IT Certifications?

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

Originally Posted by dtb00201

I'm kind of in the same position except you probably even have a leg up on me. I'm a junior but I feel like I'm not even remotely close to where I should be. I get A's in all my classes but feel like I hardly learn anything. I don't have a computer background at all and I'm in classes with 40 year old men who have all been working in the computer field for 20 years. I'm scared I'm going to get my degree and not have the knowledge to get where I need to go.

Best way to learn is actual experience, my advice is dont wait for a job to acquire hands on experience. If you can try and create an infrastructure that you can learn from.

-Routers / Switches
-PC Hardware and its history
-Hardware troubleshooting
-Software troubleshoot

Projects like these will give you the experience and confidence you'll need.  Before I ever had an I.T class I learned most of it just by experimenting and doing the research on my own time.

I appreciate the info, the only problem is actually getting all that information. When I started my major I literally had pretty much no computer background at all. The most I've done on my computer is wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall the drivers. It's just frustrating because when I talk with people from my classes it really makes me realize how far behind I actually am. I know it's my own fault for not researching my major more before I chose it, but it would have been nice if I knew b4 hand to try and teach myself different things before I started. It's just frustrating because I'm pretty far in now and I actually want to learn and succeed in this field, I just don't always know where to look.

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

Originally Posted by dtb00201

I'm kind of in the same position except you probably even have a leg up on me. I'm a junior but I feel like I'm not even remotely close to where I should be. I get A's in all my classes but feel like I hardly learn anything. I don't have a computer background at all and I'm in classes with 40 year old men who have all been working in the computer field for 20 years. I'm scared I'm going to get my degree and not have the knowledge to get where I need to go.

Best way to learn is actual experience, my advice is dont wait for a job to acquire hands on experience. If you can try and create an infrastructure that you can learn from.

-Routers / Switches
-PC Hardware and its history
-Hardware troubleshooting
-Software troubleshoot

Projects like these will give you the experience and confidence you'll need.  Before I ever had an I.T class I learned most of it just by experimenting and doing the research on my own time.

I appreciate the info, the only problem is actually getting all that information. When I started my major I literally had pretty much no computer background at all. The most I've done on my computer is wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall the drivers. It's just frustrating because when I talk with people from my classes it really makes me realize how far behind I actually am. I know it's my own fault for not researching my major more before I chose it, but it would have been nice if I knew b4 hand to try and teach myself different things before I started. It's just frustrating because I'm pretty far in now and I actually want to learn and succeed in this field, I just don't always know where to look.

CCNA is some tough stuff. Studying for it right now. I can't even imagine what the CCNP and CCIE would be like. Anyone have any input on MSCE?

CCNA is some tough stuff. Studying for it right now. I can't even imagine what the CCNP and CCIE would be like. Anyone have any input on MSCE?

CCNA is tough, one of the thing that makes it tough is that I find it extremly boring. I got into the computer field based on interest and that had me prepared before I even had any classes.

CCNA is tough, one of the thing that makes it tough is that I find it extremly boring. I got into the computer field based on interest and that had me prepared before I even had any classes.

Im in the same position as OP too, Im 2 quarters away from graduating with an MIS degree and ive done one internship doing IT help desk at a company this past summer. But i still feel like i need other things to get a entry level job when i graduate. 

Im in the same position as OP too, Im 2 quarters away from graduating with an MIS degree and ive done one internship doing IT help desk at a company this past summer. But i still feel like i need other things to get a entry level job when i graduate. 

I have a cert (Windows Server 2010) and still no job. I keep getting shot down after interviewing for lack of experience. It's a killer, @$!% experience.

I have a cert (Windows Server 2010) and still no job. I keep getting shot down after interviewing for lack of experience. It's a killer, @$!% experience.

I have my A+, taking my Net+ next month. I have an interview today for an entry level help desk job. Switching From the customer service field to the IT field was a big move for me and so far things are coming together. I also plan to pursue the more important certs mentioned above in the future. Glad so much changed for me in a year
pimp.gif

I have my A+, taking my Net+ next month. I have an interview today for an entry level help desk job. Switching From the customer service field to the IT field was a big move for me and so far things are coming together. I also plan to pursue the more important certs mentioned above in the future. Glad so much changed for me in a year
pimp.gif

Come January Im taking A+ then Network+

I already finished college. Didnt major in any computer science classes

Come January Im taking A+ then Network+

I already finished college. Didnt major in any computer science classes

Got two years of entry level help desk experience for the government under my belt with no certs yet. I will have a A+ at least within the next three months though.

Got two years of entry level help desk experience for the government under my belt with no certs yet. I will have a A+ at least within the next three months though.

I had 5 1/2 years of entry level help desk experience for the government coming out of college...and now that I FINALLY got a full-time working for a government contractor I can say that Security+ is the best one you can get hands down...

Cyber Security is where it's at
pimp.gif

I had 5 1/2 years of entry level help desk experience for the government coming out of college...and now that I FINALLY got a full-time working for a government contractor I can say that Security+ is the best one you can get hands down...

Cyber Security is where it's at
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom