Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Anyone a GS worker?

I qualify for GS11 because of my military experience and last position, but I applied for a GS7 in the VA to get my foot in the door. It looks like I'm going to be offered the position.

My only problem is, the description for pay range was broad, it ranged from 40k to 60k. I don't know how much it would be with locality pay or what's an acceptable low end and what would they negotiate if anything.

I'm just looking for information on how pay is determined and if there's room for negotiation and how I'll go about trying to negotiate? Thanks.

An 11 to a 7 is a crazy downgrade :lol:. Can't speak for all agencies, but I know for myself, my Bachelor's qualified me for a 7 when I first got hired on. I was able to convey some preexisting experience to my recruiter in HR to bump me up a few steps starting off. If they're gonna keep you at a 7, I would definitely try to use your previous experience to negotiate a higher step--especially since you qualify for an 11. Are you working with a recruiter or have an HR point of contact?

An 11 to a 7 is a crazy downgrade :lol:. Can't speak for all agencies, but I know for myself, my Bachelor's qualified me for a 7 when I first got hired on. I was able to convey some preexisting experience to my recruiter in HR to bump me up a few steps starting off. If they're gonna keep you at a 7, I would definitely try to use your previous experience to negotiate a higher step--especially since you qualify for an 11. Are you working with a recruiter or have an HR point of contact?
I don't have a POC, I applied on usajobs.gov, received an emailed for a phone interview, after the interview (which I thought I bombed) I received another email from the deputy director stating i was among the top candidates and asked for 3 reference. He was able to contact 1 and sent a follow email for more contacts which I provided. Both of my references contacted were told I was a top candidate, but the constant pursuit of reference makes me think I'm the only one they're actively looking at.

The reason I applied for a GS7 was because I wanted to get in. However, i was appointed in writting and held the role and responsibilities of an O4 in the military as an enlisted.

I'm just confused and I might turn it down if the pay is anywhere south of 52k. Which is a drastic paycut to start.

Another question, if I was to accept the position, does that mean I'm stuck at GS7 and the next position I apply would have to be GS9 or can I continue to use the 1 year specialized experience to qualify for GS11 or such?

Update, I was offered the position via email and it clearly state GS07 Step 01. Although I want the position, I just don't see how I'm going to take it with that pay cut.

Been sending rezooms like crazy. Got into brand/marketing a year and half ago. Already doing interim management gigs so trying to break into the SF/Oakland/SJ market. Been doing social services for almost 13 years so it’s been a HUGE change from non profit to corporate..

marathon continues :nthat:

Sup fellas. Anyone currently working or has worked in the Navy shipyard? I applied for the apprentice program and made it through the next step which is to take a test. Any tips or study guides?

Be more condescending.

"How are people looking for jobs? Jobs are everywhere". :stoneface:

my job inbox lookin like NBA free agency July 1st...if u got da skills in demand, folks is stalking you trying to trap you like a obsessed baby mama trying to find a daddy for her kids.

my job inbox lookin like NBA free agency July 1st...if u got da skills in demand, folks is stalking you trying to trap you like a obsessed baby mama trying to find a daddy for her kids.
That's great for you, but I don't see how talking down on people who are just trying to better themselves is worth anything.

I have by far the most posts in this thread and I've had a job the entirety of the time. I've posted blank copies of my resume, cover letters, thank you Letters, and reviewed other people's materials. It's about trying to pay it forward and you never know who you could be helping out.

But between this and the thread where you called people broke cause they don't have cars I see that you're in rare form these days.

Keep copying and pasting every article you see on CNN like we all don't have the internet and pretending that what you're doing is a value add to this website.

That's great for you, but I don't see how talking down on people who are just trying to better themselves is worth anything.

I have by far the most posts in this thread and I've had a job the entirety of the time. I've posted blank copies of my resume, cover letters, thank you Letters, and reviewed other people's materials. It's about trying to pay it forward and you never know who you could be helping out.

But between this and the thread where you called people broke cause they don't have cars I see that you're in rare form these days.

Keep copying and pasting every article you see on CNN like we all don't have the internet and pretending that what you're doing is a value add to this website.

The man is 30+ Years old living with his moms and still asking “ma whats for dinner?”

Don’t pay him no mind, he’s not on most of us levels who have apartment leases and mortgages.

Im confused. Who is agent orange.

Just answer the question dont pander about something that doesn’t make any sense.

da answer is Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/politics/cnn-poll-trump-economy-2020/index.html

umm..da article essentially called people broke (da common consensus among auto execs and everyone who follows da auto industry)

was wrong, can't handle actually reality? i don't waste time with platitudes when it comes to getting a job, its not rocket science..get a skill thats in demand, and you're in...thats what i call paying it forward...why dance around that fact?

Lol... The irony of that post is off the charts. You got it man. You're all covered so no need to be in here.

Back
Top Bottom