Iverson to the Pistons

Time to get that Iverson jersey
pimp.gif
NBA Finals here we come. Boston fans losing Posey is going to hurt more than you think!

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

what number he gonna wear? seeing that stuckey is number 3, or is he changing it?
I just saw the highlights from the Detroit/Charlotte game and I might be mistaken but I thought I saw Stuckey wearing #12. If so, good man
pimp.gif

edit: nvm, that was some other cat. Now I gotta learn all these dudes names
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

what number he gonna wear? seeing that stuckey is number 3, or is he changing it?
I just saw the highlights from the Detroit/Charlotte game and I might be mistaken but I thought I saw Stuckey wearing #12. If so, good man
pimp.gif

edit: nvm, that was some other cat. Now I gotta learn all these dudes names
laugh.gif

OK, I've got an answer to this one, and then a quickie story from tonight. I was over at the game tonight getting reaction quotes during pregameavailability with the media, and Stuckey said kind of tongue-in-cheek, he'd be willing to talk if AI wants to buy his number. "We're gonna talkabout it. We're gonna talk about it," he said to a few of us. So there you go, it's definitely AI's for the taking with that fat paycheck.

Kind of a weird night, talked to Joe Dumars and Michael Curry. None of the other Pistons players even talked during media availability during pregame(That's not unusual. Evidently not a real chatty bunch before games.) While I was fruitlessly waiting for players, I got a good look at Rip's TeamJumpman Pros with "RIP CITY" down the side. Also, and most important, as I made my way down to the arena floor, I was getting off the elevator andwhen the doors opened, who was waiting? MJ himself. Could only muster a "How are you?" and a "Good, good" when he asked me, ha. It allhappened too fast!

On the trade, I just fail to see how the Pistons don't win in this deal. East just got a little more fun.

I cannot get over how much I love this trade for the Detroit Pistons.

I love the versatility their lineup has now. If things don't work out? Take all of that cap room and invest in a superstar player down the line. McDyessmight be missed but I feel like Kwame can come in and focus on defensive responsibilities. The young core in Detroit is going to thrive as well. I wouldn'twant to keep Billups contract either (like 4 years/12 per?). I really feel this deal puts the Pistons as a top 3 team in the NBA. I think they win the NBAtitle now actually. I've never liked a trade so much for one team. All the cap flexibility next year, they wern't winning a title with the team theyhad. Add the versatility of a player like Iverson to their backcourt? Joe Dumars has to be my favorite GM of all time.

I like the deal for Denver as well but I'm surprised they made the move considering they have been having salary cap problems the past few years. IfBillups doesn't lose any of his game I like the deal but I have a feeling he's going to detierriate within the next few years. I dont know if theNuggets are gonna feel great paying him 12 million to start the 2010-2011 season. It's no question that they needed a point guard who could distribute theball as well as play 2nd fiddle to Carmelo.

Detriot's whole thing they had over other teams the past 5 years or so was chemistry...now who knows? I think Denver will improve more with this trade.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

iversonbleed.jpg

I see what they did there....

laugh.gif
they tried to be slick about it. I'm sure someone could've ps'ed a better one.
They didn't Photoshop anything, his wearing his Eastern Conference All-Start jersey, not sure from which year...

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

anybody that knows ANYTHING about basketball knows that if you WANT TO WIN you simply cannot have a player like A.I. running your offense!!! THIS IS NOT A VIDEOGAME!!!

This goes for my teams too, idk how the experiment with AJ Abrams handling our PG responsibilities is going to go
ohwell.gif

SERIOUSLY though you "fans" think A.I. is going to make that team better?
This is clearly a vote of confidence in Stuckey imo. A.i. is just a tool to get cap room

I don't care about video games or who's going to be PG of the Pistons.
Anybody with 1/4th of a grain of sense will know that Allen Iverson is not a bench player in the NBA.
You obviously don't qualify.

Geez, I wonder what Joe Dumars was thinking?

"Let's trade our starting point guard and a bench player for another bench player."

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by grittyman20

I won't really comment on the Detroit side because I think they have a replacement for Chauncey in Stuckey, plus Iverson brings a true playmaker/scorer to a VETERAN championship contender...

I gotta wonder though, what in the hell are the Nuggets doing?
smh.gif

• Both Iverson and Billups are about the same age...so why trade the expiring contract of an aging veteran for an aging veteran who has an additional 3 yrs left on his deal?
    smh.gif
  • Denver has scorers in Melo and JR, but that's about it. Nene and Kenyon are fragile as hell, so don't count on them playing an entire season....who's their backup? Birdman
    smh.gif
  • Chauncey was perfect in the grind it out, slowed down pace in the East...but I worry about him playing more games in the West against some of the elite pgs in the league...
  • George Karl is still the coach
    smh.gif

That's what I don't understand either....it would be one thing if Billups was under 30, but he's going to be under contract w. the Nuggets (assuming he stays there) until he is 35. I mean, Iverson's 20 million is off the books after this season (as well as Sheed's contract)....Detroit COULD make a run at both Bosh & Lebron in 2010...obviously I'm not saying it will happen, but they will have a ridiculous amount of cap space/money to play with.
Denver is making a play with the current situation they have. I think it is tremendous that they now have the talent to play team basketball. Thekey here is the situation of Kenyon Martin's contract. Even if AI's salary came off the books they still wouldn't have that much cap room to work with. This deal gives Denver solid team until those deals can be restructured or dumped giving Denvertons of Cap room to build around a 27 year old Melo in 2011. It was the best balance of staying relevant (getting better, imo) while playing for the future. Weget a solid backcourt defender with (as cliche as it sounds) championship experience and leadership.

Dumars is that dude though. AI better do something with Detroit this Year because he's going to see his paycheck plummet if he doesn't. Maybe he'llreunite with Larry Brown to attempt make the Bobcat's relevant.

As for losing Camby:
It won't affect the team as much as people think. We are a quicker team without him. Couple that with the fact that he added to our "streetballstructure." Centers should not be regularly shooting from the top of the key. Camby had no post moves and rarely finished at the rim.

Let's see what George Karl can do with a more traditional basketball team.

Billups
JR
Melo
Martin (I'll call him K-Mart once he earns it back. Kid from Sacramento snatched it with no remorse)
Nene

It doesn't make me go
eek.gif
, but it does make me
smile.gif
a little. The death of Denver streetball (hopefully).

Exciting!

I already posted once in this thread. But AI at 33 is still doing work. Anybody, even non-AI fans can appreciate that!

Absolutel love this deal for Detroit.

You bring in a future hall of famer (no i'm not talking about the payton/mailman kind either) who still has plenty left in the tank and a contract thatwill expire at the end of the year.

It's basically a win-win situation for them. You're successful with AI, everyones happy, AI will probably be willing to resign for less for another runnext season along with Sheed...and also, you let Stuckey loose and start his development curve that much earlier.

This experiment fails, and you've got AI's $20mil off the books, and you can also let Sheed walk and basically have a ton of cap room to jumpstart therebuilding process.

I've also heard McDyess might just be waived and eventually resign with the Pistons again coz he has no interest playing for anyone else...if that happens,talk about a steal.

It's not that bad for Denver as well, considering they get the steady veteran point who they've been looking for since Dre left...Chauncey'sleadership will be invaluable to that team IMO...but, they're still a borderline 8th seed in the west, maybe a 7th if Melo plays like he's capable ofand they get lucky with injuries...Chauncey alone won't get them out of Rd 1...but i think they will be a more competitive team from here.

Excited to see how this plays out for both teams and I think the East just got a bit more tougher...hopefully, Detroit can knock off Boston
pimp.gif

My favorite player to my favorite team
pimp.gif
sucks they had to give upbillups tho...and I am a little skeptical on the way this will work but I do know that AI was definitely not working in denver. I cant wait to see how thisturns out.

I definitely never saw this coming. I actually wanted to see AI stay with Melo. They were a good combo

Talks are that Denver is going to buy out McDyess and he will be back in a Pistons uniform after the short interim period he has to go through like Brent Barrylast year or the year before when he got traded and went back to the spurs.

If Detroit gets McDyess back, they DEFINITELY got the better of this deal, they got AI for pretty much Billups which is a win in their favor

I didnt like this trade now im starting to like it a lil better

smh@ ai dribbling the ball for 15 seconds on each possesion for the nuggets

back to 30ppg a game for melo 7rpg and 4apg

jr around 18 a game

Honestly we should have just kept dre miller

Back
Top Bottom