IT Certifications?

I got my CCNA a couple years ago over a span of 3 months - self study... Lol I was not about to drop any money for a class. 

My first job out of college got me closer to 100k than it did to zero
wink.gif

What part of IT r u going for tho?   You're not very valuable to employers unless you have a solid grap of something.. ie. Networking/Software Engineering/etc.

if you're in college... INTERNSHIPS!!! JOB FAIRS!!! 3.5 + on the GPA!!! EMPLOYERS WANT SMART KIDS.  If you have no real career experience, the GPA is all you're being judged by, unless you really know people.

I like helpin so plz let me know if anyone has Q's

do I need my degree in anything computer related or will i be good with just certs and experience? im currently doing nursing..

do I need my degree in anything computer related or will i be good with just certs and experience? im currently doing nursing..

Originally Posted by Killa Kyleon

I have a degree in IT, got my Net+,A+ this summer. I was told if you dont get your certs by Dec.31st(comp tia) you'll have to renew them every 3 yrs or so. I was working on my Security + but my job threw a #+#++%%% of projects on our group so I've been pretty hammered. Sidenote anyone have experience with blade servers/sans/vmware 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

But back to OP, depending on what job your trying to get you'll prob need experience also. Certs didn't help get my job but it'll prob help me get another job if I quit. To me they are just like interns, just show you know/have experience in the field. Next up on my list Security and CCNA, need some study material for CCNA
nerd.gif

Ain't that the truth. Which is why I'm taking my Net+ before next month ends

Originally Posted by Killa Kyleon

I have a degree in IT, got my Net+,A+ this summer. I was told if you dont get your certs by Dec.31st(comp tia) you'll have to renew them every 3 yrs or so. I was working on my Security + but my job threw a #+#++%%% of projects on our group so I've been pretty hammered. Sidenote anyone have experience with blade servers/sans/vmware 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

But back to OP, depending on what job your trying to get you'll prob need experience also. Certs didn't help get my job but it'll prob help me get another job if I quit. To me they are just like interns, just show you know/have experience in the field. Next up on my list Security and CCNA, need some study material for CCNA
nerd.gif

Ain't that the truth. Which is why I'm taking my Net+ before next month ends

I've been in the help desk field for a bit now, for a government contractor..taking the next step up within a few months (and possibly a position within security as a future goal)

after college I never really wanted to utter the words studying again
laugh.gif
..as I've been slacking on the A+/N+ this year..

however, I do tend to work better under pressure so I am looking to complete both by the end of next month (A+ testing date is soon).

question for those that have taken both 220-701 and 220-702 for A+, did you take both tests on the same day? I'm just asking because my job provides all the training courses + material for free/reimbursement and they will only hand out the A+ 702 portion if you've passed the 701..

not that I have a problem with taking them on different days, I'd just rather get it over with.

and what software do you guys use/found the most helpful?

I've been on this kaplan stuff for a while now.

I've been in the help desk field for a bit now, for a government contractor..taking the next step up within a few months (and possibly a position within security as a future goal)

laugh.gif

however, I do tend to work better under pressure so I am looking to complete both by the end of next month (A+ testing date is soon).

question for those that have taken both 220-701 and 220-702 for A+, did you take both tests on the same day? I'm just asking because my job provides all the training courses + material for free/reimbursement and they will only hand out the A+ 702 portion if you've passed the 701..

not that I have a problem with taking them on different days, I'd just rather get it over with.

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

laugh.gif

After I took the 701, I waited about a week and took the 702.. I really didn't study much more after I passed the first test. I just took a few practice exams the day before.

I'm in school right now for IT, but wanted to start looking into certs to get ahead of the game. Don't have any at the moment. What books do you guys recommend to help me study for the A+ cert?
I used the Sybex A+ still have pdf form plus about 6 practice tests for the 701/2 if anyone needs. Pm me and I'll try to get them to you. I studied the exam cram for my Net +, have the Sybex Security + ebook bu thaven't looked at that in about 3 mths.
laugh.gif

also you guys should check out
professormesser.com for free A+ and net+ videos.
Those are decent...I used them after I studied for just a refresher and it helps to see/hear the stuff.

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

laugh.gif

After I took the 701, I waited about a week and took the 702.. I really didn't study much more after I passed the first test. I just took a few practice exams the day before.

I'm in school right now for IT, but wanted to start looking into certs to get ahead of the game. Don't have any at the moment. What books do you guys recommend to help me study for the A+ cert?
I used the Sybex A+ still have pdf form plus about 6 practice tests for the 701/2 if anyone needs. Pm me and I'll try to get them to you. I studied the exam cram for my Net +, have the Sybex Security + ebook bu thaven't looked at that in about 3 mths.
laugh.gif

also you guys should check out
professormesser.com for free A+ and net+ videos.
Those are decent...I used them after I studied for just a refresher and it helps to see/hear the stuff.

You definitely need the experience to back the certs, that's the main reason I've been at my job for 5 years and haven't motivated out of here yet.  I got my CCA (Citrix) since that's what I'm primarily working with but I'm trying to get off my !%! and go for that MCSE ... the security specialization you guys mentioned doesn't sound like a bad idea though. 

You definitely need the experience to back the certs, that's the main reason I've been at my job for 5 years and haven't motivated out of here yet.  I got my CCA (Citrix) since that's what I'm primarily working with but I'm trying to get off my !%! and go for that MCSE ... the security specialization you guys mentioned doesn't sound like a bad idea though. 

I graduated with a BS - Bus Admin : Decision Sciences (statistics, analytical math) and in IT support at my current job. I didn't plan to go down the IT route, but whatever. My boss suggests that I get my CCNA if I wanna stay in IT.

I graduated with a BS - Bus Admin : Decision Sciences (statistics, analytical math) and in IT support at my current job. I didn't plan to go down the IT route, but whatever. My boss suggests that I get my CCNA if I wanna stay in IT.

OP, I'm in the same position.

Graduating next year, and I've been considering getting an A+ cert specifically for the benefit of myself.  That way, when I land an entry level job I'll feel more confident doing any task while working under pressure.  I want to start studying, but finals is around the corner so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pass the test by the beginning of next year.  My plan is to get my A+, network+ and security+.  Still don't know what field within the IT department I'd like to focus on, so I look forward to doing an internship/entry level position to help determine that.  I think 'security' will always be a big part of any corporation especially with government institutes, so I strongly believe that a security+ cert is a must.

I recently had a conversation with a CEO of a big local IT company here in LA, and he highly recommended that I should focus on virtualization/VMware certs. in the future. Supposedly, this will be the next big thing among businesses (along with CLOUD) in the next couple of years.  Any inputs fellas?

OP, I'm in the same position.

Graduating next year, and I've been considering getting an A+ cert specifically for the benefit of myself.  That way, when I land an entry level job I'll feel more confident doing any task while working under pressure.  I want to start studying, but finals is around the corner so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pass the test by the beginning of next year.  My plan is to get my A+, network+ and security+.  Still don't know what field within the IT department I'd like to focus on, so I look forward to doing an internship/entry level position to help determine that.  I think 'security' will always be a big part of any corporation especially with government institutes, so I strongly believe that a security+ cert is a must.

I recently had a conversation with a CEO of a big local IT company here in LA, and he highly recommended that I should focus on virtualization/VMware certs. in the future. Supposedly, this will be the next big thing among businesses (along with CLOUD) in the next couple of years.  Any inputs fellas?

I have 5 years experience but no certifications. I need to get some certs for my resume to improve my chances of finding a good position. I think I am going to go for the A+, Net+, Security+ and MCSE. I took a 2 years of Cisco classes in high school but never took the exam to get my CCNA. I have to get back on that as well. I plan to have all these certs by May/June 2011. Any tips/resources are appreciated!!!

I have 5 years experience but no certifications. I need to get some certs for my resume to improve my chances of finding a good position. I think I am going to go for the A+, Net+, Security+ and MCSE. I took a 2 years of Cisco classes in high school but never took the exam to get my CCNA. I have to get back on that as well. I plan to have all these certs by May/June 2011. Any tips/resources are appreciated!!!

CCNA
security +
A+

MCSE if you have $ on exams. (thing is its an old cert ..year 2003 i dont know if we got this on 08)

for the experience part.... you gotta start somewhere.. like an intern.. hopefully entry level position if you know a lot of people

and if youre on the networking route and passed the CCNA.. might as well take it to the next step CCNP.

ME NO PASS wrote:

not really..but it puts you on the priority list on the stack of resumes they have..  why shift career paths tho? more cakes on that field but stressful  huh

CCNA
security +
A+

MCSE if you have $ on exams. (thing is its an old cert ..year 2003 i dont know if we got this on 08)

for the experience part.... you gotta start somewhere.. like an intern.. hopefully entry level position if you know a lot of people

and if youre on the networking route and passed the CCNA.. might as well take it to the next step CCNP.

ME NO PASS wrote:

not really..but it puts you on the priority list on the stack of resumes they have..  why shift career paths tho? more cakes on that field but stressful  huh

Get the A+/Net+ before 2011, many times. those get you the interview.. Shows initiative.  Your collegiate major either separates or group you in with other candidates.. helps create your profile.  From there its about the interview and what you can prove you know.  Experience(proven knowledge) in this field, as mentioned.. pretty much takes precedence over everything else.

Get the A+/Net+ before 2011, many times. those get you the interview.. Shows initiative.  Your collegiate major either separates or group you in with other candidates.. helps create your profile.  From there its about the interview and what you can prove you know.  Experience(proven knowledge) in this field, as mentioned.. pretty much takes precedence over everything else.

Originally Posted by Phen0m

So I need to take A+/Net+ before 2011 to avoid renewing every year? I thought it's just Net+

Originally Posted by Phen0m

So I need to take A+/Net+ before 2011 to avoid renewing every year? I thought it's just Net+

Back
Top Bottom