It took D12 six years to learn some post moves...

No one wants to admit it for some reason, but Ewing had some of the worst footwork ever and should have been kept away from Dwight at all costs on the offensive side of things. Ewing's game was his game. Solid, but awkward and not something to be taught, IMHO.

If Olajuwon was teaching Dwight from day one, D12 would be a much more reliable offensive player.

I think some people are putting too much blame on Dwight and the Magic coaching staff. At the end of the day, some players are just going to be more naturally gifted than others. No matter how well Dwight is coached, there are just some things you cant teach such as fluidity. Look at how natural Hakeem was performing those movements...the man is in his 40s with wobbly knees and he still looks as smooth as he was in the 90s. To me Dwight is one of those guys that is unbelievably athletic but is lacking in the necessary qualities that you need to be a skilled player...being fluid, having the instincts to attack your defender because you know he's not in a position to stop you, reading defenses, etc. You get the sense that this guy could spend 20-hours a day in the gym and he'd still be robotic on the offensive end. I dont think he'll ever be a great player but people will continue to be enamored with his impressive statistics and they'll continue to call him the best Center in the league (in a generation where there arent too many very good Cs).

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by Fatal Lightning

it's a bout damn time for howard to see hakeem, that he waited 6 years.. he's talking about bigger and taller players? how many are bigger than him? only shaq, i can think of. why did he only go for 3 days? working out 3 days isnt gonna make howard into a player with moves like hakeem.. besides he needs to first change his jumper/shot, cause it looks horrible.. you can tell when he shoots his freethrows.

anyways, i still don't think howard will be an mvp or nba champion. he doesnt have that killer instinct, all he does is make jokes and tries to be funny all the time. makes me question his commitment. with his height, vertical, he can easily lead the league in scoring like shaq did when he was with the magic.
�
roll.gif
@ saying Dwight lacks commitment, he's the best defensive player in the league for a reason. �Just because he's not like KG and tries to get tough with Calderon and talk trash from the bench doesn't mean he isn't serious when it comes tot he game. �Dwight is a naturally happy and jovial guy, he can't help if he smiles or jokes around.

Then you say "he should lead the league in scoring like Shaq did with the Magic", besides the fact that Shaq is one of the best centers of all time and was dominant offensively, the current Magic don't rely on Dwight to score 30 a night. �They surround him with 4 shooters and he controls the paint alone, it would be next to impossible for him to lead the NBA in scoring with the current offense around him.
no one is questioning his defensive commitment, but if you are in the league for 6 years, you gotta improve every year. and offensively he hasn't even done that. his game is still exactly the same as when he was a rookie. relying on dunks, no post up game whatsoever. you can be happy, that's cool. but he just jokes around and isnt a serious player. if he had the determination like other players, to be the best, the magic would probably change their entire game plan and put the ball in howard's hands a lot more, not surrounding him with shooters. they did that so that howard gets more spacing in the bucket, because they know his offense game is very limited.

he's a good player, but nowhere near MVP status. the only reason he dominates is because there are no true centers or ever players his height that have skill. except for duncan and an old @+$ Shaq

^
laugh.gif
wth?
If Howard can gets these post moves down he wont be stopped. Next on the list I would say is the free throw form and getting a bank shot.

Looks impressive... I'll wait until the season starts to fully judge though. Way different in game situations...

Im sure there be some provement atleast.

no one is questioning his defensive commitment, but if you are in the league for 6 years, you gotta improve every year. and offensively he hasn't even done that. his game is still exactly the same as when he was a rookie. relying on dunks, no post up game whatsoever. you can be happy, that's cool. but he just jokes around and isnt a serious player. if he had the determination like other players, to be the best, the magic would probably change their entire game plan and put the ball in howard's hands a lot more, not surrounding him with shooters. they did that so that howard gets more spacing in the bucket, because they know his offense game is very limited.

he's a good player, but nowhere near MVP status. the only reason he dominates is because there are no true centers or ever players his height that have skill. except for duncan and an old @+$ Shaq

Exactly the same? No post up? Give me a break. No one says Dwight is Hakeem Jr. out there, but he has a basic post move, he can hit a baby hook, he had a decent spin move, he isn't 100% clueless out there.  How is he not a serious player?  Because he jokes around off the court? Because he smiles a lot?  When he's on the court he's business.  He'll throw your shot into the 5th row, then smile about it.  You keep speaking in hypotheticals that have no way of being proved, "if he had determination" "the magic would probably change their gameplan" says who?  Do you follow D12 around in the offseason? Is he at Chuckie Cheese instead of practicing foul shots?  Fact is, Dwight has worked on his FT's, has worked on his post game, and maybe he's as good as possible given his natural ability.  Just because you have all the determination in the world doesn't mean you will improve, there's no exact science to it.
 And with the Magic game plan it goes both ways, do they put that offense around Dwight because of his limited skills? Or is that just the offense SVG wants to run, so there's no need for Dwight to develop a 30 ppg offensive game in their system?  Also, Dwight has been top 5 in MVP voting the last 3 years, with the defensive numbers he puts up, he wouldn't have to average that much more PPG to have a legit claim to the MVP.  25 ppg, lead the league in FG%, rebounds, and blocks, would get him the award.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Exactly the same? No post up? Give me a break. No one says Dwight is Hakeem Jr. out there, but he has a basic post move, he can hit a baby hook, he had a decent spin move, he isn't 100% clueless out there.  How is he not a serious player?  Because he jokes around off the court? Because he smiles a lot?  When he's on the court he's business.  He'll throw your shot into the 5th row, then smile about it.  You keep speaking in hypotheticals that have no way of being proved, "if he had determination" "the magic would probably change their gameplan" says who?  Do you follow D12 around in the offseason? Is he at Chuckie Cheese instead of practicing foul shots?  Fact is, Dwight has worked on his FT's, has worked on his post game, and maybe he's as good as possible given his natural ability.  Just because you have all the determination in the world doesn't mean you will improve, there's no exact science to it.
 And with the Magic game plan it goes both ways, do they put that offense around Dwight because of his limited skills? Or is that just the offense SVG wants to run, so there's no need for Dwight to develop a 30 ppg offensive game in their system?  Also, Dwight has been top 5 in MVP voting the last 3 years, with the defensive numbers he puts up, he wouldn't have to average that much more PPG to have a legit claim to the MVP.  25 ppg, lead the league in FG%, rebounds, and blocks, would get him the award.

hard work+ determination = improvement. doesnt seem to me like he's getting better at his game. the fact that he is bigger and stronger and can jump allows him to score all his points. there is no finesse in his game at all. you can say he has a jump hook, but honestly it looks really pitiful, just throw it at the rim hoping it goes in. even yao ming has more skills. Howard has a lot of physical talents, but true basketball skills, no...dont you think that if howard worked harder on his game, improved every summer, that eventually the magic would change their system, since they know no one would be able to stop howard one on one? he isnt even good at free throw shooting, his form is terrible. look at shane battier, changed his entire shot cause it wasnt working.

just cause dwight howard has great defensive numbers doesnt mean he should be a legit claim as an mvp. eventually, if howard doesnt work on his post up game, as he gets older, he's gonna be a bum. he's physical talents will catch up with his age, and then he will only be a defense presence that's all.

All i gotta say is wow @ Hakeem still being in such great shape at his age. 
The Dream is THAT dude 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I bet if he joined pick-up games at any local gym he'd still be schoolin cats left and right, embarrassing them with double the age. 

The man is very under-appreciated, definitely one of the, if not best Centers of all time. 
smokin.gif

Its better late than never, the fact is Dwight cares and Dwight tries...so i gotta give him props, regardless of how much he'll really improve he GENUINELY wants to be better and his work ethic shows it. Gotta respect that.
glasses.gif

Dope video.
It's always cool to see hall of famers helping the younger generation.

If D12 gets his footwork right in the post then it's curtains.

He already has the power to get to his spot, now it's about getting in the best position to score.

He's still young and I'm sure he'll develop as a good offensive player when he stops relying on his athletic ability.

He's still young and I'm sure he'll develop as a good offensive player when he stops relying on his athletic ability.
Exactly, he's 24 years old still. People talking about "Oh no, what's he gonna do when he loses his athletic ability?"

Well when the hell is that gonna happen?

Dwight looked good against Yao last game, a player that consistently outplayed him. But on the other hand Yao is mad rusty so I would like to see some consistency from Dwight first.

Hakeem himself was offensively raw when he entered the league and relied much on his athleticism like Dwight, a far cry from his 1992-95 smoothness. But he was never as raw as Dwight though..

Speaking of Hakeem, check out this vid that was recently uploaded on youtube, where Mutombo really makes him work for his points and he keeps drowning shots. It's amazing how passive the commentators are considering the sickness of his moves, I guess they got used to him pulling off moves and shots like that..

Props to D. Howard. I'm excited to see him put some of these moves to use in the regular season. Still, he clearly has a long way to go. Hakeem is much more fluid with his moves, meanwhile Dwight looks like a stiff (for lack of a better term).

that video of Hakeem against mutombo is just crazy.. he was pulling those moves off against mutumbo
eek.gif
... Hakeem is my favorite center of all time... easy...

Back
Top Bottom