IT Certifications?

Originally Posted by Killa Kyleon

@ LuckyLuchiano I would look at the courses offered for both and go from there. My gut says to go the Mgmt/Strategic route

About certs/degree these are pretty much what employers look for IMO:

1. Experience/Work history
2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this year.
Cool, I mean do you think a Dual MBA would be worth it? or should I go the Strategic Mgmt Route and Take the upper level IT/MIS courses as electives?

@ LuckyLuchiano I would look at the courses offered for both and go from there. My gut says to go the Mgmt/Strategic route

2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this year.
Cool, I mean do you think a Dual MBA would be worth it? or should I go the Strategic Mgmt Route and Take the upper level IT/MIS courses as electives?

2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this 

I wanna go for my security plus but im just going to go for ccna security

Originally Posted by Rightguard

2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this 

My job kinda tells me what certs to get if I want to get that $$$..they pay for my tests and give me a raise so its like I have to get what they tell me. 

or should I go the Strategic Mgmt Route and Take the upper level IT/MIS courses as electives?
Bingo.

2. Certs
3. Degree

My job kinda tells me what certs to get if I want to get that $$$..they pay for my tests and give me a raise so its like I have to get what they tell me. 

or should I go the Strategic Mgmt Route and Take the upper level IT/MIS courses as electives?
Bingo.

2. Certs
3. Degree

Bingo.

thats good man, good luck

2. Certs
3. Degree

Bingo.

thats good man, good luck

2. Certs
3. Degree

Lol are you serious? You really think having an A+, Net+, and Security+ is better than an Information Technology degree? Those certs seem so easy compared to my Curriculum and everyone I know who has gotten an IT degree has moved on to very good jobs better than what you would get with those entry level certs. 

2. Certs
3. Degree

Lol are you serious? You really think having an A+, Net+, and Security+ is better than an Information Technology degree? Those certs seem so easy compared to my Curriculum and everyone I know who has gotten an IT degree has moved on to very good jobs better than what you would get with those entry level certs. 

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

2. Certs
3. Degree

this debate will go forever lol 

2. Certs
3. Degree

this debate will go forever lol 

2. Certs
3. Degree

I didn't say those are better than getting a degree. I said that is what companies look for when looking to hire people. I have an IT degree myself, I busted my *+! to get that %@+@$+$ degree so I'd never put down the next man trying to get the degree too. All I am saying is when you are applying for "entry level" jobs that have requirements..thats what they are going to look for. A guy with 10 yrs exp is gonna get the job over someone that just graduated in December bro. You know that.  I work in the field and I see it everyday. I've tried to get some of my friends I graduated with jobs, you know the first thing my supervisor is going to ask? "What experience do they have?"  "They have any certs?" 

2. Certs
3. Degree

I didn't say those are better than getting a degree. I said that is what companies look for when looking to hire people. I have an IT degree myself, I busted my *+! to get that %@+@$+$ degree so I'd never put down the next man trying to get the degree too. All I am saying is when you are applying for "entry level" jobs that have requirements..thats what they are going to look for. A guy with 10 yrs exp is gonna get the job over someone that just graduated in December bro. You know that.  I work in the field and I see it everyday. I've tried to get some of my friends I graduated with jobs, you know the first thing my supervisor is going to ask? "What experience do they have?"  "They have any certs?" 

2. Certs
3. Degree

But yeah thats pretty unfair to compare a person with 10 years of experience with a person with less. I am talking on an equal playing field where they have the same work experience.

2. Certs
3. Degree

But yeah thats pretty unfair to compare a person with 10 years of experience with a person with less. I am talking on an equal playing field where they have the same work experience.

I don't know man. Like I said, I've seen it happen with my job. They look for work experience/history then certs. Most of the people that have came in with just the degree end up on helpdesk, then they get certs and move up to the NOC. If its 2 applicants with similar work experience and 1 guy has certs, the other just has the degree... I believe the guy that is certified would win out 7/10 times. But again, thats just my opinion.

I don't know man. Like I said, I've seen it happen with my job. They look for work experience/history then certs. Most of the people that have came in with just the degree end up on helpdesk, then they get certs and move up to the NOC. If its 2 applicants with similar work experience and 1 guy has certs, the other just has the degree... I believe the guy that is certified would win out 7/10 times. But again, thats just my opinion.

laugh.gif
 at some of the comments in this thread.
Certs are great but you seriously need to get a degree. It doesn't need to be an IT degree either. 

The thing I don't think some here realize is certifications like the PMP and CISSP require "x" amount of years of experience that needs to be VERIFIED which is why they lead to great paying jobs. Also Cisco certs are no joke. CCNA is pretty much cake compared the higher level exams. Oh and Comptia Certs are a joke. I'm just saying. I mean it doesn't hurt to have them because most recruiters are just looking for acronyms on resumes anyway before they pass them off to the hiring manager.

I'd also like to add that guys that dont have degrees with 20 years of experience that are making 100K+ is nice for them because everyone wasn't going to school 20 years ago. Things are different now. 20 yrs from now most people in the job market will have degrees AND experience then you will be royally screwed. 

laugh.gif
 at some of the comments in this thread.
Certs are great but you seriously need to get a degree. It doesn't need to be an IT degree either. 

The thing I don't think some here realize is certifications like the PMP and CISSP require "x" amount of years of experience that needs to be VERIFIED which is why they lead to great paying jobs. Also Cisco certs are no joke. CCNA is pretty much cake compared the higher level exams. Oh and Comptia Certs are a joke. I'm just saying. I mean it doesn't hurt to have them because most recruiters are just looking for acronyms on resumes anyway before they pass them off to the hiring manager.

I'd also like to add that guys that dont have degrees with 20 years of experience that are making 100K+ is nice for them because everyone wasn't going to school 20 years ago. Things are different now. 20 yrs from now most people in the job market will have degrees AND experience then you will be royally screwed. 

I disagree

The only thing people care about now is work experience. Degrees and certs are used as prerequisites, work experience is used to make the decision.

I disagree

The only thing people care about now is work experience. Degrees and certs are used as prerequisites, work experience is used to make the decision.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I disagree

In the VERY long run work experience matters but in a IT degree will make you more well rounded and is better than getting a bunch of entry level certs. Plus University always have career connections.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I disagree

In the VERY long run work experience matters but in a IT degree will make you more well rounded and is better than getting a bunch of entry level certs. Plus University always have career connections.

im a freshman cis major. 

this  thread is very helpful
pimp.gif

any advice for someone younger would be great

im a freshman cis major. 

this  thread is very helpful
pimp.gif

any advice for someone younger would be great

Back
Top Bottom