Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

^ try Craigslist bro for freelance work there's a $!*! load of work atlest in my area

applying, but no call backs, emails or nothing
30t6p3b.gif
thinking bout enlisting

applied at target. had interview. Doubt I'll get job. Shift starts at 4 in the morning anyway which sucks. Just applied at jacks aquarium. it's a struggle. Can't wait to get back in school this fall.

anybody doing anything where freelance is possible.

create a BEHANCE.COM portfolio.

working on mine now.

Originally Posted by outbackbob24

How many of you guys with out jobs are from California?

Im thinking about picking up and heading out to LA. I have a security job here in new york that pays well for a security company ($16/h) but it's only part time.  I don't mind any type of work really i just need to make enough to pay rent when I get there.

Whats the job market looking like out there in California? I don't mind cleaning floors, opening doors w/e just a full time job.

I live in Los Angeles.  My cousin's girlfriend, who is 23, with a high school diploma has been having trouble looking for a decent job for the past two years.  I know that she has been applying at retail jobs too with no luck.

In my department, we had an opening for a staff-accountant (pretty much a bookkeeper) and we received over 450 resumes, and only one person will be hired.  I work in a hospital, and we had a job fair for RNs and LVNs.  We wanted to hire 20 RNs and 10 LVNs, and almost 400 applicants showed up.  In short, the job market here is pretty competitive.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

interview coming up tuesday afternoon

dumb question - how early do you guys show up for your interviews?

I try to get to the office 20 minutes before the interview...but don't walk in until at least 5 minutes before the interview (for example, if your interview is 1PM, don't go in until 1255). It's bad to be late, but it's also bad to be early...but you should always be there early and give yourself time in case there's traffic or you can't find parking, etc.

I've been getting more interviews now, feeling somewhat positive at my chances, but I'm still skeptical until I get an offer given the rejections I've faced already.
frown.gif
I do feel better about it now though, since I have a plan in place for what I'll do if I get a job and if I don't...I think the key is to have a plan in place whether you get a job or not, and be flexible about going back to school, considering other alternatives, etc.

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by iLike Turtles

what do yall think about working a minimum wage job? here's the deal. I'm 22, haven't had a REAL job in like 2 yrs. I really need a job now and I've been looking ALL over the place the entire summer, but haven't had any luck yet. the other day I finally got a call from a place that I applied to nearly 2 months ago and they would like me to come in for an interview, which is cool. but then they said that starting pay is $7.25/hr (minimum wage here in NY). I dont wanna be picky because at least its a job and I've been out of work for a minute, but I'm having second thoughts about going for this job since the pay is so low. I mean, part of me wants to go for it because a job is a job and I've been looking all summer and still haven't found one. but the other part of me wants to pass on this one, because I feel like if I keep looking the way I've been, I should find something better that pays a bit more. so its pretty much a matter of whether I wanna settle for the minimum wage job right now, or wait just a little bit longer til I find a better job within the next month or two. what do yall think?
Could you take the job AND continue with the job search? It seems like employers gang together and start calling you back once one person calls. lol Best of Luck!

I thought about that. but I don't know if I wanna work some place and then just peace out after only like a month. just seems unethical to me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by imsleepy1234

Im thinking about picking up and heading out to LA. I have a security job here in new york that pays well for a security company ($16/h) but it's only part time.  I don't mind any type of work really i just need to make enough to pay rent when I get there.

Whats the job market looking like out there in California? I don't mind cleaning floors, opening doors w/e just a full time job.

I live in Los Angeles.  My cousin's girlfriend, who is 23, with a high school diploma has been having trouble looking for a decent job for the past two years.  I know that she has been applying at retail jobs too with no luck.

In my department, we had an opening for a staff-accountant (pretty much a bookkeeper) and we received over 450 resumes, and only one person will be hired.  I work in a hospital, and we had a job fair for RNs and LVNs.  We wanted to hire 20 RNs and 10 LVNs, and almost 400 applicants showed up.  In short, the job market here is pretty competitive.

Hey man.  I'm currently employed but really dislike the people I work with.. they're rude and talk down to others a lot.  What's the staff-accountant position looking like?  Do you know what type of qualifications I would need minimal?  If you don't want to give out too much information.. can you at least guide me in the right direction?

Originally Posted by kickstart

what do yall think about working a minimum wage job? here's the deal. I'm 22, haven't had a REAL job in like 2 yrs. I really need a job now and I've been looking ALL over the place the entire summer, but haven't had any luck yet. the other day I finally got a call from a place that I applied to nearly 2 months ago and they would like me to come in for an interview, which is cool. but then they said that starting pay is $7.25/hr (minimum wage here in NY). I dont wanna be picky because at least its a job and I've been out of work for a minute, but I'm having second thoughts about going for this job since the pay is so low. I mean, part of me wants to go for it because a job is a job and I've been looking all summer and still haven't found one. but the other part of me wants to pass on this one, because I feel like if I keep looking the way I've been, I should find something better that pays a bit more. so its pretty much a matter of whether I wanna settle for the minimum wage job right now, or wait just a little bit longer til I find a better job within the next month or two. what do yall think?
Could you take the job AND continue with the job search? It seems like employers gang together and start calling you back once one person calls. lol Best of Luck!

I thought about that. but I don't know if I wanna work some place and then just peace out after only like a month. just seems unethical to me
laugh.gif
It is. 
laugh.gif

I was suppose to have heard back from my interview on Monday, no call or email came through. Same thing with Tuesday and Wednesday, so I sent an email last night and got a call this morning. 
pimp.gif
 If you want it go after it. Forget about seeming too eager just let the employer know you're serious and sincere. Best of luck gents and ladies. 
grin.gif

im 15 Years old from the East Los Angeles area , is it possible for me to get a job?
nerd.gif

I got a email back about the Art Institute but for a different campus(San Fran.) and different position (Res. Life Coordinator). Hopefully I beast through these interviews!

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

Originally Posted by imsleepy1234

Hey man.  I'm currently employed but really dislike the people I work with.. they're rude and talk down to others a lot.  What's the staff-accountant position looking like?  Do you know what type of qualifications I would need minimal?  If you don't want to give out too much information.. can you at least guide me in the right direction?
The staff-accountant is pretty much like a bookkeeper.  What you do is keep track of general ledger accounts of the money going in (accounts receivable) and the money going out (accounts payable).  The minimum requirements at my job is an associate's degree or three years accounting experience.  

...jobless and living off veteran benefits...not frustrated but graduation is in dec...and that will be with a masters...so hopefully i get picked up before or during the fall semester...

anyone have a plug for anywhere by SFSU..looking for a job that compliments a school schedule

i have customer service, sales, retail, bank experience..

need something chill, does not have to pay a lot (i just need a steady income to get by during school)

Originally Posted by JPTHE3

im 15 Years old from the East Los Angeles area , is it possible for me to get a job?
nerd.gif

I got a job for you lol.  go buy some knee pads and report back.

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

Originally Posted by JPTHE3

nerd.gif

I got a job for you lol.  go buy some knee pads and report back.

You speak from experience huh

Originally Posted by Noskey

Anyone have tips for Wells Fargo group interviews?

My super ex girlfriend had an interview with BOA awhile back.. same group situation.

She was very enthusiastic and outgoing (thats just her though).  And after the interview she went up to the HR, which she was cool with, and asked how she did and what's next etc. etc.

Smile, be confident, and stand out.  SRSLY GO BEYOND EVEN IF YOU LOOK KINDA CREEPY.  My ex said she faked half the interview but they bought it.  There are going to be a lot of nervous people there.

they're going to be asking personal and behavioral questions in the interview... so have a answer or "story" (hopefully funny or very thoughtful story) for every question.

She got hired out of 10+ people.. actually only 2 peeps got hired from the group so she did a good job.  shes dumped me for a black guy tho and if i ever see her i will drop kick the living @%$! outta her.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Anyone have tips for Wells Fargo group interviews?

Be honest, articulate, and the biggest thing is to ask questions as it shows your interest in the job.  I had a group interview with Lasalle Bank back in 2002 and got the gig & ended up staying with the company till 2007.

Back
Top Bottom