Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Any of you trying to build yourselves while you're out of work or looking for better employment? I think that discussion needs to be had in here as well to put things in further perspective.
You mean like learning new skills and such?

Or enhancing the ones u already have. I've met people who would be upset about not getting a gig (myself included at one point) and I noticed that they weren't trying to build themselves up. I think if anything, we owe it to ourselves to build ourselves up and know our worth when it comes to employment. Problem is, we let life get in the way and it distracts us and brings us down.

I want to be a Project Manager, but these jobs are telling me that I'm not worthy, but so I see what the skills are and I'm trying my hardest to learn and build myself up.

Just don't lie just learn stuff get better

Or enhancing the ones u already have. I've met people who would be upset about not getting a gig (myself included at one point) and I noticed that they weren't trying to build themselves up. I think if anything, we owe it to ourselves to build ourselves up and know our worth when it comes to employment. Problem is, we let life get in the way and it distracts us and brings us down.

I want to be a Project Manager, but these jobs are telling me that I'm not worthy, but so I see what the skills are and I'm trying my hardest to learn and build myself up.
Ok, gotcha. I feel like I have to do some soul searching first. Found out what I really wanna do. 

Ok, gotcha. I feel like I have to do some soul searching first. Found out what I really wanna do. 

I feel you, and like I said, when life gets int he way, it's hard, because what you really wanna do takes a backseat to what you need to do, and eating and have a roof over your head, etc is priority.

I just said what I said to get cats to think and offer a different thought than what we've all been through. I've learned to have a train of thought that forces me to find a solution

Having trouble with the career focus part of my resume.Any tips on what should be included in this section ?

Having trouble with the career focus part of my resume.Any tips on what should be included in this section ?
I don't use a career focus section but wanted to touch on this.

Do you use cover letters at all? I feel that those serve the same. Purpose as well as allowing you to write more. Also saves much needed resume real estate.

Yo anti with the interview questions, you say you just read off the paper while you are there with them when they ask do you have any questions?

Also, employers tend to frown upon career focus/objective sections for the reasons Antidope stated, you can use a CV/Cover Letter for that. Unless you're young and getting started in the labor force, you shouldn't really have one.

Yeah I think it's only good for entry level positions.

I will be removing my career focus when I look to make my next move in 3-5 years. I don't do cover letters though, seems like a waste for my industry.

Thanks guys. A family frined is looking to put me on with a job at a major media company. Praying for the best

Thanks guys. A family frined is looking to put me on with a job at a major media company. Praying for the best

If you don't have any professional exp in the field but have personal exp, write a cover letter to accompany your resume.

Yo anti with the interview questions, you say you just read off the paper while you are there with them when they ask do you have any questions?
Nah I have a sheet of paper with questions that iImemorized so I could ask them in the interview.

I never look at paper during an interview including my resume.

Been waiting on Capital One to get back to me about this background check for three weeks. Told me it could be up to 30 business days last time I asked for an update, smh. Put in my two weeks because they told me they wanted to start November 30th.

What sucks is having the skill but no work experience in the area. Going through it right now, trying to get out of where I'm at knowing I have the skills but don't have a way to prove it unless a company gives me a shot.

You're right about that. I have enough entry-level exp for a web developer position but since I don't have the work exp, I don't qualify for these gigs and half the time, they let me know quick as hell via email :smh: :lol:

I've just chalked it up and started thinking about doing things for myself and looking for those jobs here and there.

Been waiting on Capital One to get back to me about this background check for three weeks. Told me it could be up to 30 business days last time I asked for an update, smh. Put in my two weeks because they told me they wanted to start November 30th.

This is why I will not give any notice w/o a green light from a gig after the background check. I start a new gig on 12/14. I normally do 2 weeks, but I'm waiting till next week to provide mine. I've only been here 3 months(left my previous job of 2 years) and this has just been nothing like what I expected it to be at all since I've gotten here. Thank God for a new and better opportunity.

A friend of mines just received a called to be a Walmart Co-Manager.

It is just an interviewed, but was wondering the pros/cons of the job.

Also, interview questions ...

Dude told me that if he gets hired he will be making around 70k+ - I don't think is a lot for the amount of reponsibilities - but he does.

What sucks is having the skill but no work experience in the area. Going through it right now, trying to get out of where I'm at knowing I have the skills but don't have a way to prove it unless a company gives me a shot.
You're right about that. I have enough entry-level exp for a web developer position but since I don't have the work exp, I don't qualify for these gigs and half the time, they let me know quick as hell via email
mean.gif
laugh.gif

I've just chalked it up and started thinking about doing things for myself and looking for those jobs here and there.
Write a good cover letter and tell them straight up ....

"Although I don't have the work credentials, I meet all your qualifications. I'm confident that if given the opportunity I will meet and exceed all your expectations. I'm so sure, that if after a week if you aren't sold, I can leave without any compensations"

Something along those lines to at least get that call .... You never know!
This is why I will not give any notice w/o a green light from a gig after the background check. I start a new gig on 12/14. I normally do 2 weeks, but I'm waiting till next week to provide mine. I've only been here 3 months(left my previous job of 2 years) and this has just been nothing like what I expected it to be at all since I've gotten here. Thank God for a new and better opportunity.
Never stop looking even after you are hired ... never give a two week notice until is official ..... imagine if something comes up in the BG?

Back
Top Bottom