Jay Electronica Appreciation

I wonder how this came about.

Probably from a conversation. I always thought Jay Elec inspires Jay to rap.

Jay probably challenged him to finally do the album and if he did it, he would hop on it or Jay Elec asked him.

I hope Jay Elec does some interviews to let us know the details.

please let this type of thinking die.

we never cared who out flamed who between
Meth and Red
Red and K Solo
Ghost and Rae
Big and Jay

just stop.

its sets a bad example, and the young cats cant tell the difference

NO ONE gave a throwaway **** about who outshined who until Nas said it on Ether

now everyone is a ****ing critic

stop that ****
Yes we kinda did.

Especially Jay and Big.

Besides that everybody you named had solo work that they could stand on.

This has nothing to do with Ether. Fans and rappers always cared about who was the best on a collab track.

Especially the Wu. Their doc that came out a year or two ago got mad commentary about them redoing verses cuz Rae or Meth or Ghost got off on a track. They all admit Inspectah Deck was killing them on their group albums.

Stop lying. Why dudes gotta try and rewrite history and the culture cuz they don't like something dudes are discussing/arguing about?

Jay himself got his little story about how he and Big were trying to outdo each other on BK's Finest.

Why you think Nas the only one with a new different verse on John Blaze when it comes to the mixtape and album version?

All this predates Ether. Plenty more examples.

Nobody cares about who outshines who on a track?!? Do you even hip-hop?

Yes we kinda did.

Especially Jay and Big.

This has nothing to do with Ether. Fans and rappers always cared about who was the best on a collab track.

Especially the Wu. Their doc that came out a year or two ago got mad commentary about them redoing verses cuz Rae or Meth or Ghost got off on a track. They all admit Inspectah Deck was killing them on their group albums.

Stop lying. Why dudes gotta try and rewrite history and the culture cuz they don't like something dudes are discussing/arguing about?

Jay himself got his little story about how he and Big were trying to outdo each other on BK's Finest.

Why you think Nas the only one with a new different verse on John Blaze when it comes to the mixtape and album version?

sure, THEY cared. amongst the craftsmen.

the fans didnt.

its some behind the scenes **** that Nas exposed us to, and now all of a sudden it matters when it didnt before.

the fans didnt.

its some behind the scenes **** that Nas exposed us to, and now all of a sudden it matters when it didnt before.
OF COURSE THE FANS CARED.

YOU CRAZY.

You telling me fans wasnt like this ***** Mos Def snapped on Thieves in the Night and make Talib's 16 bars forgettable? Everybody basically considers it the preface/intro to the song.

Nas is not the reason for this man. Dont know why you hung up on that.

You don't think fans didn't have preferences for what they thought was the best verse on a posse cut? Outkast, DMX on any feature, Big Pun, Big L, Scarface, LL Cool J. It goes on and on.

C'mon now. You telling me fans aint ever asked who had the best verse on Guerilla Monsoon Rap?

Fans discussing among themselves who outshines who has always been a thing. We can go back to the Symphony. The idea of that is basically birthed out of battle raps which has been a thing in hip hop since day 1.

I don't know what bizzaro world you living in trying to sell this idea to me that only until Nas on Ether dissing Jay about Eminem having the best verse on Renegade or Beans being better than him was when fans started paying attention to who outshined who on a song like we don't have 25 years of prior evidence saying otherwise.

:smh:

please let this type of thinking die.

we never cared who out flamed who between
Meth and Red
Red and K Solo
Ghost and Rae
Big and Jay

u buggin, cats ALWAYS CHOSE FAVS...see Big L RIP going circles against a young Jay-Z

Nas holding his own against Kool G Rap

possie cut standouts...etc

Mase beating cats down wit aluminum when he's thru w/ em on its Dark & hell is hot...

hell when rappers describe their feature sessions they talk like they gotta all out rap eachother, on some "damn i gotta change my verse, homeboy went in, etc."

D04360F3-2385-4325-AF89-A918A631D017.jpeg

Fans have different favorite rappers. So when a posse cut comes along its as simple as that.

Stop pretending DWYCK, Flava in Ya Ear Remix, Banned From TV, I Shot Ya and thousands more don't exist

One of the cornerstones of rap is hyperbolic bragging about being the best rapper. In what world does that claim not transition to the fandom in the form of discussing who is the best by using rap verses as evidence to back it up?

Last edited:
u buggin, cats ALWAYS CHOSE FAVS...see Big L RIP going circles against a young Jay-Z

Nas holding his own against Kool G Rap

possie cut standouts...etc

Mase beating cats down wit aluminum when he's thru w/ em on its Dark & hell is hot...

hell when rappers describe their feature sessions they talk like they gotta all out rap eachother, on some "damn i gotta change my verse, homeboy went in, etc."

Yes and no.

In general, dudes rewrite history. It was more about the song.

There were some debates

Like The Symphony or the Scenario remix in which Busta obviously stood out and also caused friction and jealousy.

Yes we kinda did.

Especially Jay and Big.

He's partly right.

Because in general it was about the song, and people had their favorites.

There are some that stood out and caused debate, but if it was close or both were good nobody really discussed it.

Nas did popularize it as a competition to the general public.

the fans didnt.

Nope.....I cared since the symphony....used to argue for GRap (that was my guy) over Kane. Though I knew Kane finished that joint off dope..

I liked the project. I'm not going to say it's trash just because it isn't what I was expecting. Jay does what he wants, obviously. He wanted this album to be like this and he's happy with it. Not going to act like a spoiled child and feel entitled to what I believe he (or anybody else) should've put out.

He's partly right.

Because in general it was about the song, and people had their favorites.

There are some that stood out and caused debate, but if it was close or both were good nobody really discussed it.

Nas did popularize it as a competition to the general public.

thank you

and now its evolved into cats knocking points off a project because so and so outshined them

its dumb
its piggyback-ish
its Mr Me Too

like you said, in general it was about the song.

Is it ever about the music anymore? If I'm a young rapper and one of the goats wants on my debut and its heat I'm not gonna say no because people expect only me on my debut. Quality music is quality music there isnt some strict guideline or marketing strategy u gotta stick to if its quality people will enjoy it...

Back
Top Bottom