Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

I'd take the full-time offer. 

Regardless if this isn't the field or career choice you want to be in...you'll have an income and continue to pursue what you really want to do.

Don't overthink about what the company may think of you, if you do leave after a year. You're looking for a better opportunity for yourself and that's fair.

^

Take the full-time offer.

Don't slack.

Work on your own thing when you have time.

Stay busy.

Figure the other details out later when they come up.

I'd take the full-time offer. 

Regardless if this isn't the field or career choice you want to be in...you'll have an income and continue to pursue what you really want to do.

Don't overthink about what the company may think of you, if you do leave after a year. You're looking for a better opportunity for yourself and that's fair.
Repped both of you appreciate the input. I am starting to realize and lean towards taking the full-time offer then figuring out the rest later approach. I can't be too rattled and chicken to tell them i'm leaving for a better opportunity whenever the time comes. I could also squeeze out as much as I can money wise and using the health insurance while being full-time. 

Repped both of you appreciate the input. I am starting to realize and lean towards taking the full-time offer then figuring out the rest later approach. I can't be too rattled and chicken to tell them i'm leaving for a better opportunity whenever the time comes. I could also squeeze out as much as I can money wise and using the health insurance while being full-time. 
And you never know...A year from now working for that company, an promotion may be available within.

Continue to work hard, brosef. You'll get to where you want to be career wise.

I agree with Slighted and Fozzy, reap the benefits of the pay and insurance. Especially the insurance, it's so major to have that. You can still come home and work on your future from 7pm-2am. There's still so much time available to you after a 40 hour work week, you just have to sacrifice some leisure to take advantage.

The homie @Olympus gonna be tasting yambs of all ages.
laugh.gif

I've seen maybe 1 that would get the pass.

When I said women, I forgot to add older, out of shape women.

Ok NT fam after months of job searching and not getting much more than Recruiter phone interviews, I finally have 2 face to face interviews this week. I had one today which I thought went well. It wasn't Kobe last game performance but it was a good interview. The guy interviewing me was about 10 mins late, and I had the receptionist call and leave him a message just so he knew I was on time. Position seems very interesting and something I would want to do. Plan to send thank you email tomorrow and hope to hear back from him mid to late next week.

Interview tomorrow is another Operation position (my current field) which will be another long hour, dealing with disgruntled employees and so on. The thing is the pay is really good and up to 20% bonus at end of year. While the money is good, I'm really tired of the Operations field. But I do like having income to do the things I want and provide a good lifestyle for my kids. So we shall see.

Got my personal training certification last month and I just settled for a position in a small studio.

I say settled because I was hoping to jump into a position at a health center doing 1 on 1s making 45-50k out the gate, but I should have known better being that I have no experience. :lol:

So instead, I'm essentially a group instructor at an all women's studio. It's so out of my element that it's actually made me question my entire career path (because that's how extreme my mind can be). I actually thought about going back to UPS and trying to drive a truck or work my way up in another role and cash in on a 6 figure + benefits package like my friend has.

But at the same time I look at it as jumping into the deep end of the pool rather than tip toeing into the shallow end. If I can crush this, everything else will be cake. Just trying to adjust to new people + new role + new environment. Wish me luck bros

you wilding.

group instructor at all women's studio?

and you'd rather drive for UPS?

Does anyone know if it's worth getting an AA in Comp Sci to break into the IT industry? Also, how difficult is it to get an entry level job in IT? I am looking to start at a Help Desk/Comp Support position and work my way up.

Backstory: Graduated in 2013 with an bachelor's degree in Economics and can't find any jobs related to my degree. I've actually been a Audio Visual Technician for the past 3 years. My current job contract just ended so back to the drawing board.

Does anyone know if it's worth getting an AA in Comp Sci to break into the IT industry? Also, how difficult is it to get an entry level job in IT? I am looking to start at a Help Desk/Comp Support position and work my way up.

Backstory: Graduated in 2013 with an bachelor's degree in Economics and can't find any jobs related to my degree. I've actually been a Audio Visual Technician for the past 3 years. My current job contract just ended so back to the drawing board.

i can get you in contact with my two boys who did audio visual tech for madd hotels in miami for like the last 5-6 years if you want. (dunno what it can do for you, but it's something)

get at me on PSN

I'll keep this as concise as possible.

I was recently offered double my current salary to join a top fortune 500 company. The offer comes after a hard decision I made a few months ago to forgo starting my MBA at an excellent program in Boston. Crazy to see how much a couple of hour long meetings can change your life, but here I am. I told them I would think about it over the weekend, but I fully intend to accept the offer. I should also note, that I have an interview with another company this week that I intend to follow through on. When it rains it pours as they say. I just want to say keep grinding, keep pushing, and persistence pays off. I received a lot of no's. 

I'll keep this as concise as possible.

I was recently offered double my current salary to join a top fortune 500 company. The offer comes after a hard decision I made a few months ago to forgo starting my MBA at an excellent program in Boston. Crazy to see how much a couple of hour long meetings can change your life, but here I am. I told them I would think about it over the weekend, but I fully intend to accept the offer. I should also note, that I have an interview with another company this week that I intend to follow through on. When it rains it pours as they say. I just want to say keep grinding, keep pushing, and persistence pays off. I received a lot of no's. 

Congrats famb!! I remember asking you about what mba program u were going to. Are the offers the only thing that changed your mind? Will you eventually get your mba?

Quote:

Nah, you wilding. UPS Drivers make like $75K to start and are in the Teamsters.

dude left UPS (not driving) cause he obviously didn't like it.

changed industries completely....got certification....which takes money, time, effort and commitment....

and...since he isn't doing one-on-one at a private gym he wants to consider going back? cause he has to teach all women's classes at an all-women's studio?

wilding.

and 75k isn't starting, it's the average, (according to GLASSDOOR LMAO) and well, the average college graduate SUPPOSEDLY makes 40k. in addition, they are hourly. $30 an hour is the average, which means, people with a decade in are making that average wage much higher than a starting driver's hourly wage. If they're even listing hourly, you should already know what the deal is. I couldn't find any info on starting wages, just those glassdoor AVERAGES.

so, yeah.

(i wasn't knocking UPS drivers or what they make. he went and got certification as a personal trainer and is considering driving UPS trucks, i was knocking getting a certification then ditching it to return to the same industry he just left. i could see if the only gig he got was working out crackheads in the hood or something.....it's just women lol)

Congrats famb!! I remember asking you about what mba program u were going to. Are the offers the only thing that changed your mind? Will you eventually get your mba?
Thank you! To be completely honest I could see that I was starting to climb further and further in the application process with several places, and it was all I needed. For one, I was moving across the country to a city which, despite being a top 5 market, I would have no network and no job. Also, going from debt free to 100k+ under was not ideal for me, regardless of my situation. I decided to stick it out to see if I could align with a company locally that had an international footprint and competitive training and tuition reimbursement program for employees.

I still plan on enrolling next fall to complete my MBA, most of the top schools have part time programs, that I will now look into v. going full time. 

Last edited:

Thank you! To be completely honest I could see that I was starting to climb further and further in the application process with several places, and it was all I needed. For one, I was moving across the country to a city which, despite being a top 5 market, I would have no network and no job. Also, going from debt free to 100k+ under was not ideal for me, regardless of my situation. I decided to stick it out to see if I could align with a company locally that had an international footprint and competitive training and tuition reimbursement program for employees.

I still plan on enrolling next fall to complete my MBA, most of the top schools have part time programs, that I will now look into v. going full time. 
How many years of experience do you have?

Perhaps it'd be even better if you can build your career/story in the meantime, get your cash flow up, and then apply for top 10-20 full-time MBAs.

5 years of professional experience, and I appreciate the rec. Will def keep that in mind, I'm not opposed to full time programs, just never looked into part-time ones before. My brother in law is doing a part-time at Wharton right now and loves it.

TBH I don't think any degree or certification is worthless..I'm currently getting my Associates in CS but I am transferring to a 4 yr school..but freshman CS are able to land internships..

There are programmers and developers who are self taught and able to get jobs but I prefer getting the degree as well..a bachelors in Economics looks good on your resume too

Last edited:
Congrats. I was gonna go for my MBA but it feels pointless if I'm not going to pivot to another field. Theres a certification out there that would get me the same amount of "respect" or what have you from what I've seen out of my coworkers who have gone that route instead of MBA

I would definitely go part time though, I can deal with the extra time it would take to not sacrifice income.

Man I just want to say shoutout to this thread, For the continuous help and support! This thread has the to be the most valuable underrated thread on NT. I been trying to get at this one company for over 2 years and finally got offered the job doubling my salary!!! I'm about to go in here and work my *** off!!!! When people say in here "Keep grinding, don't give up, keep putting in them apps!" they are telling you the truth, DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom