Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Keep that ensemble as basic and sharp as can be. It's not a fashion show. Your interview skills and qualifications should be the one on display.

If you have no choice then fine. But black suits are typically for 2 types of events. Black tie events or funerals. Different shades of grey and navy blue are your staple with patterns, shades, and pinstripe/without. Also avoid light grey suits outside the summer months. Charcoal suits are more acceptable throughout the year.

Now this applies to finacial services more than anything else but I'd apply this concept to every industry really. Oh a please make sure the suit is fitted properly. No baggy pants or pants that are too short. I see too many hipsters with this look nowadays. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot as soon as the receptions sees you.

One last tip. Make sure your shoe color and belt color match. If you wear a brown belt with blacks shoes or vice versa it's RIP on site.
Wow thats intense. I went to get my black and blue suits altered and they messed up the blue one so all I got is the black suit since my interview is coming up. I feel like engineering is not as intense. They just wanna know if you know your ish. I have dark blue shoes and a black belt. I dont think people rek you that hard for an off belt. 

If you have no choice then fine. But black suits are typically for 2 types of events. Black tie events or funerals. Different shades of grey and navy blue are your staple with patterns, shades, and pinstripe/without. Also avoid light grey suits outside the summer months. Charcoal suits are more acceptable throughout the year.

Now this applies to finacial services more than anything else but I'd apply this concept to every industry really. Oh a please make sure the suit is fitted properly. No baggy pants or pants that are too short. I see too many hipsters with this look nowadays. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot as soon as the receptions sees you.

One last tip. Make sure your shoe color and belt color match. If you wear a brown belt with blacks shoes or vice versa it's RIP on site.
Wow thats intense. I went to get my black and blue suits altered and they messed up the blue one so all I got is the black suit since my interview is coming up. I feel like engineering is not as intense. They just wanna know if you know your ish. I have dark blue shoes and a black belt. I dont think people rek you that hard for an off belt. 

I do client facing work and live in NYC so trust me presentation is key. You can be smart as hell, but if they put you in front of a client and the client doesn't like you and that's the reason they lose the work/engagement best believe you won't be sticking around. It's not a fashion show, but you have to show that you know how to dress up.

Last edited:
Black suits see never ok. If it's your only option I'd roll with it but if you can just go to express and pick up a navy photographer.

Last edited:
I suggest going to Macy's and getting a a Calvin Klein slim fit lapel. You can get one for like 150-250 and it'll fit nicely for an off the rack. Now that for works for me if I'm in a pinch but I'm not sure how large or slim you are. Might seem like a large investment if you're tight on money but a decent suit last a long time. A **** suit will always be a **** suit. If you can swing more than I suggest getting a tailored one but that would set you back $500+ in the New York area.

Last edited:
When I was laid off a year and a half ago I went on job interviews for about 3 months I used a black suit for a couple of interviews and received job offers . These were jobs that paid decently but never thought a black suit would be the kiss of death and it wasn't . I have a very clean cut look so perhaps that offsets the black suit .

The piece of advice I can offer is to check glassdoor.com . Gain info on people who work at the company , the culture and know what to expect . Perhaps after reading what some employee's say the job might not look at good . It sometimes gives interview questions as well as salary expectations . It is not a great source for smaller businesses . I wish everyone the best . It is not easy looking for work or even making a work change .

So I went on an interview March 9th (so 2 weeks as of yesterday), and to me it went really well. I e-mailed the woman I met with shortly after I left as a follow up/thank you, as she gave me her card and said if I have any questions I might have missed do not hesitate to reach out. Never heard back from that initial e-mail, yet the listing is still open and applicable on their careers site when I just checked before this post.

Can I reach out again or should I leave it be? If ya guys think I can go for it, what should I say?

So I went on an interview March 9th (so 2 weeks as of yesterday), and to me it went really well. I e-mailed the woman I met with shortly after I left as a follow up/thank you, as she gave me her card and said if I have any questions I might have missed do not hesitate to reach out. Never heard back from that initial e-mail, yet the listing is still open and applicable on their careers site when I just checked before this post.

Can I reach out again or should I leave it be? If ya guys think I can go for it, what should I say?
Follow up again. My usual rule of thumb is to follow up once every 2 weeks. If I don't hear anything back after 2 follow-ups, I'll take the L.

Also, keep applying and interviewing to other gigs.

Last edited:

Follow up again. My usual rule of thumb is to follow up once every 2 weeks. If I don't hear anything back after 2 follow-ups, I'll take the L.

For sure, I'm still applying and not sitting on this past interview. I fortunately am currently employed, but looking for a change.

Just hesitant on another follow up again and take the risk of them feeling annoyed; or it could work where they know I'm still eager :nerd: .

For sure, I'm still applying and not sitting on this past interview. I fortunately am currently employed, but looking for a change.

Just hesitant on another follow up again and take the risk of them feeling annoyed; or it could work where they know I'm still eager
nerd.gif
Doesn't hurt to try again. Persistence is key.

Worst comes to worst? You're a sexy dude who's still employed. You'll find another company.

Hey Nters,

Laid off last Tuesday so been on that interview game.
Looking for HR roles then will panic and settle for accounting.

Hit me up if you in Boston and good luck with the job seekers out there.

It's a grind but just gotta stay positive.

Let me tell you guys a little bit of what I've been going through….

Released from my job in September. Few weeks later find out my wife is pregnant 0] December comes around and my wife is let go from her job. When both of you aren't working money goes quick. Unemployment ran out last week, the state is broke so there is no extensions. I've been applying like a mad man to several places. The worst part is when you get a "No" for a job you know you can do in your sleep. Have had that happen to me. Not to mention applying for jobs you wouldn't normally do but you gotta do what you gotta do and you can't even get a call back for that :\ I met with an agency this morning and even tho she really likes my resume she thinks that it may be scaring people away. Regardless she kept it real and I do get a sense that she will be looking out for me. I've always been able to read people well so I can tell she wasn't BS'ing me. Any help at this point just to get my foot into any door cause i haven't been able to do it on my own and it isn't from a lack of trying.

It is tough out there fellas…really tough. I've seen the treads on here and I know a lot of people don't believe in God or Jesus. Even when you are going through stuff like this it really does test your faith. But honestly for my its what has been helping me go through it. " Peace that surpasses all understanding" I don't know how others do it without it. Cause If you are in this thread, then you know there is a lot of frustration, tears, and restless nights. Gotta keep pressing through cause something will happen eventually.

Yea it's hard out there. I have a job right now but I'm looking for something better and all I've been getting lately is these same ole tired rejection letters or no call backs. Still hoping I land something that I really like.

One thing I have learned is that you can't keep stressing about it. About an hour ago I just received another no for a good job that it I thought would be it. It sucks but I can't let that keep me down cause my family depends on it. Gotta move on to the next option. I know we are human and its natural to worry but at the end of the day it doesn't help the situation. It just brings you down more. You gotta get you rest bro. The stress will quietly kill you! As bad as it feels now I drive around and I'm grateful for what I do have. There are tons of people that would trade places with you even with the situation looking so grim.

When it comes to the "overqualified" nonsense in a job search, what approaches would you guys recommend in terms of not scaring potential employers away?

Let me tell you guys a little bit of what I've been going through….

Released from my job in September. Few weeks later find out my wife is pregnant 0] December comes around and my wife is let go from her job. When both of you aren't working money goes quick. Unemployment ran out last week, the state is broke so there is no extensions. I've been applying like a mad man to several places. The worst part is when you get a "No" for a job you know you can do in your sleep. Have had that happen to me. Not to mention applying for jobs you wouldn't normally do but you gotta do what you gotta do and you can't even get a call back for that :\ I met with an agency this morning and even tho she really likes my resume she thinks that it may be scaring people away. Regardless she kept it real and I do get a sense that she will be looking out for me. I've always been able to read people well so I can tell she wasn't BS'ing me. Any help at this point just to get my foot into any door cause i haven't been able to do it on my own and it isn't from a lack of trying.

It is tough out there fellas…really tough. I've seen the treads on here and I know a lot of people don't believe in God or Jesus. Even when you are going through stuff like this it really does test your faith. But honestly for my its what has been helping me go through it. " Peace that surpasses all understanding" I don't know how others do it without it. Cause If you are in this thread, then you know there is a lot of frustration, tears, and restless nights. Gotta keep pressing through cause something will happen eventually.
damn son good luck finding something

When it comes to the "overqualified" nonsense in a job search, what approaches would you guys recommend in terms of not scaring potential employers away?

Act stupid? There's really nothing you can do in my opinion because they're afraid you'll take their job so they'll definitely give you the stiff arm. You could also agree to a lower salary but that's still a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom