Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

NT fam, please give me some advice on this situation

I just got hired, don't start for another couple week or so
However another place which i also applied for asked if i could go in for an interview

I want to experience what this interview process is going to be like.
From a recruiter's point of view, should i still do the interview and then reject the offer afterwards.
I want to stay in their good books, when i do apply with them again

It being a 55 mile one-way drive is one of the main reasons why I'm not taking that job

However another place which i also applied for asked if i could go in for an interview

From a recruiter's point of view, should i still do the interview and then reject the offer afterwards.

It being a 55 mile one-way drive is one of the main reasons why I'm not taking that job

If you want the interview experience then go for it, but honestly if the drive deters you now it will probably deter you even more later so I wouldn't recommend wasting time.

That's selfish imo. Wanting the experience is understandable but if you know you're not gonna take the gig off top you're taking the spot from someone else vying for the position.

That's selfish imo. Wanting the experience is understandable but if you know you're not gonna take the gig off top you're taking the spot from someone else vying for the position.

at the same time, he can interview with the upper hand.

@Ziostilon

bring up how the drive makes the job less desirable, which may prompt them to offer you more pay (if/when they offer you, if you already told them you'd turn the job down due to pay vs. commute)

its not really selfish, it's their job to hire the "best fit" (supposedly). They'd just be doing their job regardless.

who knows, you might like the environment and they may offer you something to offset the commute, if not, you weren't taking it anyway.

I say go for it ....

Never stop looking!

You never know if the other job for some odd reason falls thru ...

Interview and if they offer the job (which it seems is the one you like) like someone mentioned, bring up the commute and that another company offered you a job.

They might bargain they might not. Not sure what that will be selfish, actually I find the statement pretty stupid. These companies interview multiple people, even if they like the very first one they tend to interview others just to see .... 

my .02 cents!

Do it. I took a promotion at my old job while I was actively seeking employment elsewhere, got a new job, and quit within a month of being promoted.

The way I see it, they would fire you with no hesitation if they had to, you owe them nothing

Disagree. He can't sacrifice a guarantee for a maybe. He has a definite job, why should he pass that up for an interview for something he may not land? He could potentially end up with no job if he does what you suggest. It's just not prudent.

I was in his shoes and I didn't even consider doing what you suggested.

Last edited:
After you guys apply, do you try to reach out to follow up with the HR department?

If so, what are some things you ask or say to them about your interest in the position?

I try to reach out to them about a week after applying. Just a polite email asking if they have any update on the open position you're applying for and if they have a timetable on when they would be doing the interviews. It shows you're interested without being too pushy. Hope that helps.

I was asked if they should shave for his interview and I told him absolutely.

However, after thinking, not so sure if he should since bears are being more acceptable now a days.

This is the dude about the managerial position in Walmart.

THOUGHTS?

Since you didn't even start the new job yet, go interview with this firm. My mantra has always been you don't have the job until that first paycheck clears the bank.

Interviewing =/= getting a job offer, so come back to us when / if you get an offer. We'll help you decide.
No, it's not. You absolutely need to be selfish when it comes to the job market.

I've done it before with no regrets. At the end of the day, you must always look out for yourself and position yourself for the best opportunities.

I was asked if they should shave for his interview and I told him absolutely.

However, after thinking, not so sure if he should since bears are being more acceptable now a days.

This is the dude about the managerial position in Walmart.

THOUGHTS?
Tell him to shave. Worry about fashion / style after he gets the gig.

Last edited:

Tell him to shave. Worry about fashion / style after he gets the gig.
I told him this ....

He received conflicting information from another friend that's very high in the prudential chain that told him - keep the bear it's presentable and it ads character.

From my understanding bears are sometimes looked at negatively because some employers perceives them as you are trying to hide something.

Thanks NT. I'm gonna confirm my appointment for the interview

I'm of the mind that you always learn something in these interviews whether I get the job or not

I received feed back today saying that I got the job and they want to proceed with a background check.

The recruiter told me the starting pay and I ask if there was any room for more/increase. He said he will ask but it pretty locked in cause of budget.

They want me to start training on Thursday in which I said yes, just have a flight to catch that night.

I received feed back today saying that I got the job and they want to proceed with a background check.

The recruiter told me the starting pay and I ask if there was any room for more/increase. He said he will ask but it pretty locked in cause of budget.

They want me to start training on Thursday in which I said yes, just have a flight to catch that night.

congrats famb. what kind of position is it? where is it located at?

congrats famb. what kind of position is it? where is it located at?
Thanks fam working in this companys account division and DC

What sucks is having the skill but no work experience in the area. Going through it right now, trying to get out of where I'm at knowing I have the skills but don't have a way to prove it unless a company gives me a shot.
What field do you work in? Ive never heard of this problem before and have had job interviews and offers from companies in other cities

Last edited:

Heard back from Capital One, and will be starting on the 14th. Picked up a few days at my old retail gig for a little bit of cash in the mean time.

Congrats to both of you!

Last edited:

Heard back from Capital One, and will be starting on the 14th. Picked up a few days at my old retail gig for a little bit of cash in the mean time.

Nice to see people getting jobs! I also got called yesterday with an official offer since my background check cleared and will be starting on the 14th too.
This might just be the greatest day in the history of this thread. Congratulations to you guys man flourish!

Congrats to everyone.

Not as nice for me. Needed repairs on my truck. $900 worth. Not cool when all you got coming in is unemployment checks
sick.gif

Congrats to everyone.

Not as nice for me. Needed repairs on my truck. $900 worth. Not cool when all you got coming in is unemployment checks :x

What do u need done? anything u can do on your own?

And congrats to the brethren getting opportunities, way to stick it out and keep pushing

Last edited:

And congrats to the brethren getting opportunities, way to stick it out and keep pushing
Nope. I'm not too savvy in that area. A lot of it had to do with emissions and being able to get a sticker
mean.gif

Nope. I'm not too savvy in that area. A lot of it had to do with emissions and being able to get a sticker :smh:

If anything, buy the parts yourself and find a spot that will do the labor the the low. Or a spot that does emissions since they'll usually waive the emissions price if you get the work done at the shop.

But I'd try to learn, I had about $500 worth of labor for my car and managed to do all of it except change out my control arms (don't have the proper tools). Saved myself so much money, spent more time on it but that's because it was my first time, now I know for the future

Back
Top Bottom