the school though.

But there's no rule that you can't pledge one that's predominately one race. If they'll have you, why not? What race are you (if you don'tmind) and what's wrong with the ones that are already available?
nerd.gif

Lots of the "clubs" or "tables" at Ivy League Schools seem to just invite whoever it is they feel like it

I'm black and I'm well aware that majority of them will take on all comers. I was wondering if any were known for being diverse. And my definition ofdiverse is not 2 token black guys, or 1 token white guy.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

I'm black and I'm well aware that majority of them will take on all comers. I was wondering if any were known for being diverse. And my definition of diverse is not 2 token black guys, or 1 token white guy.
Well, the professional frats tend to be:

Example, Engineering frats or Business frats tend to have the most diversity, however you won't be running trains or throwing extravagant parties withthese frats. Those frats are straight up networking and resume building vehicles and nothing more.

I'm journeying into the medical field (Dental) and would like to run my fair share of trains while networking.

the ones i know of are like volunteer frats and frats geared towards different majors...

No. Schools aren't diverse to begin with and fraternities usually show that with the one to two minorities they do have.

Fam, with you being a junior, no fraternity will give you a bid.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

the ones i know of are like volunteer frats and frats geared towards different majors...

yep, honors frats too, sad really that those are the only ones.

What's the problem though? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but do you clash with other black people for whatever reason? I mean, it happens, soif that's your reasoning I totally get it. It's just that, if you're a junior ...you should already know how stuff is going down at your school-unless you're new there.

the only diverse one's i've seen are the ones that correlate with ur major..not many of the well known frats, but the ones for pharmacy majors, dental,etc.

Not the best as far as partying and fun, but if ur in it to network, stay in a better place than campus dorms its a cool route i'd guess.

Originally Posted by Dylishis

What's the problem though? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but do you clash with other black people for whatever reason? I mean, it happens, so if that's your reasoning I totally get it. It's just that, if you're a junior ...you should already know how stuff is going down at your school- unless you're new there.
My reasoning is that joining a black fraternity, IMO, severely limits a person's development throughout college. If I'm going to bespending a good portion of my time around these "brothers," I'd like a little better representation of the real world as I know it. Granted, Icome from NYC, so what I consider the real world is based on this melting pot of a city.

Conversely, I don't mind an all black frat, but would certainly never be token in an all white house.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

No. Schools aren't diverse to begin with and fraternities usually show that with the one to two minorities they do have.

That is false.

I know our campus had multicultural sororities. I would imagine frats would exists as well. If I were to join one it would def be multi-cultural. I almost didactually but dropped later on. Still friends w/ a lot of the girl to this day.

Not true. I know people who pledged as seniors.

Originally Posted by bee easyy

Originally Posted by Lazy B

That is false.
Probably at your school, but most IFC fraternities aren't giving juniors bid unless they are desperate for pledges.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Originally Posted by Dylishis

What's the problem though? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but do you clash with other black people for whatever reason? I mean, it happens, so if that's your reasoning I totally get it. It's just that, if you're a junior ...you should already know how stuff is going down at your school- unless you're new there.
My reasoning is that joining a black fraternity, IMO, severely limits a person's development throughout college. If I'm going to be spending a good portion of my time around these "brothers," I'd like a little better representation of the real world as I know it. Granted, I come from NYC, so what I consider the real world is based on this melting pot of a city.

Conversely, I don't mind an all black frat, but would certainly never be token in an all white house.
I see what you mean. But hey, maybe the whole Greek life thing isn't for you. I'm sure there are other more diverse student organizationsyou can join. What kind of clubs and stuff do you have available? It'd be nice to have more diverse frats/sororities but if they aren't available atyour college I guess there's not much you can do.

Nah, I'm not into themed clubs like Glee or Theatre, etc etc.
laugh.gif

I just wanna have some good times with buddies and build something towards my future (networking, job placement).

Back
Top Bottom