JETER A CHEATER VOL. UNCLE SAM!!

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter cheated New York out of millions in taxes by claiming he lived in Florida when he really was living it up in Manhattan, stateofficials say.

The tax man is going after the All-Star slugger for three years' worth of back taxes and interest - using his own words against him.

"He has made numerous public statements professing his love for New York," the state Division of Tax Appeals wrote in legal papers.

The tax case is the first blemish on Jeter's squeaky-clean reputation, though there's no suggestion of criminal wrongdoing.

Jeter - who makes more than $20 million a year with the Bombers and millions more in endorsements - claims he established residency in Tampa in 1994.

State officials are seeking taxes for three years starting in 2001 - the same year he bought a $13 million apartment at Trump World Tower.

They say the 88th-floor spread near the United Nations is the Jersey-born shortstop's real home-sweet-home.

"He keeps items near and dear in his New York apartment," the lawyers wrote. "He became immersed in the New York community."

The real estate taxes on the bachelor pad run to $70,000 a year - but the swank address could cost Jeter a lot more if the state wins its case.

The bean counters in Albany first went after Jeter in February - and he quickly hit back. The lawyers said the state's allegations were too vague anddemanded they provide more specifics to back up their claims.

The administrative law judge assigned to the case ordered the state to provide more details showing Jeter was "immersed in the community" - whichshouldn't be too hard if they have access to the gossip column archives.

Then there's the first sentence of this Associated Press story about Jeter from October 2006: "He's a New York icon, as much a part of the cityas the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty."

Random House, which published Jeter's book, "The Life You Imagine," says on its Web site that he "lives in New York City and Tampa,Florida."

A biography on the Yankees Web site says Jeter "resides" in Tampa and "works" in New York.

"As a Yankee, Derek has great affection for the people of New York and its amazing fans, but since the mid 1990s, he has made his home in Tampa,Fla.," said Casey Close, Jeter's agent.

A spokesman for the Division of Tax Appeals could not be reached for comment.

A state government source said to establish residency tax officials could check Jeter's utility bills, where he has a driver's license and hisemployment records, including the Yankees game schedule.

They could also send agents to his apartment building to question neighbors and staff, the source said.

One of Jeter's East Side neighbors, who identified herself only as Kate, said the ballplayer "definitely lives here. We see him coming and goingall the time. He has half a floor with 16-foot ceilings."

Yankee fans said Jeter should pay Uncle Sam.

"He's got enough money. Jeter can cover it. He should have taken care of it from the beginning," said Mike Gamble, 36, a passport expediterfrom the Bronx. "We've got to pay all that money for those damn tickets. He better pay his share."

[email protected]

smh.gif
smh.gif

How is residency determined anyway? I mean the Yankees play 6-7 months out of the year so much of that time has to be spent living in NY.

I can def. understand not wanting to pay the extreme price tag it takes to live in NY, but he can afford it.

prob gets laid more in NY than FL...pay your taxes to the state of NY, they've done wonders for your manhood.

Its just called an apt, square footage wise, its actually bigger then your and my house put together.

U ever seen the size of the "apts" in the trump building? they take up the entire floor plus a couple stories above and below.

^ I think he means an apartment (meaning you rent it), versus a home (where u purchase it). Houses, wouldn't be centrally located.

I love how these people think they are slick trying to get over on the government. You don't win when you try to go against them. The IRS always wins

How is residency determined anyway
All I had to do to gain my Florida residency, was register to vote, Get my drivers license transfered here, and verify my change of address.
It s really quite simple.

If Jeter has done all of these things, he is going to win. MANY athletes do the same thing Jeter did. I dont understand NY's beef.

He prob has a pad in both spots like most pro atheletes. Whats the def. of residency? I bet he lives in New York during the season the dips when its over.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

How is residency determined anyway
All I had to do to gain my Florida residency, was register to vote, Get my drivers license transfered here, and verify my change of address.
It s really quite simple.

If Jeter has done all of these things, he is going to win. MANY athletes do the same thing Jeter did. I dont understand NY's beef.

I guess what I meant was how to determine primary residency. If you live in two places, how do they determine who you pay taxes to? I know for a collegestudent you can't claim residency until you have lived someone where for a certain length of time, if you want to pay the in state tuition.
Most pro athletes do it of course, just curious how one would go about it. I'm sure some just think you can live in one place during the season,and somewhere else in the off-season and pay which ever one you want, but I don't think it works like that.

I'm sure some just think you can live in one place during the season, and somewhere else in the off-season and pay which ever one you want, but I don't think it works like that.
But that is, in essence, how it works. you buy a house or rent some property in Florida. your DLs and file your taxes in Florida you're aresident.
When Shaq played in LA he still "lived" in Orlando.
Plaxico Burress "Lives" in Florida and is a resident.
Daunte Culpepper lives in Florida.

I dont see how NY State plans on winning this

^^The State of NY is the body bringin the charges this is not US federal gov'ts case.

Yea but Fanatic, Jeter has claimed residency in Tampa for Years.
Random House, which published Jeter's book, "The Life You Imagine," says on its Web site that he "lives in New York City and Tampa, Florida."

A biography on the Yankees Web site says Jeter "resides" in Tampa and "works" in New York.

The State of NY is just trying to get in his pockets

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I'm sure some just think you can live in one place during the season, and somewhere else in the off-season and pay which ever one you want, but I don't think it works like that.
But that is, in essence, how it works. you buy a house or rent some property in Florida. your DLs and file your taxes in Florida you're a resident.
When Shaq played in LA he still "lived" in Orlando.
Plaxico Burress "Lives" in Florida and is a resident.
Daunte Culpepper lives in Florida.

I dont see how NY State plans on winning this

I'm guessing he hasn't done some of those things or this wouldn't be an issue. also you have to live in a state for 2 years (primarily) inorder to establish residency (I just read about this
laugh.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom