Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Anyone here from the DMV area work for metropolitan police department(DC police)? I'm pretty much done with the process and waiting for my background investigator to send my case off to the final review. They determine if I get the job or not. I'm currently employed doing security(dead end job and hate it with a passion, but grateful to be employed), but I'm trying to seek a career in law enforcement and just wanted see what it's like being a police officer as far as job stability, benefits, and quality of life. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

All I ask is just don't pull me over for my tinted windows.

Srs

Good luck on your final review but heard some police officers are eating

Last edited:

Srs

Good luck on your final review but heard some police officers are eating
Lol.. You funny. Can't really comment on that lol! You know people that work for MPD?

I was just talking to @Antidope about this, but my old bosses have an open analyst role at their company.

- I've known them for 4+ years (they took me on a) when I had no experience in college and paid me as an intern and b) hired me last summer when I was unemployed)

- This role is exactly what I was doing with them except a permanent full-time role. I'm one of the very few who knows how their systems work

- I'm about to hit the 1-year anniversary at my current job and I'm looking to get out ASAP

- I'm meeting them this Monday, but have no idea how I should be preparing

- Last summer, I went to the office, they told me what work they needed done over the summer, asked if $60k pro-rated for 3 months sounds good, and when I can start work

Any tips? I try to play it safe, so I'm just brushing up on interview prep, but they've confirmed I'll only be meeting them + another young analyst on their team

Last edited:
I was just talking to @Antidope
about this, but my old bosses have an open analyst role at their company.

- I've known them for 4+ years (they took me on a) when I had no experience in college and paid me as an intern and b) hired me last summer when I was unemployed)
- This role is exactly what I was doing with them except a permanent full-time role. I'm one of the very few who knows how their systems work
- I'm about to hit the 1-year anniversary at my current job and I'm looking to get out ASAP
- Last summer, I went to the office, they told me what work they needed done over the summer, asked if $60k pro-rated for 3 months sounds good, and when I can start work

Any tips? I try to play it safe, so I'm just brushing up on interview prep, but they've confirmed I'll only be meeting them + another young analyst on their team

The first thing to consider is job security..is it a major company and do u think u will b there at least 3 years???

Also..are u annoyed with something particular at your company..where that may pass soon??? If u are in a good spot..u may be fine but if the new gig sounds good def trust ur gut..I would def see what they have to offer

Last edited:

Srs
I had 20% all around on my last car and it looked dark as hell because of the black interior. Had the car 4 years and never got pulled over (for my tints that is).

Just got my Caddy and decided to go with the legal limit of 35%. Not about this fish bowl life...

My friend just received 2 offers and 1 almost offer sheet.

He went to 2 interviews both for Store Manager (Best Buy and Wal-Mart) and was told that he had all the qualities they were looking for; However, he did not have any retail experience. He was in the military and did Supply/Logistics. They basically told him, we are interested, but as an assistant manager so you can learn the retail ropes and if you perform, you can re-applied for store manager without a time period. Both were around the same salary wise, but Walmart is salary vices BestBuy hourly. Both are around 55-60k plus bonuses that can get him around mid 60's.

The other job is being a city police - I don't know how much they make but he likes the job security, helping people, and he think that is a more significant role. He will be able to retire after 16 years as he can buy 4 years back and he knows individuals that are pulling 80k with overtime and details. 

Right now he is torn ......

I don't have any experience with any of these, can you guys offer suggestions?

I just know that retail is slave jobs to the consumer and cops, well they don't do much but ride around and chill in their vehicles but you are a target ....

That's a no brainer. They're tryna bait him into taking the ASM position and who knows when or even if he'll ever get store manager. There's always a line of mangers waiting for that position and knows who they end up giving it to bc of seniority etc. Would be pretty idiotic to choose retail over a city police job.

Avoid retail like the plague. Don't even bother with Best Buy; they've in shambles financially right now.

I'd say take the police job, but how much are they offering?

Well, start my job at Capital One next Monday, however I just received an invite to a group interview for a sales position with the Washington Nationals. Gonna do that on Wednesday as I've got experience in sports and sales. Hopefully something comes of it, things looking up.

I believe the city police only makes mid to upper 30 in the academy and the maybe low 40s after the academy. This is all speculation as is like a forbidden topic in his city. Even asking around everyone tells them they aren't really sure ... LoL they work 4/2 so not sure if that's a positive or a negative to him.

I didn't even know about BestBuy ... Thought they were doing great. That's what I told him, they are getting a bargain with his experience for an AM.

Just thought that the pay difference might be worth it.

Yea @ricosuave89  im still applying for jobs even after accepting my offer. Start training on this Thursday and begin on next Monday.

Im not going to settling for this job just needed something for a kickstart. Im grateful for the opportunity tho

I was just talking to @Antidope about this, but my old bosses have an open analyst role at their company.

UPDATE: Got the job, just signed the offer letter. A slight increase in salary + bonus + more interesting / challenging work. Will start after the new year.

Let's all flourish together, NT fam.

Last edited:
Job found I got arrested , suspended me and will let me know if I'm still there , doubt not though.

Back on the job search for me folks.

Good news in here is keeping me motivated.

Couple of interesting things. Arrests and jobs are like water and electricity, never good. Avoid that situation at all costs. Lie if you have to hugheyfreeman hugheyfreeman .

Since my most recent post, I've been getting some activity. Job interview on Thursday, not sure for which position (e-mailed the company for details) but I'm thinking analyst since that is what's on my CV. Been researching the position and job responsibilities. Headed to get a suit at Men's Warehouse (weekend sale) just in case. Wish me luck!

Any info on business analyst and tips for the interview would be appreciated.

Last edited:
My friend just received 2 offers and 1 almost offer sheet.

He went to 2 interviews both for Store Manager (Best Buy and Wal-Mart) and was told that he had all the qualities they were looking for; However, he did not have any retail experience. He was in the military and did Supply/Logistics. They basically told him, we are interested, but as an assistant manager so you can learn the retail ropes and if you perform, you can re-applied for store manager without a time period. Both were around the same salary wise, but Walmart is salary vices BestBuy hourly. Both are around 55-60k plus bonuses that can get him around mid 60's.

The other job is being a city police - I don't know how much they make but he likes the job security, helping people, and he think that is a more significant role. He will be able to retire after 16 years as he can buy 4 years back and he knows individuals that are pulling 80k with overtime and details. 

Right now he is torn ......

I don't have any experience with any of these, can you guys offer suggestions?

I just know that retail is slave jobs to the consumer and cops, well they don't do much but ride around and chill in their vehicles but you are a target ....

Assistant managers for walmart is 2 levels below the store manager. Co manager position is in between. If it's a co manager then that's a good gig, assistants do the majority of the work on the floor work. Salary with a good bonus will get you in the 80-90k range as a Co. If it's just an assistant role I would think about it strongly. 60 hours a week is common. Usually 1 full weekend off a month. 12+ hour days are normal. But the chances of promotions are high if you are good. Be an assistant for a year then get a Co. Store manager job pays great but it's demanding. I think the average time as a store manager is around 5 years before you quit/step down/get let go.

I don't work on the retail side, so I don't know it all from a retail perspective. I'm in logistics.

As a company it's really a pretty decent place to work. The stores pay gives a stigma of low wages, but it really is competitive with most other companies at a management/corporate level. Good things coming as well. Plus stock purchase is a great buy right now with the discount and the horrible year walmart has had as far as stock price goes.

I probably have only worked 15 40 hour weeks this entire year. Now figure in time working from home and random things I may get 40 hours in a week. But actually at work in my office 30-35 hours most weeks. And I usually have at least 3 days off every week.

If you're willing to put in the time/work and are mobile to move around walmart is a great choice.

Does anyone here have business analyst experience? If so share some pointers ... What are ya thoughts on a pocket square (solid blue) for an interview?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom