Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

You could get denied a job for wearing too much cologne? :rofl:
people are weird man ... But IMHO, yes.

Even if it was because of his skin color, I would also take into consideration what they said.

Again, cologne/perfume are one of those things I have always heard professionals say keep it at a minimum or nothing at all during interview process.

The same can be said for things can distract the interviewer ... Clothes that doesn't fit ... Not properly groomed ... Jewelry that's not appropriate for your attire or just screaming attention ... Etc.

Yeah always been told never to wear Cologne to an interview. The goal is to be as inoffensive as possible and Cologne has the potential to do that.

The same goes for beards, no haircut, style of dress etc etc etc.

Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Yea that's crazy. With my ponytail it's gonna be a problem for me entering the corporate world :lol:

Companies will waste your time man...had an interview for this job in Houston went awesome couldn't go any better. Got invited to the second interview once again went awesome we were talking about football and ish during the interview laughing joking etc. Damb thing lasted an hour and 30 minutes just to get the email we are moving forward with another candidate. Only thing I can think of is they did not want to aid in my relocation.
Bro i had the exact same experience with a company. **** pissed me off so i emailed my interviewer and he said "you did everything great the other candidate was no more qualified than you. You would have been a great addition to the company." So why tf i didnt get the job!!! Smh

Yea that's crazy. With my ponytail it's gonna be a problem for me entering the corporate world
laugh.gif
Agreed.

Companies will waste your time man...had an interview for this job in Houston went awesome couldn't go any better. Got invited to the second interview once again went awesome we were talking about football and ish during the interview laughing joking etc. Damb thing lasted an hour and 30 minutes just to get the email we are moving forward with another candidate. Only thing I can think of is they did not want to aid in my relocation.
Bro i had the exact same experience with a company. **** pissed me off so i emailed my interviewer and he said "you did everything great the other candidate was no more qualified than you. You would have been a great addition to the company." So why tf i didnt get the job!!! Smh
When you're on the job search/interviewing, you can't get emotional.

The more leads you have, the better. It's all a numbers game and these companies don't care about you and vice versa.

I wouldn't wear cologne to an interview but I also don't wear cologne at all.

In General you don't want to anything someone might not like though. Your favorite cologne could be the worst thing your interviewer has ever smelled. If I was interviewing someone with a strong/noticeable cologne/perfume that would be a turn off to me.

Cut it off and grow it back afterwards.

Inb4 people start talking about exceptions.

Ultimately I would suggest doing what your comfortable with because these companies will drop you at a moments notice. Nobody is going to say "but but alp cut his hair for this, we can't let HIM go."

Ultimately I would suggest doing what your comfortable with because these companies will drop you at a moments notice. Nobody is going to say "but but alp cut his hair for this, we can't let HIM go."
we are talking about getting in with the company ... show up with a pony tail if you want to ... odds are you aren't getting hired. After you are on, then maybe you can start growing facial and ponytails ...

Cut it off and grow it back afterwards.

I would suggest the opposite. Showing up to an interview with a ponytail is handicapping yourself. It's proof that either you're not aware or don't respect how the process works.

Not saying it's OK but it's how it goes.

Didn't we have the exact same hair argument a few months ago in here?

Something something "I'm not gonna sacrifice my individuality" something something "they're hiring you, not the other way around"

So you would suggest he'd make decisions he's not comfortable with?
If he doesn't want to change his lifestyle or appearance, then he needs to find jobs that are accepting.

From the above statements you have made, what I gather was that if I hate wearing suits, then I should go with sweats and tshirt to a job interview - pretty dumb if you ask me.

Sometimes we have to make decisions that we don't like - unless we are the ones implementing policies and procedures - we need to look to companies that policies and procedures most resemble my lifestyle or comfort to the ones that I'm fully qualified for.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you. I just failed to mention the flip side and see how I left it unclear. Your last paragraph resembles exactly how I feel, which is why I say do what you're comfortable with. I should have added that it may mean having to take alternative routes.

Last edited:
At the new job I got. I went in there my hair grown out, beard, and cologne.

I felt I wasn't going to cut anything since they called me in the next day after our phone interview.

They must of liked something to call me in.

I recognize my hair is "handicapping" myself but I've been growing it for 8-9 years, ain't gonna cut it in hopes of landing a job. Gotta have a 100k+ offer to get me to consider :lol:
With that said I'm not actively or even at all looking for a job. Maybe in the future my opinion will change but for now I don't care

I recognize my hair is "handicapping" myself but I've been growing it for 8-9 years, ain't gonna cut it in hopes of landing a job. Gotta have a 100k+ offer to get me to consider :lol:
With that said I'm not actively or even at all looking for a job. Maybe in the future my opinion will change but for now I don't care
What you working wit up top? Dread, Braids, Or the Weekend joint (dreads, fro, and tape-up combo)?

Last edited:

:smokin

Avy check

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom