Iverson - " I'll Retire before i do this again.."....... on his role on Piston.

The other AI thread died so...
Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by SLAM Ed

I kind of wish AI would come out and say: "Do I want to win a championship? Yes. But I want to win it my way, and my way involves starting, playing 40-plus minutes and shooting whenever I want. And if I have to choose between the two, I'd rather get the minutes and the shots." I guess that's sort of what he was getting at, but damn, just come right out and say it. "If I have to come off the bench to win a ring, then I don't want one."
Word.

THE FOLLOWING WAS RELEASED BY THE PISTONS TODAY

ALLEN IVERSON TO MISS REMAINDER OF SEASON

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that guard Allen Iverson will miss the remainder of theseason. The all-star guard missed 16 games between February 27 and March 28 after exiting a game at New Orleans with a sore back on February 25.

"After talking with Allen and our medical staff, we feel that resting Allen for the remainder of the season is the best course of action at thistime," said Dumars. "While he has played in our last three games, he is still feeling some discomfort and getting him physically ready to compete atthe level he is accustomed to playing this late in the season does not seem possible at this point."

Iverson returned to action on March 29 versus Philadelphia and scored eight points with two assists and two rebounds in 21 minutes. In his three games backsince the initial injury, he has averaged 7.7 points, 1.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 18.7 minutes per game.

Acquired by the Pistons from Denver on November 3, the 6-foot-0 guard has appeared in 54 games this season (50 starts) averaging 17.4 points, 3.1 rebounds and4.9 assists in 36.5 minutes per game.

"After talking with Allen and our medical staff, we feel that resting Allen for the remainder of the season is the best course of action at this time," said Dumars. "While he has played in our last three games, he is still feeling some discomfort and getting him physically ready to compete at the level he is accustomed to playing this late in the season does not seem possible at this point."
keyword for Iverson told him to either play him more minutes or dont play him at all
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Shocking...

I'm not about to get into another Allen Iverson post though... My feelings about him were made clear whenever jmoneybaggz was around...
laugh.gif

He's the perfect fit for what the Mavericks need, though...
smh.gif

"After talking with Allen and our medical staff, we feel that resting Allen for the remainder of the season is the best course of action at thistime," said Dumars. "While he has played in our last three games, he is still feeling some discomfort and getting him physically ready to compete atthe level he is accustomed to playing this late in the season does not seem possible at this point."

This is a Lame excuse. How you gonna rest a player the rest of the season when he will not be there the next. This is a BS excuse from the pistons. Iversontold them either play me or i'm not playing

Word. Detroit is a bum @%+ franchise?.... hmmm 6 consecutive ECF, 2 NBA Finals, 1 title in the last 6 years. Of course they suck
eyes.gif
I wouldn't besurprised if they won the rest of their games in the regular season now that Iverson has quit.

I have several problems with many of the arguments here

I Find it ohhhh so intersting how so many of you bring up how Iverson has no rings. Well you know what at least he carried a team to the finals and won 1 gameagainst arguably one of the best finals teams EVER. Why do guys like

STEVE NASH get a pass . Son has never even played a finals game. Yet no one really brings it up, oh its okay its steve nash

I cant wait when AI gets in the hall of fame first ballot and all you guys are back and on his jock. Listen athletes have downturns in their careers. This isiversons. Remember hakeem on the raptors, ewing on the magic lol i wont even say where "god in shoes" played. hurts me too much.

But everyone relax. Iverson is a hall of famer and Duncan, Shaq, Iverson Kobe, Garnett. are the 5 players that make up the best of our generation list.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

^ and what about J.R. Smith on the Nuggets? He seems to be flourishing in a non-AI environment.

The follow is from the other thread I had started, which is discussing the same thing. At the end, I try my best to help the casual fans understand why AI will never be successful, regardless of where he goes.
Originally Posted by jefffort5

Originally Posted by jefffort5

Originally Posted by BangDak

^well now that i think about it, i understand the reason of stuckey starting.
A.I. was NEVER in the plans for the future. the pistons just took him for his expiring contract, so why play a player who has no future here?
might as well start your future pg (which i believe is horrible)

I have no qualms about admitting my problems with AI. I never really like him coming into Denver, but I drank the Kool-Aid and cheered for my team. I am just adamant about how his play and attitude negatively effects the team concept. You can look at AI's stats all day, but he still dribbles too much and there is no stat for it. He NEEDS the ball and, as he's made it clear, he NEEDS TIME with the ball. He also needs time to get into a "groove" and get into the "flow of the game" and all that other nonsense he's talking about. And he also has to start, he's tried coming off the bench for an entire TWO GAMES and it's just not working out.
laugh.gif
And he started complaining after just 1 game, which is why I started this thread.

But really, how can you defend a guy while his team is falling out of the Eastern playoff picture, and he's talking about retirement. Really? Is NOW really the time to talk about how unhappy he is and how he'll walk away from basketball before he tries coming off the bench again. But of course, he'll do whatever the coach says, including showing up to every practice.
laugh.gif
I just wonder if ANYTHING is ever his fault, according to his fan base.

Check page 2 of this thread and you will see where I guaranteed AI would bring up retirement. No Edits have been done, it's been there.

My main goal is to get his fan base to become actual basketball fans and to understand why true fans and respecters of the game can see AI for what he is these days. Can AI still put up numbers? Technically yes, but he'll have a hard time finding a coach who will let him do it these days. His me-first attitude is something that is well documented and coaches and front offices (and USA Basketball) can see it from a mile away. It would take a special kind of desperation for a coach to let AI run things like he did in his Philly days. His clout account currently has insufficient funds. Couple that with the fact that he has no intentions of truly giving the team concept a chance and what you have is AI walking away from a game he could still contribute to if he would just understand that everything doesn't start and end with him. He may still be the answer, but the question changed a long time ago. It is also my goal to get AI fans to understand that inefficient volume scoring =/= being the best. I just see it as people helping people, and I intend to do my part.
A.I. was never a good fit for the nuggets. they needed a real PG, not a shoot first mentality guy to chuck more shots.

The pistons are not falling out of hte playoff picture because of a.i. its because they legitimately just arn't good enough.

To me, it seems like you just have a gruge against his "shoot first mentality" and "ball hog" ways. honestly, i dont see anything wrong with the way A.I is playing right now. watch a piston games, you cant just possibly put the loss on him.
co-sign..and it being your main goal to get ai fans to do this and that is hating in itself....me personally..dude has done some dumb stuff..but cmon now...lebron was talking knicks not too long ago he got slammed bu not like ppl slammin ai..AND what scorer hasnt had a shot first mentality?

and another thing..i hate that "basketball fans" blah blah blah "respecters of the game" bs outta here..all that goes out the window when u start paying ppl for the sport..its now entertainment first...so all that respect for the game bs is out the window..it really makes me mad when ppl say that

and its not about finding him a coach that will let hiim do what he did in philly..he just doesnt have it anymore..plain and simple..he is 5'10 165 with a ton of injuries..he's not as fast or explosive as he use to be when he was in philly...wrap it up...its time for him to reitre..and im a ai fan and i said since the beginging of the yr its time for him to retire..
When I say "respecter of the game" I'm not saying you need to go read James Naismith's autobiography before you speak to me about basketball. I'm just saying that you have to realize that the game of b-ball is more than about scoring. And there is more to defense than going for steals. AI was one of the most exciting players to step out onto a court due to his offensive talent. But this Myth about how much success he would have had if he was just on this team or that team or if he just had the right big man... it's just nonsense. AI's style of ball for the most part doesn't help team success. So while his play is entertaining, I just don't want it being confused with sound basketball. It's easy to say, "swap AI for Kobe and AI would have 3 rings too". But then you would have to imagine AI playing in the triangle offense. That would be a sight to behold. You would also have to find a defensive replacement for Kobe too.

And please stop accusing me of blaming Detroit's losses on AI. I have NEVER solely blamed AI for Detroit's struggles (feel free to search for quotes). What I am blaming him for is contradicting himself on how he would embrace the team and sacrifice and do whatever it takes to win. But for every logical statement I give there will be the accusation of "hate" (guilty), and then a ridiculous hypothetical of what pieces AI would have needed to get a ring.

I still think it's funny that his fans are confused about whether or no he has lost a step. I still think he has the skills to do what he does best in a slightly declined state, but again coaches are going to protect their teams from that.
like i said..when that whole theory of "this is still basketball" or "respecter of the game" goes out the window once u have tmobile nba commercials, etc. once it becomes a form of entertainment your tainting the sport from jump..thats why i dont understand how ppl get so mad at steriod use..i mean..u want these dudes to entertain you..if they wasnt doing sum of the incredible stuff they do..fans would decline and everything would go down from there, etc.

Basketball is basketball...but basketball + million dollar contracts = entertainment..at that point u can it for what it is...

EUREKA! That's a nice drawn out way of saying you're a casual NBA fan as opposed to an avid or diehard fan. I could gather that from the way you confuse being a great scorer with being a great basketball player. That's fine, but I actually follow the game and have come to appreciate it, whether or not millions of dollars are being exchanged. Of course it's entertainment, but it's entertainment with a purpose. This isn't like WWE (most of the time), where backstage pull determines results. It's competitive entertainment. Winners are rewarded and losers are not, which is why AI has said he wants a ring. He wants to be remembered as a winner.

Allen 'I'verson said:

"I'd rather retire before I do this again," Iverson said. "I can't be effective playing this way. I'm not used to it. It's tough for me both mentally and physically. If I'm able to go out there, I should be able to get it done and I can't right now. It's my fault. I have to be able to overcome the adversity and do what I have to do. I just have to find a way to get it done. Not being 100 percent makes it harder and you can see that I'm not 100 percent."

im glad u appreciate it..very glad..but there is a big difference in the game of basketball when players are being paid millions of dollars i.e.college basketball being better than NBA basketball

Also i never once confused being a great scorer with a great basketball player
and i dont wanna keep killing you with common sense but lets try summin out

Allen 'I'verson said:

"We'd rather retire before WE do this again," Iverson said. "We can't be effective playing this way. We're not used to it. It's tough for US both mentally and physically. If We're able to go out there, We should be able to get it done and We can't right now. It's Our fault. We have to be able to overcome the adversity and do what We have to do. We just have to find a way to get it done. Not being 100 percent makes it harder and you can see that We're not 100 percent."

that whole we/us stuff doesnt make sense when a player is talking about retireing...cuz u kno...he can only control himself when it comes to thataspect...or does this not make sense? idk..

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

I Find it ohhhh so intersting how so many of you bring up how Iverson has no rings. Well you know what at least he carried a team to the finals and won 1 game against arguably one of the best finals teams EVER. Why do guys like

STEVE NASH get a pass .
Son has never even played a finals game. Yet no one really brings it up, oh its okay its steve nash

I cant wait when AI gets in the hall of fame first ballot and all you guys are back and on his jock. Listen athletes have downturns in their careers. This is iversons. Remember hakeem on the raptors, ewing on the magic lol i wont even say where "god in shoes" played. hurts me too much.

But everyone relax. Iverson is a hall of famer and Duncan, Shaq, Iverson Kobe, Garnett. are the 5 players that make up the best of our generation list.
You must not know me.
laugh.gif

Hi, I'm CP1708 and I do not, under any circumstances, back Steve Nash for anything more then a system PG. A solid pro, a fun guy to watch, nothing more. Trust me when I'm talkin to you.
laugh.gif

Couple weeks back there was a thread, AI or Nash for the HOF. I was Iverson by 10,000 miles. Not even a slight hesitation.

But, in that thread I saw some of things said about AI and I was like, whoa, hold on now boys, back up. But it was too late. The damn broke and I saw whatpeople had in their heads. Soon after, there was an AI vs Isiah Thomas thread. This time it was also easy for me. Isiah by 10,000 miles. And again, the AIguys were goin CRAZY in there. And that's when I realized, there is a really skewed opinion of AI round these parts.

And it's unfortunate.

Despite AI's yearning for "individualism" on teams, i think AI got railroaded by Dumars. Team made him a bit of a scapegoat too

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Despite AI's yearning for "individualism" on teams, i think AI got railroaded by Dumars. Team made him a bit of a scapegoat too
QFT

^ and what about J.R. Smith on the Nuggets? He seems to be flourishing in a non-AI environment.
JR been ballin. He started ballin in the 2nd half of last season when Karl finally gave him more minutes. Can't really blame A.I. for thatone, that was all Karl.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

I Find it ohhhh so intersting how so many of you bring up how Iverson has no rings. Well you know what at least he carried a team to the finals and won 1 game against arguably one of the best finals teams EVER. Why do guys like

STEVE NASH get a pass .
Son has never even played a finals game. Yet no one really brings it up, oh its okay its steve nash

I cant wait when AI gets in the hall of fame first ballot and all you guys are back and on his jock. Listen athletes have downturns in their careers. This is iversons. Remember hakeem on the raptors, ewing on the magic lol i wont even say where "god in shoes" played. hurts me too much.

You must not know me.
laugh.gif

Hi, I'm CP1708 and I do not, under any circumstances, back Steve Nash for anything more then a system PG. A solid pro, a fun guy to watch, nothing more. Trust me when I'm talkin to you.
laugh.gif

Couple weeks back there was a thread, AI or Nash for the HOF. I was Iverson by 10,000 miles. Not even a slight hesitation.

But, in that thread I saw some of things said about AI and I was like, whoa, hold on now boys, back up. But it was too late. The damn broke and I saw what people had in their heads. Soon after, there was an AI vs Isiah Thomas thread. This time it was also easy for me. Isiah by 10,000 miles. And again, the AI guys were goin CRAZY in there. And that's when I realized, there is a really skewed opinion of AI round these parts.

And it's unfortunate.
im a ai fan..but im taking isiah over ai anyday

those people that are hating on iverson are just dumbasses, cause when he was mvp and doing great everybody was in love with him. and look at all those peoplenow? only thing i dont like about him is his work ethic..

he's not gonna play for detroit anymore, and he's not gonna retire, he's gonna end up on some sucky team that has no chance of making it to theplayoffs, cause no one wants him. the only way he'll play is when he plays his way. and that is not riding the bench for 3 qt's.

but joe d was really high on iverson, cause this is the 2nd time he tried to get him..so joe d is an idiot, cause he knew what he was getting. letting chaunceygo was the dumbest thing, and because of chauncey the pistons won the championship and all those division titles. he's the one that set up the offense, noone else.

i just hope that he can set his pride aside and play for another team coming off the bench or starting and playing less minutes. but iverson is iverson. and hewont change even though he says he will..

about that comment iverson/kobe, there is none. cause even though they both are former mvp and mvp doesn't mean anything. people that say kobe doesn'tshare the ball and is selfish, dont know what they are talking about. kobe sacrificed a lot of his game to keep shaq happy. he could score every time down theroad. but because he gave up a lot of shots, he won a championship. that's why yao and tmac isnt working cause tmac is not willing to take 2nd place.

so iverson and shaq would never work. also, coming into the season in shape helps a lot too, shaq didn't which is why there was a fight about who was the#1 option on offense.. y'all would feel the same thing, cause if your teammate ate burgers all summer and is out of shape and you've been working outall summer, getting better every day, you'd want to show that too. besides, tex winter said kobe didn't take selfish or bad shots too.

iverson still has game, but he has to play an uptempo game, cause he's not the youngest anymore that can take all that beating in the paint, and hisoutside shot is not the best... or he should start playing the point.. eventually he might end up like stephon. if that's not the case already..

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

enough said.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by BangDak

lilstar, just give up. some people are just too stubborn...
Oh word? Some people are too stubborn? Like when you tell them that their favorite player has never won a God damn thing in his entire life and they still say he's a winner?

Or when guys in here cryin "the pistons players just don't like Ai, they're so mean to him"

Or when his riders go on and on about how "if you just let AI play to HIS strengths, the team will be better" even though it's a team game and Ai can't seem to change his game to a TEAM because it doesn't suit AI.

Or how they contiually ignore the fact that these same problems come up with each and every single team that AI has played for and yet, they just gloss over that and pretend it doesn't mean anything. (notice how Philly and Denver are much more quieter and lockerroom friendly without mr AI?)

Or how people are in here straight BLAMING guys like Prince and Rip (I of course give you guys Sheed, dude has always been a problem) but Prince and Rip who won in college and have won in the NBA are all of a sudden going to tank games just because they don't like AI??????

You mean stubborn like that? Oh, you're right, I'm stubborn. I keep stubbornly wasting my time telling you people how it is, but since AI is a hero cuz he keeps it real and has tatoos and wears cornrows and plays hard there's no POSSIBLE way anything else I've said is true. Heaven forbid someone speaks on ya'lls hero like that.
grin.gif

It's real simple. AI = not a winner. FACT.
No where did i agree that you build a team around A.I. dude is just too old to build around him and "play" by his style.

The fact is, everywhere A.I. went, they didn't need him. both the pistons and the nuggets need a real point guard, not another shooting guard.

If you indeed watch games from the beginning, RIP and Prince just had no effort.

I'm just calling some of yall stubborn, because why cant you look at it from his point of view? asking any starter to go to the bench and theres going tobe locker room problems, and you're telling a SUPERSTAR to go to the bench? thats straight up disrespectful. although i see the reason to ask him to go tothe bench, (he was never in the long term plans, he was just here because of his contract) you can at least play the dude more then 18 minutes.

AI has brought a lot of this hate on himself, but having said that some of yall are OD. Like I said in the other thread

Pistons weren't winning WITH or WITHOUT Iverson, I don't know why people don't understand that

The other AI thread died so...

Originally Posted by SLAM Ed

I kind of wish AI would come out and say: "Do I want to win a championship? Yes. But I want to win it my way, and my way involves starting, playing 40-plus minutes and shooting whenever I want. And if I have to choose between the two, I'd rather get the minutes and the shots." I guess that's sort of what he was getting at, but damn, just come right out and say it. "If I have to come off the bench to win a ring, then I don't want one."
Word.
tired.gif

for the superstar he is or at least once was, he not getting a whole lot of respect from anyone. and i think allen iverson is right, howcan you trade for himand then put him on the bench? it's not like rodney stuckey is freaking michael jordan.. and the hardest part must've been being a starter all hiscareer, then getting traded and put on the bench behind a player that is not even better than him or even close to him. iverson proved to the world that he canplay, stuckey is doing his own thing now, but they hope that he'll develop in the player they want him to be

CP1708 wrote:
Do you think AI cares about winning? Truthfull answer. Not the same regurgitated stuff AI people say, do YOU think AI cares about winning?

Yes.
I think he obviously also cares about producing too. But honestly, name me a big time scorer who wouldn't react the same way he did? Son averaged 26 justlast year! You dudes are acting like he "lost it" in less than 12 months.

Mez 0ne wrote:
How is Detroit a joke? AI was given the minutes and the team was losing, he sits out and Rip is back in the lineup (where he should be) and they are back to winning ball games.
Interesting that there is no mention of when Rip was hurt and AI was starting and the Pistons reeled off 5 straight and 6 out of 7 with the onlyloss being a 1 pt loss to the Blazers.
nerd.gif

As a matter of fact, you had a 16 game window where AI didn't play. And what was the Pissed Ons record during that stretch? 8-8
nerd.gif

TraSoul82 wrote:

Allen 'I'verson said:

"I'd rather retire before I do this again," Iverson said. "I can't be effective playing this way. I'm not used to it. It's tough for me both mentally and physically. If I'm able to go out there, I should be able to get it done and I can't right now. It's my fault. I have to be able to overcome the adversity and do what I have to do. I just have to find a way to get it done. Not being 100 percent makes it harder and you can see that I'm not 100 percent."

I just LOVE how everyone overlooks AI acknowledging the blame for this.... It's my fault. I have to be able to overcome the adversity and do what I have to do. I just have to find a way to getit done.

CP1708 wrote:
Or how people are in here straight BLAMING guys like Prince and Rip (I of course give you guys Sheed, dude has always been a problem) but Prince and Rip who won in college and have won in the NBA are all of a sudden going to tank games just because they don't like AI??????

Rip has always been a selfish, egotistical player. I don't see how he keeps getting a pass for HISsulking when he was on the bench and AI was starting. Not to mention, everytime dude comes to MSG, he gets ejectedfrom the game.
laugh.gif

When was the last time you saw AI get ejected from a game? Dude loves to PLAY. And he plays hard when he's out there. I just can't fathom how you guyscan even question his desire.

CP1708 wrote:
Go try and tell TMac riders that Tracy ain't a winner. That thread fills up real quick, trust me, I been in the trenches, it ain't pretty.

But it's ok to say some things about a guy even if it stings. And I can dig it if someone wants to defend AI and take a different approach, Lord knows I have some views around here that are known as dumb, I'm ok with that. At the end of the day, we just fussin over some sports topics at work, nothin better then that sittin at a desk.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
@ underline
Agree/relate with bold
This is why you're one of my favorite Faker fans.
At the end of the day, no need for dudes to take $$%% so personally. I get blasted by Laker fans for a little clowning.... But again, we're all just herekicking it about sports.

SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME wrote:
Yep.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

CP1708 wrote:
Do you think AI cares about winning? Truthfull answer. Not the same regurgitated stuff AI people say, do YOU think AI cares about winning?
Yes.
I think he obviously also cares about producing too. But honestly, name me a big time scorer who wouldn't react the same way he did? Son averaged 26 just last year! You dudes are acting like he "lost it" in less than 12 months.

i stated that a couple pages back...i dont think i got a response to it..ppl dodge common sense on nt

Lamar Odom complained about going to the bench...it' happens.

Just blown up a bit because it's Iverson

As an AI fan I gotta be real. I dont want Iverson to see him win. I watch and appreciate his game cause he just punishes dudes for 30+ on any given night.

SlamED broke it down. I feel AI wants a ring but his way since it would earning it. I feel the same as him, If he played 15 minutes a game and won a ring itwouldnt be his. AI wants one giving it his all every night, for it to be because of him. sadly it wont happen

Back
Top Bottom