Jim Boeheim Suggests That LeBron Could Be The Best Basketball Player, EVER

http://dimemag.com/2012/08/jim-boeheim-suggests-that-lebron-could-become-the-best-player-ever/

It’s a tired debate at this point, but one that we’ll continue to chase until the next great NBA player comes along: Michael Jordan  or LeBron James? LeBron’s career is hardly finished, but now that he’s grabbed that elusive NBA title, the comparisons have been flying in and players, coaches and fans have been weighing in. Jim Boeheim, who was an assistant coach on the 2012 gold medal winning USA basketball team, saw LeBron first hand, and it shook up his pre-conceived notion of the greatest player ever debate.

Here’s what he said to Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio, via Syracuse.com:
“I’ve always thought Michael Jordan was the best player that I’ve ever seen. I always have and and I didn’t think it was close. I’m not so sure any more. And I love Michael Jordan. I’m not so sure anymore. This guy is 6-foot-9 and 260 pounds, and he’s getting better. He works on his game. His shooting is getting better. He’s a phenomenal, phenomenal basketball player. I love this game, I love the history of this game. I know we’ve had great, great players through the years. He’s like Magic Johnson with Michael Jordan-type skills as well.”
High praise, especially from one of the few coaches in basketball who has coached through all these generations of NBA greats. But enough, already. These cross-generational comparisons are futile, in that we’ll never actually know what’s what. Unless you pluck 1992 Michael Jordan and stick him in today’s NBA, we’ll never know what his stats would have been like, whether he would have won six championships, etc.

The only somewhat definitive proclamations we can make remain within eras – or, at the very least, players that played against each other or in the same generation of the NBA.Kobe  and LeBron, ShaqTim Duncan  and Kevin Garnett. And even then it’s still difficult to say, because some players (Garnett) are riddled with mediocre sidekicks, wasting away their primes on non-contenders. Championships ultimately skew everything, which is intuitively ironic. We can’t consider basketball a team game reliant on chemistry and familiarity, and then attempt to extract individuals with a singular barometer. What the right formula is, who knows.

All of this conversation takes away from appreciation, the real reason why we even watch basketball in the first place. That LeBron James could so seemlessly coexist with any player on the floor, that Chris Paul  can orchestrate an offense with such fluidity, that Kevin Durant  is 6-11 and also happens to be one of the greatest shooters ever at the age of 23. Someone will chime in on this debate again and we’ll rehash it once more. But in the meantime, just appreciate LeBron’s greatness and confine the inane discussions to sports talk radio.

----------------------

For the record, I think this discussion should revolve around talents and skills versus career achievements...although if MJ fans want to use rings, MVPs, etc. then I think it would be more fair to compare LeBron and MJ's accolades at LeBron's current age. But I'm sure someone will come in here and post MJ's career accomplishments lol.

I think LeBron is a superior rebounder, passer, low post player. His versatility on defense (shutting down players from Rose to Gasol to Hibbert etc) can't be understated as well. The fact that he led some of the worst supporting casts to 60 win seasons and the Finals is important too. Another thing we seem to overlook: LeBron's top positional rival (Durant) is significantly better than any positional peer that MJ ever played against. It remains to be seen if LeBron will continue to have Durant's number, especially as Durant improves even more as a player...scary possibility. 

Dude no lie I thought the same thing ..

Jimmy was blazin down before the game.

He sat the same too. Elbow on the knee with his hand on his chin :lol:

Don't see why he can't be...

But I could see how this might upset some people.

Don't care either way. Just glad I get to say I have watched Jordan, Kobe and Lebron all play in their prime....

tumblr_m8r6itz4b11qknil1.gif

Since when did Jim Boeheim become a comedian .

Yellow Journalism.

He never said he was the best. He said MJ used to be ahead by miles now it may not be the case and Bron plays like Magic with MJ skills.

Mogs always try to make a story out of nothing :smh:

yea... no i believe it

because this is what jordan did in his 3rd nba finals: 41ppg, 8.5 reb, 6.3 assists

and this is what lebron did in his 3rd nba finals: 17.8ppg, 6 reb, 6.8 assists

its not even close now 

LeBron is a great player, but he is going on 10 yrs in the league and his mid range game is still not where it should be. It's not as bad as people make it out to be but still not as good as it should. They guy is 6'9 260 with supreme athleticism. I would expect him to be able to guard every position. I wouldnt expect someone 6'6 216 to be able to defend centers.

Considering this is your first post... if you're a new member, you should know any kind of threads or discussions about Lebron being better than Jordan or Kobe or him being the best player ever will usually end in absurd arguments that go nowhere.

If you're not a new member, then you should know better.

Larry Bird considers him the best in the league right now 
nthat.gif

“I always say you got to play by the rules and if that’s the rules, that’s the rules,” Bird said. “But to have the best player and probably the fifth- or sixth-best player (Dwyane Wade) and a top-20 player (Chris Bosh), that’s tough to compete against.”

yea... no i believe it

because this is what jordan did in his 3rd nba finals: 41ppg, 8.5 reb, 6.3 assists

and this is what lebron did in his 3rd nba finals: 17.8ppg, 6 reb, 6.8 assists

its not even close now 
He's only played in 3 finals... 

28.6 ppg 10.2 rpg 7.4 apg 1.6 spg would be correct Marcus...

3rd nba finals means his third appearance.. not 3 combined nba finals appearance stats

and yes, the 2011 lebron james nba finals performance stat line does show him shrinking in the big stage and putting up anemic numbers to the tune of 17, 6 and 6 :smile:

LOL, guy up there is confused with how many finals appearances LeBron's been in. He's only been in 3, and 2012 was his 3rd.

LeBron James is hands down the best player in the game right now, but he's not yet better than Jordan after just nine years in the league. He certainly has the skill set to be better than MJ, and I think he will surpass Jordan as the best all time once he retires.

lol i keep thinking 2011 was his 3rd. my bad  lads, i shan't sleep for a fortnight for this oversight. 

Lebron is the best player ever, hands down; there is not 1 person who wouldn't want to play with this dude! There is not 1 position he cant guard, and he's a top 5 player at every position! His only flaw is that hes unselfish & i don't consider that a flaw; the league is a lot more talented now than it ever was, if you don't have a super team your not winning championships.

Jordan & the Bulls where the best team in the NBA during the 90's the 2 seasons he didnt play the bulls still made it to the eastern conference finals, meaning he had a great team, Lebron leaves the Cavaliers & all the sudden they are drafting Kyrie Irving the next season.

An NBA exec. said that their is absolutely no game plan to prepare for Lebron James during the regular season, dude is 40+ games good, in the playoffs when their is more times teams are able to strategize on ways to contain him

Jordan was the greatest player in 90's for that era, dude had a lot of heart & was hella tough, the advantage the league had then that they don't have now is the competitiveness, players nowadays are all friendly with each other, its definitely become more of a fraternity now, than it has in the past. Back then the players damn near hated each other they were competing hella tough every game. Nowadays there are only a select amount of players who really bring it like that every game.

Kobe Bryant is also better than Jordan, thats the most skilled player to ever pick up a basketball, he has absolutely zero weakness, and he has that Jordan competitive edge!

-AI

LeBron is a great player, but he is going on 10 yrs in the league and his mid range game is still not where it should be. It's not as bad as people make it out to be but still not as good as it should. They guy is 6'9 260 with supreme athleticism. I would expect him to be able to guard every position. I wouldnt expect someone 6'6 216 to be able to defend centers.

That's not always the case. Kevin Durant is 6'11, same height as Garnett, but is nowhere near the same type of defender and can't guard centers. It takes some amount of skill to be able to guard every position like Lebron can, and he has played great individual defense against players as varied as Rose, Durant, Gasol, etc.

Lebrom cam guard every position becauae the centers are awfulllllll in this era. Plus the refs allow him to grab and hack because hey, "hes earned it"

Go let him guard prime shaq and get back to me

Best player in the NBA without question though for sure. At the moment.

I think LeBron is the most talented basketball player ever already

he has to establish some years of dominace ala Mike and Magic gotta snatch up some more chips to get in that best ever convo

pure talent tho he's as good as it gets

Isn't Kobe Bryant the one they call the greatest Laker ever? What team in LA has been short of super stars? The Lakers always have a plethora of all stars on their team...

Jordan played with Pippen, again Pippen did lead the bulls to the eastern conference finals, not to mention during the 90's the Bulls where the "Superstar" Team w/ that "Superstar" Coach in Phil Jackson, they ahd all the right pieces & played together as a cohesive unit, not to mention smothering TEAM defense.

Teams WIN championships, individuals don't

Everybody brings up accolades & stats that doesn't really say anything, dude was a ball hog he took a lot of shots, his percentage was high because majority of his field goals came within 15 ft & in

NBA awards are often political, Like Tyson Chandler winning defensive player of the year. but not even getting NBA ALL FIRST TEAM IN DEFENSE?

Jordan was revolutionary, but just watch his games, i've watched plenty he dominated a specific era, & had the best "shoes" and Marketing campaign ever

Jordan was a ball hog, if he went left he did pull up, when he drove right it was over, dude had a great mid range game, he had a great mentality & thats what made him great, but you have to realize the players nowadays have more talent, every position has increased talent with the exception of center, & thats simply because all kids these days want to be guards, or be like Lebron, or Kevin Durant, it's been a ongoing theme for the past 14 years or so, kids grow up wanting to be guards, its a guard game nowadays, me perosnally when I was in high school i hated passing the ball to bigs, only when I drove & dished for a clear lay up or dunk, if it wasnt clear i' aint give it up LOL

Jordan would dominate in this era to, but yall are crazy if you think hes winning 6 championships, he's dominating this era because of that mentality, & if he was playing nobody would know who the best player in the NBA is, because there are 10 others who are dominating as well.. & none more dominating than Lebron James

Back
Top Bottom