Iverson - " I'll Retire before i do this again.."....... on his role on Piston.

Iverson is too good for the Pistons ... They're a grimey team .

I wish he could have stayed with the Nuggets or go to a team like Orlando .

So A.I. is the new D. Wade now
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

So A.I. is the new D. Wade now
eyes.gif

Yep. D-Wade never won a championship, never won a gold medal, and has been a member of 3 squads in as many years.

Mr.TraSoul82, by 3 squads I assume you are refering to thr eastern conference all star team, the Olympians and the Heat correct? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by gladiator25

Mr.TraSoul82, by 3 squads I assume you are refering to thr eastern conference all star team, the Olympians and the Heat correct? Thanks in advance.
laugh.gif
I think you misunderstood man. He was talkin aboutIverson.......

I really hope he saved a lot of that 150 mil he has made during his career because I don't see a contending team paying him next year.

No contending team will add him unless he accepts a diminished role.

Originally Posted by gladiator25

laugh.gif
roll.gif

This isn't a shock to me as I've always thought Iverson as selfish and pretty one dimensional. However, I still have way more respect for him thanMarbury. He recognizes he's limited. He needs the ball and knows that one day, he's not gonna be able to keep up with young bucks. At that point,he's gonna retire. He's mad that Detroit thinks he can't focus, but at least he's restraining his comments and is willing to retire. He couldhave pulled a Marbury and made it more about money than respect. Jordan wasn't exactly a pleasing personality. However, Jordan and Iverson made it to theFinals their way. They were clearly people so good, that they could make it deep in the playoffs through both their talents and will. Plus, Iverson was stillputting up monster numbers up until very recently. Marbury was never their level even though he thought he was. He's more like Derrick Coleman than an alltime great. Very good, but not great. Not worth the emotional baggage. That's besides the pure money grubbing. I guess Sprewell is the best contemporaryfor Marbury. Even Artest, despite his temper, can be seen as "classier" than Marbury.

Allen's a tough player and I respect his style of play. He always plays hard and battles it out to the final buzzer of the game, but there comes a point intime when teams do start to look more at younger players to develop them as legitimate stars and Allen Iverson's time is over...

Teams are no longer going to invest the time in focusing on Allen Iverson's one dimensional style of putting up 25-30 shots a game when it has been proventhat Allen's style of playing is not condusive to winning. He's a very talented player. He still can be a contributing player in the league but he hasNEVER made anyone around him better.

When he played for the Sixers, teams game planned for just him alone because they knew he wasn't going to pass the ball up very much because his primaryconcern was scoring for the most part. When he came to the Nuggets, Carmelo was already an established player in the league and the thought process was to haveA.I. come in and be more of a role player...and to be honest I thought he made out better with Denver than at any time during his career because he didn'thave to be the main focal point of the team...

Allen is a 6' PG with the ability to score, pass, and most importantly run an offense. For the better part of his career, he has been the only player withover 25 ppg but when you jack up shot after shot after shot......it's time to stop wondering why you're not as important to a team's chemistry asyou would have liked.

why would you want a player that can still give you 20 something points every night and play his heart out on the bench? yeah he hasnt been the best shooter inthe world, but one thing none of y'all can do is question his heart on the beasketball court. iverson wants to win, but he wants to win in his way. andstill wants to be the man. and every team in the league already has their 2 guard and doesnt want to trade for him

^ he needs to realize that HIS way does not lead to winning. Iverson may want to win but he's too dumb, too stubborn and selfish to realize that he is pasthis prime

Originally Posted by codex57

This isn't a shock to me as I've always thought Iverson as selfish and pretty one dimensional. However, I still have way more respect for him than Marbury. He recognizes he's limited. He needs the ball and knows that one day, he's not gonna be able to keep up with young bucks. At that point, he's gonna retire. He's mad that Detroit thinks he can't focus, but at least he's restraining his comments and is willing to retire. He could have pulled a Marbury and made it more about money than respect. Jordan wasn't exactly a pleasing personality. However, Jordan and Iverson made it to the Finals their way. They were clearly people so good, that they could make it deep in the playoffs through both their talents and will. Plus, Iverson was still putting up monster numbers up until very recently. Marbury was never their level even though he thought he was. He's more like Derrick Coleman than an all time great. Very good, but not great. Not worth the emotional baggage. That's besides the pure money grubbing. I guess Sprewell is the best contemporary for Marbury. Even Artest, despite his temper, can be seen as "classier" than Marbury.
Not true, sir. Jordan made it to the finals once he committed to a system and realized that he needed to get his teammates involved. Jordanstarted his career as a chucker but then rounded out his game to reach the level he did.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

This isn't a shock to me as I've always thought Iverson as selfish and pretty one dimensional. However, I still have way more respect for him than Marbury. He recognizes he's limited. He needs the ball and knows that one day, he's not gonna be able to keep up with young bucks. At that point, he's gonna retire. He's mad that Detroit thinks he can't focus, but at least he's restraining his comments and is willing to retire. He could have pulled a Marbury and made it more about money than respect. Jordan wasn't exactly a pleasing personality. However, Jordan and Iverson made it to the Finals their way. They were clearly people so good, that they could make it deep in the playoffs through both their talents and will. Plus, Iverson was still putting up monster numbers up until very recently. Marbury was never their level even though he thought he was. He's more like Derrick Coleman than an all time great. Very good, but not great. Not worth the emotional baggage. That's besides the pure money grubbing. I guess Sprewell is the best contemporary for Marbury. Even Artest, despite his temper, can be seen as "classier" than Marbury.
Not true, sir. Jordan made it to the finals once he committed to a system and realized that he needed to get his teammates involved. Jordan started his career as a chucker but then rounded out his game to reach the level he did.
no wrong...jordan made it to the finals once he got a supporting cast..jordan started as a shooter and ended as a shooter..in the middle somewherehe had players he could trust with the ball..and much better leadership than allen iverson

you kno the common sense question that nobody wants to answer is (drumroll please) what nba superstar would want to come off the bench and take the rollhe's taking (dont worry I will wait again)

Well, if there's one thing we can gather from this, it's that AI's fan base plays way better defense than he could ever imagine playing. And they even use teamwork. How ironic.

that was lame as hell...what an observation..

Originally Posted by jefffort5

Not true, sir. Jordan made it to the finals once he committed to a system and realized that he needed to get his teammates involved. Jordan started his career as a chucker but then rounded out his game to reach the level he did.
no wrong...jordan made it to the finals once he got a supporting cast..jordan started as a shooter and ended as a shooter..in the middle somewhere he had players he could trust with the ball..and much better leadership than allen iverson

you kno the common sense question that nobody wants to answer is (drumroll please) what nba superstar would want to come off the bench and take the roll he's taking (dont worry I will wait again)
4 Questions:

Do you realize that there is more to basketball than just offense?

Do you realize that Michael Jordan was member of the All-Defensive 1st team 9 times in his career?

Do you also realize that Iverson has never made an All-Defensive squad (and I don't mean the creation of his fan base)?

Do you realize that (drumroll please) Iverson is no longer a superstar?

Pistons coach Curry on Iverson
"It just didn't work; it didn't blend well," coach Michael Curry said before Saturday's 95-90 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers. "There was a lot to do with guys changing roles and accepting different roles you have to play. It's unfortunate things didn't go as we thought they would."

The Pistons announced Friday that Iverson will sit out the rest of the season to rest his injured back.

"Hopefully, the time off will get his body back to top condition and be prepared for free agency," Curry said.

Curry believes his players now will be able to get comfortable in their new roles without the uncertainty involving Iverson. Arron Afflalo will back up Richard Hamilton and likely gain more playing time with the change. Afflalo played 7:33, scoring five points.

The fact Hamilton and Iverson played the same position and are the Pistons' two most aggressive offensive players made things difficult.

"We didn't play as well with them in the backcourt together early on," Curry said.
He's still a starter in this league; he's going to have a lot of success," Curry said. "This was a tough situation this year. As he gets older, he'll have to do different thing so his body can hold up for the rigors of an NBA season. He'll probably have to adapt a little bit, because I'm not sure how many teams will be centered just around him, but he's still a very capable player, and at times this year, he was really, really good for us.
"A lot of things maybe I could have done better, and the players could have done better, and maybe he could have done better. All of us, we haven't gotten it done this year. By no means do I want to make it seem it was just on Allen.

no wrong...jordan made it to the finals once he got a supporting cast..jordan started as a shooter and ended as a shooter..in the middle somewhere he had players he could trust with the ball..and much better leadership than allen iverson

you kno the common sense question that nobody wants to answer is (drumroll please) what nba superstar would want to come off the bench and take the roll he's taking (dont worry I will wait again)
4 Questions:

Do you realize that Michael Jordan was member of the All-Defensive 1st team 9 times in his career?

Do you also realize that Iverson has never made an All-Defensive squad (and I don't mean the creation of his fan base)?

where.where..is those 4 questions u just asked knocked my theory that jordan didnt hit the finals until he got a good supporting cast...hmmmm notone of em

4 Questions:

where.where..is those 4 questions u just asked knocked my theory that jordan didnt hit the finals until he got a good supporting cast...hmmmm not one of em

There are plenty of reasons of why Jordan finally made it to the finals and was successful. Did you know thatthe flagrant foul was introduced due to the way the Pistons were literally beating him up (as well as other Bulls) in the Eastern Conference Finals of 1988?I'm sure that the rule changes helped Jordan get over the hump as well. Jordan likely would have already had trips to the finals if those rules werealready in place. You actually think Jordan suddenly got a team and wallah, he's suddenly got 3 titles in a row? It wasn't an extra commitment todefense or becoming the closest thing to a player/coach the game has seen since Bill Russell? It had nothing to do with the formation of what would later bereferred to as "The Breakfast Club"?
Spoiler [+]
Yes, we're talking about "practice."

This is just more proof that the average AI supporter is just a casual fan of basketball and doesn't know the history of the game. I'll also let you inon something: I choose my specific questions carefully and when you dodge them, just as others have throughout this post, you're basically proving my pointfor me. AI had the potential to be a champion, but he never had the commitment of a champion. If you don't respect your craft, ultimately your craft willnot respect you. This is how an MVP can become a journeyman. You are witnessing it live and in color.

where.where..is those 4 questions u just asked knocked my theory that jordan didnt hit the finals until he got a good supporting cast...hmmmm not one of em
i hope this argument of 'he never had good players around' gets dropped quick. he's always had a number two option (stackhouse,hughes, robinson, webber, iggy) and big men (deke, webber, coleman, hill). But those players got ran out of town.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

i hope this argument of 'he never had good players around' gets dropped quick. he's always had a number two option (stackhouse, hughes, robinson, webber, iggy) and big men (deke, webber, coleman, hill). But those players got ran out of town.

Are you serious?
laugh.gif

Stackhouse = Wasn't Iversons fault, he didn't demand nor did he asked for him to be traded
Hughes = Reason he got traded was because he didn't like to play the SF position
Robinson = Dude played like what less than 10 games as a Sixers? He was basically done when he got to Philly
Webber = Dude was in the downfall of his career, bad knee and everything
Iggy = Was the most recent and they had success together

Deke, Coleman, Hill, = Deke is probably the best out of the 3 but other than that TYRONE HILL, DERRICK COLEMAN?!?

You telling me that Larry Hughes, Tyrone Hill, Old age Webber, Glenn Robinson, Derrick Coleman are good 2nd options?

Iverson never had the Shaq to Kobe, Duncan to Parker, Pippen to Jordan, he never had an All Star offensive calibur 2nd option.

Please don't include Webber because when he came in 04 he wasn't an All Star anymore.

^they all seemed to be averaging pretty good numbers to me. even webber at an old age. while they were not the best supporting cast, they were still goodplayers. aside from robinson and webber (i suppose), iverson couldn't co-exist with any of his teammates. we can take it a step further and talk abouthis cast in denver. defend him not being successful in denver with carmelo, camby, nene, smith and whoever else was on that squad last year. you can't. denver was a better team with andre miller and now, an even better team with billups. he's had opportunities to succeed, in Philly and in Denver but itjust never panned out and i think it's a direct result of the style of offense he demands from the team: an offense that is solely to revolve around theball in his hands.

maybe the reason he never had a second option was because he refused a second option to exist as long as he's on the court. to iverson, he was both firstand second options.

that shouldn't change the fact that iverson should know when he should change his style of play in order to fit the team's needs. swallow your pride alittle bit. nobody wants to become a role player after being a superstar in the league, but sacrifices should be made in order to win. if he wants to winunder his own terms, then that's cool. if he's able to accomplish that, more power to him. but the fact of the matter is, for the past 10+ seasons,it hasn't been working out (he's gotten close, but it never happened).

Back
Top Bottom