IT Certifications?

someone, tell me the reasoning behind getting certs.
I am in IT and I have a great paying job and I just asked my whole team if they had any certs and they all literally 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
'ed me. so, please tell me what the point of a cert is beside PMP cert... thats the one im sitting for becasue PMP = PIMP=$$$$

I am in IT and I have a great paying job and I just asked my whole team if they had any certs and they all literally 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
'ed me. so, please tell me what the point of a cert is beside PMP cert... thats the one im sitting for becasue PMP = PIMP=$$$$

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Guys, sorry to burst your bubbles, and I really am, but no one checks for certs anymore... only on CraigsList do they check. In this day in age, Certs are not practical in the business environment.

I asked my company if I should get certs, and they asked if I wanted to move to India and become a helpdesk technician because that would be most useful. -_-
Whoever told you that is a damn idiot. I'd say a degree is more worthless than higher end certs. I don't plan to go to college at all and i should be seeing 6 figures + in the next 3-4 years with a handful of certs. Hopefully sooner 
laugh.gif
You mean to tell me that cisco certs are worthless? Jobs are bending over backwards for folks with ccie's. The problem is they're too many of you with a bunch of certs and no real world experience.  Every idiot has an A+ and network+. Same goes for lower end microsoft certs.

Want to set yourself apart? GET A JOB early on in your career. Take a crummy help desk job so you can get the experience and exposure to various technologies. Experience TRUMPS in IT. I've worked with a lot of older guys who don't have 1 cert to their name, but been doing their thing for 20+ years and make 180k+. If you plan to get certs, don't bother with the A+. Most of it is common sense and the +%** that book teaches you, you'll never use in the real world. Get the network+ and security+ then decide what path you want to take.

Guys, sorry to burst your bubbles, and I really am, but no one checks for certs anymore... only on CraigsList do they check. In this day in age, Certs are not practical in the business environment.

I asked my company if I should get certs, and they asked if I wanted to move to India and become a helpdesk technician because that would be most useful. -_-
Whoever told you that is a damn idiot. I'd say a degree is more worthless than higher end certs. I don't plan to go to college at all and i should be seeing 6 figures + in the next 3-4 years with a handful of certs. Hopefully sooner 
laugh.gif
You mean to tell me that cisco certs are worthless? Jobs are bending over backwards for folks with ccie's. The problem is they're too many of you with a bunch of certs and no real world experience.  Every idiot has an A+ and network+. Same goes for lower end microsoft certs.

Want to set yourself apart? GET A JOB early on in your career. Take a crummy help desk job so you can get the experience and exposure to various technologies. Experience TRUMPS in IT. I've worked with a lot of older guys who don't have 1 cert to their name, but been doing their thing for 20+ years and make 180k+. If you plan to get certs, don't bother with the A+. Most of it is common sense and the +%** that book teaches you, you'll never use in the real world. Get the network+ and security+ then decide what path you want to take.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

laugh.gif

this is incorrect, everything in entry level help desk involves A+, but i do agree experience > certs but thats in every field
do you want a doctor who just graduated from doing residential s or a doctor with 20 years experience operating on you?

If you are starting in the IT field get the A+, its so easy that it should be a cake walk....you need something to put on your resume so that it gets looked at.  resume with A+ > resume without

laugh.gif

this is incorrect, everything in entry level help desk involves A+, but i do agree experience > certs but thats in every field
do you want a doctor who just graduated from doing residential s or a doctor with 20 years experience operating on you?

If you are starting in the IT field get the A+, its so easy that it should be a cake walk....you need something to put on your resume so that it gets looked at.  resume with A+ > resume without

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

a big reason for people getting certs is that government agencies will not allow contractors to touch computer equipment unless they have one comptia certification.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

a big reason for people getting certs is that government agencies will not allow contractors to touch computer equipment unless they have one comptia certification.

btw i have an A+ and network +

i started as an intern while i was in school and they offered me a full time position after i finished school.

but i think it is essential to have these basic certs to have an understanding about computers.

btw i have an A+ and network +

i started as an intern while i was in school and they offered me a full time position after i finished school.

but i think it is essential to have these basic certs to have an understanding about computers.

Originally Posted by Rightguard

laugh.gif

Like what? I don't remember anything in that book teaching me how to be a tech or how to fix something. A Net+ would supersede an A+ any day. An a+ by itself will get you no where in this economy... Net+ alone on your resume would get you a lot more hits.

laugh.gif

Like what? I don't remember anything in that book teaching me how to be a tech or how to fix something. A Net+ would supersede an A+ any day. An a+ by itself will get you no where in this economy... Net+ alone on your resume would get you a lot more hits.

So I`m about to finish with my BBA in Computer Info Systems.

I really want to get into Consulting/Business Analyst, or some type of project management down the line eventually.

Would you guys recommend me doing my MBA in CIS/MIS/IT or going the Management/Strategic Manageress route being that I already have the Information Systems background?

So I`m about to finish with my BBA in Computer Info Systems.

I really want to get into Consulting/Business Analyst, or some type of project management down the line eventually.

Would you guys recommend me doing my MBA in CIS/MIS/IT or going the Management/Strategic Manageress route being that I already have the Information Systems background?

laugh.gif

it teaches you how to fix things at the help desk level properly

and i never tested my degree (MIS) or my certs in the job market since I became fully employed after interning so I couldnt tell you how much power the certs hold.

but a lot of contractors called asking if i had a+ and network + when I had my resume on monster.com

laugh.gif

it teaches you how to fix things at the help desk level properly

and i never tested my degree (MIS) or my certs in the job market since I became fully employed after interning so I couldnt tell you how much power the certs hold.

but a lot of contractors called asking if i had a+ and network + when I had my resume on monster.com

@ LuckyLuchiano I would look at the courses offered for both and go from there. My gut says to go the Mgmt/Strategic route

About certs/degree these are pretty much what employers look for IMO:

1. Experience/Work history
2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this year.

@ LuckyLuchiano I would look at the courses offered for both and go from there. My gut says to go the Mgmt/Strategic route

2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this year.

Originally Posted by Killa Kyleon

2. Certs
3. Degree

I have my A+, Net+, plan on having Security + locked up by April...CCNA later this 

I wanna go for my security plus but im just going to go for ccna security

Back
Top Bottom