Is Yao a Hall of Famer?

airmaxpenny1 wrote:
Yes, he is opened up China to basketball which is going to change the game just like with how the the Chinese companies bout some of the Cavs. China's role in the NBA is going to get bigger and bigger and it all started with Yao.
Apples and Oranges

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

^ what exactly is the gif for? it's true.
it's not true.

jordan is the reason they play ball in china and across the world. let's be real. he was basketball to the world, not yao. kobe is just as popular if not more than yao ..any proof of yao being the most popular, besides stating that 1 billion people live in china?

no hall of fame for yao...so many players not in the hall that have had better basketball careers than yao

QFT

Global impact, expanding the game etc....Yao Ming is a basketball player, and it comes down to what you've done on the court IMO. Dikembe Mutumbo has beenprobably the biggest ambassador of the game, but he's also had a HOF worthy career, with the accolades and numbers to back his ambassador title. Plain andsimple, Yao hasn't had the career to be in the HOF...Impressive International resume, No Olympic medals, 7 seasons (3 with less than 60 Games played), 19total Playoff games, 2 All NBA third team appearances and 1 All NBA 2nd team...His NBA career will be his main criteria, and it isnt anywhere near enough tomerit HOF consideration IMO. His Globalization of the game is a wonderful aspect, China is becoming a player in the NBA in a business aspect as well...but ibelieve that Yao Mings basketball career alone should be the criteria, not the bi-products of his success....and it may in fact get him in the HOF someday, ijust feel it shouldn't...but if it does good for him. Guess i just hold a bit of a higher standard than most.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

i think having an impact on a billion people is worthy of hof status.

Do you have any proof of that? I mean besides just throwing the nations population number out like that
grin.gif

do you really need some statistical proof? i think it's pretty clear.

Originally Posted by Black Entourage inc

it's not true.

jordan is the reason they play ball in china and across the world. let's be real. he was basketball to the world, not yao. kobe is just as popular if not more than yao ..any proof of yao being the most popular, besides stating that 1 billion people live in china?

no hall of fame for yao...so many players not in the hall that have had better basketball careers than yao

QFT

Global impact, expanding the game etc....Yao Ming is a basketball player, and it comes down to what you've done on the court IMO. Dikembe Mutumbo has been probably the biggest ambassador of the game, but he's also had a HOF worthy career, with the accolades and numbers to back his ambassador title. Plain and simple, Yao hasn't had the career to be in the HOF...Impressive International resume, No Olympic medals, 7 seasons (3 with less than 60 Games played), 19 total Playoff games, 2 All NBA third team appearances and 1 All NBA 2nd team...His NBA career will be his main criteria, and it isnt anywhere near enough to merit HOF consideration IMO. His Globalization of the game is a wonderful aspect, China is becoming a player in the NBA in a business aspect as well...but i believe that Yao Mings basketball career alone should be the criteria, not the bi-products of his success....and it may in fact get him in the HOF someday, i just feel it shouldn't...but if it does good for him. Guess i just hold a bit of a higher standard than most.

i somewhat agree with you but that's not how the bball HOF votes it's players in....it;s not the same as in baseball where stats reallymatter. the bball HOF is kind of wacky to be honest.... i mean they voted the "Harlem Globetrotters" in... not saying they are not worthy to bementioned in the HOF, they have alot of history and impact, but that's the whole point....the bball HOF votes differently and they do put alot of weight onthe intangibles and impact etc.... unlike other HOF that just focus on individual statistical greatness... which is why i would think someone like Yao makes itin

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

i think having an impact on a billion people is worthy of hof status.

Do you have any proof of that? I mean besides just throwing the nations population number out like that
grin.gif

do you really need some statistical proof? i think it's pretty clear.

All I am saying is that it's pretty lame to take the entire Nations population and claim that he influenced all of them. When you and I both knowthat's a load of %+*%. Yao is China's first NBA star, but he hasn't done really much to write home about on the court. Black EntourageInc. pretty much summed it up with the stats.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

Originally Posted by Black Entourage inc

it's not true.

QFT

Global impact, expanding the game etc....Yao Ming is a basketball player, and it comes down to what you've done on the court IMO. Dikembe Mutumbo has been probably the biggest ambassador of the game, but he's also had a HOF worthy career, with the accolades and numbers to back his ambassador title. Plain and simple, Yao hasn't had the career to be in the HOF...Impressive International resume, No Olympic medals, 7 seasons (3 with less than 60 Games played), 19 total Playoff games, 2 All NBA third team appearances and 1 All NBA 2nd team...His NBA career will be his main criteria, and it isnt anywhere near enough to merit HOF consideration IMO. His Globalization of the game is a wonderful aspect, China is becoming a player in the NBA in a business aspect as well...but i believe that Yao Mings basketball career alone should be the criteria, not the bi-products of his success....and it may in fact get him in the HOF someday, i just feel it shouldn't...but if it does good for him. Guess i just hold a bit of a higher standard than most.
i somewhat agree with you but that's not how the bball HOF votes it's players in....it;s not the same as in baseball where stats really matter. the bball HOF is kind of wacky to be honest.... i mean they voted the "Harlem Globetrotters" in... not saying they are not worthy to be mentioned in the HOF, they have alot of history and impact, but that's the whole point....the bball HOF votes differently and they do put alot of weight on the intangibles and impact etc.... unlike other HOF that just focus on individual statistical greatness... which is why i would think someone like Yao makes it in

Agreed, i guess i look at it a bit differently...and i wouldn't be upset if Yao made it, just by my personal criteria he doesnt get in. But looking at pastselections i see where ur coming from

As an NBA player? No.
As a basketball player in general? Maybe. And that's still a big MAYBE.

Highly doubtful. He hasn't accomplished enough yet, but he's definitely a pioneer. So who knows what's going to happen?

Yao Ming still got some years left to make the HOF. On the court and off the court. He is not even 30 yet. He can do something basketball related and not playin the NBA but still make the HOF. Really no point in discussing this question considering it is unfair to say Yao Ming will not contribute to the game ofbasketball because his NBA career is possibly over.

Yao is on the same level as Drazen Petrovic.....both broke barriers and had nice careers.....R.I.P to Petrovic but, if he's in, so is Yao.

So, YES.

Clutchshooter wrote:

too many people are still looking at this from north american point of view.

they seem to think they're taking into account the rest of the world, but it's more in a shallow 'yeah i guess there are a lot of people outside the u.s.' sort of way.

still automatically thinking that any north american star's impact is larger by default.
you are using the exact same logic as the people you are criticizing. You are telling people not to look at this from just a North American pointof view when you are looking at it from strictly a Chinese perspective. Congrats, the dude is chinese and opened up the game to Chinese people, but by nomeans did he do it globally. You think people in Europe give a %*#% what Yao Ming has done? South Africa? Hell even Canada or Mexico?

My point is, if Yao Ming is so popular GLOBALLY like people are saying, then why didnt he even finish first in voting for the NBA All-Star game? Hell whywasnt he even the highest voted center? If you let Yao Ming in, you pretty much have to let in every foreign player that has made an impact on their homecountry by opening up the game "globally"

I hate to turn this into a Dirk Nowitzki defense thread, but Dirk has brought an impact greater than Yao, and Dirk isn't even a lock to a good majority ofpeople.

Yao has brought 2 dudes to play in the NBA, three if you want to count Yuta Tabuse, those are the only asian dudes in the NBA... Yao, Yi, Sun, and Yuta.Granted Yuta ain't even got much burn, neither has Sun, but Yi is decent, and Yao was borderline franchise player (Tracy was the bigger star in theirprime).

Dirk has paved the way for European dudes to get a chance. Tony Parker, finals MVP. Manu Ginobili. Luis Scola. Peja. Andrei Kirilenko. The Gasol brothers. Allthem dudes from Spain, you see at least 5-10 players from Europe getting drafted every year, staying overseas, and then when you see them come over here theymake significant impacts on the game.

From an economic point of view, sure Yao helped the game a lot, but as far as truly GLOBALIZING? I don't believe that quite yet. I like Yao, and I think hewould have ended up as a HOF player, but that's pulling a Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway IMO.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I hate to turn this into a Dirk Nowitzki defense thread, but Dirk has brought an impact greater than Yao, and Dirk isn't even a lock to a good majority of people.

That's becuase the majority of people are dumb, let's not blame Yao for the stupidity of the general basketball public.

Dirk is and should be considered by all to be a hall of fame lock, this is not a maybe, the is merely a prerequisite to being a rational clear thinking humanbeing.

From an economic point of view, sure Yao helped the game a lot, but as far as truly GLOBALIZING? I don't believe that quite yet.
This is exactly what I am saying. Yao did NOT globalize basketball. Yeah sure, he made the chinese people more interested in it, but whos toknow how many people actually picked up a basketball because of Yao Ming.

Edit: And by traditional Hall of Fame standards Dirks MVP pretty much has him as a lock for the H.O.F.

not even considered but of course the media which is horrible nowadays will hype him up to get him in saying something like he was so popular (thanks tochina)..only thing he has under his belt is he has been a all star every year thanks to fan votes.

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

If the greatest Asian center of all time doesn't get int to the HOF...

out of how many others Asian centers?
laugh.gif

id put him in but only because i feel bad 4 dude. i genuinely like him but as it stands helllllllllllllllllll no

Back
Top Bottom