Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Ok guys ....

After a year and a few months of being unemployed, I have decided to join Law Enforcement.

It's pretty sad that I'm going from making 120k a year to 50k. SMH!!! However, I think about the year of unemployment where I was just making 41k.

I'm just looking for a stable job where I'm happy and although I was excited about being a cop, I'm having second thoughts. From the 26 weeks hard academy to the shift work, I dont know if I really want to do it. I'm stuck because I put all my eggs in that basket.

I left management (retail) because is a grind and no matter what, you always needed to improve and I hated the hours I believe I'm going back to those hours (which I'll quit after academy if I get second shift 4pm-12am).

Any comments???

NT help....give some advice.....ive made mistakes in life and now im 30 years old making $500 a week cash to work 60 hours dispatching at a tow truck company here in MIA..............

i know ive made mistakes/bad choices and the results are speaking for themselves..........but please give me ideas besides uber (i drive an older car now) but uber/lyft is in the plan to get out of this hole once i can get myself into a bit newer sedan............besides that, what can i do to earn some more money/move forward?

It's pretty sad that I'm going from making 120k a year to 50k. SMH!!! However, I think about the year of unemployment where I was just making 41k.

a few of the cops i know make solid money with access to OT. they work a lot but clear six figures with extra shifts

I do have a degree in mathematics and sciences , was looking to get into gis technichian since I have some experience with arcgis.. but my more recent driving experience for the FedEx ground contractor is more beneficial at the moment

I applied for a position that I matched with and was told they filled the position. I'm job searching and see the company just posted the same position up last week.

Cmon now, smh.

I applied for a position that I matched with and was told they filled the position. I'm job searching and see the company just posted the same position up last week.

Cmon now, smh.
This is literally why I hate job searching because they pull bs like that.

I was working from warehouse to warehouse in my early 20’s, made it to The Home Depot warehouse & the job was the last straw. Said “F It!” Quit at lunch, went home & the next day when to get hired at a construction company. Been there going on 4 years in April. Making 55k a year, I live in Texas so the cost of living is way down. Anyways, I’ve been there fellas. Construction might not the be the answer for everyone, but something is out there. Take a chance, I love what I do & the compensation is worth it. Looking to move up in the next two years from Lead to Foreman. That’s 75k a year not including bonus.

Ok guys ....

After a year and a few months of being unemployed, I have decided to join Law Enforcement.

I'm just looking for a stable job where I'm happy and although I was excited about being a cop, I'm having second thoughts. From the 26 weeks hard academy to the shift work, I dont know if I really want to do it. I'm stuck because I put all my eggs in that basket.

I left management (retail) because is a grind and no matter what, you always needed to improve and I hated the hours I believe I'm going back to those hours (which I'll quit after academy if I get second shift 4pm-12am).

Any comments???
My advice would be to find alternative employment.

You value your time and want work-life balance. This comes at a cost. If you were working 80 hours a week, you were really making closer to what you are now anyway.....

There are quite a few jobs that you could have at 40k now that could increase to 70 in a few years.....Don't become a cop.

You value your time and want work-life balance. This comes at a cost. If you were working 80 hours a week, you were really making closer to what you are now anyway.....

There are quite a few jobs that you could have at 40k now that could increase to 70 in a few years.....Don't become a cop.
My problem at the moment, finding alternatives will prolong my time without generating income.

I never worked more than 50 hours when I was in retail, however, the hours sucked as it was mostly when everyone was off and I need time for my family. The reason why I'll quit if the PD if I get mids.

The police in general is underpaid, but once you pass the academy and probation/training, you're allowed to do road details OT which are generally 45/40 hr, but again, I'll have to put hours.

I have intensive knowledge and experience in Leadership, Logistics and Supply Operations along with budgeting (govt fiscal).

But my location sucks or I just suck at finding jobs besides the ones posted in indeed and the likes.

DOT if you want a state job. Crazy time off and benefits.

I'm moving Phoenix in the next 2-3 months. I have no job leads. Open for anything except call center jobs (been doing that for the past 6 years).

I have a BBA in management and Supervisor experience dealing anywhere from 10 - 30 associates.If you a plug, plug me in.

Been at my gig almost a year now (graphic/web design, marketing). It's cool, but I need to level up this year. I'm thinking 3 years down the line. Besides indeed, linkedn the best route to find better paying gigs?

You’re in a totally different field than me but I always find my jobs off word of mouth. I feel like the best jobs don’t advertise they just hire referrals.

My problem at the moment, finding alternatives will prolong my time without generating income.

I never worked more than 50 hours when I was in retail, however, the hours sucked as it was mostly when everyone was off and I need time for my family. The reason why I'll quit if the PD if I get mids.

The police in general is underpaid, but once you pass the academy and probation/training, you're allowed to do road details OT which are generally 45/40 hr, but again, I'll have to put hours.

I have intensive knowledge and experience in Leadership, Logistics and Supply Operations along with budgeting (govt fiscal).

But my location sucks or I just suck at finding jobs besides the ones posted in indeed and the likes.

I would also advise against being a cop unless you're extremely passionate about the profession. I had friends growing up whose fathers were cops. All divorced. All big drinkers. All seemed pretty unsatisfied.

You have to think about how police are viewed today too. People straight up hate police. Police are heavily criticized and can almost do no right. You'll be policing in one of the most anti-police eras in history. Be prepared to be subjected to death, violence, neglected children/babies, addiction. The only profession where you can literally take someone's life intentionally too. The end to the opioid epidemic is nowhere in sight so depending on where you are you'll be dealing with a lot of drug crimes, ODs, etc.

Politically you'll be surrounded by hella MAGA folks, Blue Lives Matters, and so on.

Work life balance is trash to top it all off. A lot of cops are shut ins and introverts because of all the micro traumas and emotional distress from the job.

If an application requires a cover letter, what are you guys uploading? What is a standard cover letter supposed to look like?

Nothing I just move on to the next application.

I haven't filled out a cover letter in some years

I usually skip them also. This one listing in particular I do want to apply to tho, and of course it's requiring.

Is it company/role-specific or general about you?

Might get offered my old government job back. Have an interview next week. Would be better benefits and maybe a little more money than I'm making now. However, I only want it if they consider logistics and give me local placement. I don't want to be spending 2+ hours in the car every day. How should I go about negotiating that?

Back
Top Bottom