Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by IX Is Tha Future

Do you think this whole stock market ordeal is going to take a toll on the jobs? I just got hired at Capital One and I'm kind of skeptical about it.

What are you talking about ?  Of course it's going to take its toll, it already has and the worst sector of them all is the financial sector.  What exactly are you doing at Capital One?

I am somewhat involved in the capital markets and can tell you that it is not looking good.  All financial sectors across the globe are restructuring as a means of cost cutting.  You are either on the top or on the bottom.  The in betweens are going to get shaved.

What I will suggest to others is to work hard and grow up.  Do something meaningful instead of thinking about 'shoes'. 

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I received a call from Aerotek (a staffing agency) and the woman I spoke to said she came across my resume and was interested in speaking with me about a position as a Job Recruiter. We had about a 10 min conversation about the requirements and responsibilities of the job and then set up a screening call on Monday. However, through my research online some people said it was a shady company and a few people said it was a pyramid scheme.

The thing that confused me though was that the woman I spoke to said I would be making $40k a year to start plus commission. So then how would that be a pyramid scheme? I've had a few pyramid scheme guys offer me jobs but they were always commission only which raised a red flag causing me to avoid them.

Does anybody have experience with Aerotek? I'm still gonna go through with the screening call on Monday but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them
Aerotek is legit...I started working for Wells Fargo last summer with a group of about 20 other people at the same time, and some of them had been recruited via Aerotek...the people I talked to really liked Aerotek, and the way they handled them in finding them a job.  Ultimately, I suppose it depends on the job, but I think you should play it out.

Originally Posted by marmourjr

Originally Posted by dmxgod

Well another update on my progress..something must seriously b wrong with me to not get this job or offered it..

This teaching assistant job that I interviewed last week only paid 9.64 with full benefits..and I would be able to finish my graduate work while working told me that they could not offer me a position for some reason..a TEACHING ASSISTANT job..when I have been a teacher for over 2.5 years already..I didn't say anything wrong because she barely asked me any questions..and I responded with an enthusiastic manner as well..I don't understand what these coordinators/human resource people think sometimes to not offer someone with a diverse body of teaching experience already to warrant me to get offered the position..smh..

My interviews today in Brooklyn went aight..I wasn't into one of the schools because they just seemed rude..so I would not take that position if it was offered to me..but I think did well at the other school..and I would like to work there if they offered me..

Friday gotta go to another interview around my area..then Monday got an interview in the Bronx..I keep on plugging away..
You should apply for teaching jobs in Atlanta.  They're are seriously looking for teachers due to the latest CRCT cheating scandal.  There are programs you can join; Teach for America,  MATReC (Atlanta), TeachGeoriga. They will pay you while training.
Yeah I heard about the scandal..haven't thought bout Atlanta..the only other states I have thought about are Vermont, Massachusetts, NJ, and North Carolina..

I have tried Teach for America for the last two years..and I have got rejected twice already..so I'm done with that..and I'm not sure why..maybe I have too much experience? Or i'm already a certified teacher..who knows..

Interview with the school in my area went really well..they told me they have 7 candidates..and they said they were going to hopefully let the 2-3 that they send to the second round know on Monday..*crosses fingers*..it's only part-time but I really think I killed the interview..

Got an interview on Monday for a middle school SS teachin job..so gonna try and do my best on that one too..

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I received a call from Aerotek (a staffing agency) and the woman I spoke to said she came across my resume and was interested in speaking with me about a position as a Job Recruiter. We had about a 10 min conversation about the requirements and responsibilities of the job and then set up a screening call on Monday. However, through my research online some people said it was a shady company and a few people said it was a pyramid scheme.

The thing that confused me though was that the woman I spoke to said I would be making $40k a year to start plus commission. So then how would that be a pyramid scheme? I've had a few pyramid scheme guys offer me jobs but they were always commission only which raised a red flag causing me to avoid them.

Does anybody have experience with Aerotek? I'm still gonna go through with the screening call on Monday but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them
Aerotek is legit...I started working for Wells Fargo last summer with a group of about 20 other people at the same time, and some of them had been recruited via Aerotek...the people I talked to really liked Aerotek, and the way they handled them in finding them a job.  Ultimately, I suppose it depends on the job, but I think you should play it out.

The thing is I wouldn't be getting a job from Aerotek but I would be working FOR Aerotek themselves as a Job Recruiter getting people jobs. The woman on the phone said some days I might be working late but they pay over time. Then when I was reading reviews from former employees on the internet they said that most days you're there from 7:30am to almost 10pm and they DO NOT pay overtime most of the time. To me if an employer lies to me or sugar coats a job just so I will be interested, it's usually a red flag for me. And the woman said they want a "long term employee" and I wouldn't wanna give my word to someone that I am willing to work for them for 2-3 years and then a week into the job, I regret it

group job interviews will be the death of me 
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif

tired.gif

mad.gif

No updates for me really. Just the usual apply for job, follow up routine. And try to put my name out there. I'm finding out it's really hard to switch careers. Had something lined up but they're going with someone who has more experience. (of course!!)

got hit with a pyramid scheme yesterday.

:smh.

just sent my info into Aerotek too, actually.

what i plan to do is steal some jobs to apply to from them.

this was posted on my friends FB, most of this applies to the NY area. hope this helps yall

NOW HIRING:
(1)FEDEX 877-716-8753
(2)HOME DEPOT 877-967-5443
(3)KEYSPANENERGY 718-403-2000
(4)MADISONSQUARE GARDEN 212-465-6335
(5)PORT AUTHORITY 212-435-4700
(6)SOCIAL SECURITY 718-557-5090
(7)UPS 888-877-0922
(8)VERIZON 800-511-8086
(9)APPLE BANK 212-224-6400
(10)STAPLES 800-378-2753
(11)TIME WARNER CABLE 212-598-7200

attended a job fair today. some people wore suits like me, some people had jeans and sneakers. even saw a guy with his house arrest bracelet.

got a good feed on a manager position for walmart, but it's in Salem, Missouri.
frown.gif

and a nice position with express scripts. another NT'r referred me to them earlier and i never fully checked it out.

applied to those two. fingers crossed.

hey NT! ill be starting as a business analyst over at Pacific Gas and Electric (bay area) on monday. this job search has been a total pain, but im glad something finally went through. pay could be better, but in this economy, its better than no job. 
those still hunting, keep at it! i was at a point where i wanted to stop because nothing was panning out, but not doing anything didn't get me any farther. dont give up! 

i used a lot of craigslist, indeed, simplyhired, dice, and jobfox as far as job search engines go. glassdoor is also a good resource if youre interested in a particular company. you can see what employees (anonymously) have said about working for them, an idea of how much certain roles make, as well as some interview questions interviewees have experienced when talking with HR/hiring managers, etc. regardless of where you are in your career, i hope all you seekers find employment very soon. good luck!   

been out of a job for a year Finally got a decent job last week got fired two days ago for pulling my phone out to check the time
mad.gif
  no warning or nothing work related to top it off the women who fired me was a temporary supervisor ...#%$% The Hi Power! 

I got an interview with Polo.. as bilingual store associate anyone have some info? not sure if i want go because the place is 30 minutes away from my house

been back in the SF area for a week now and got 1 job right away and 3 interviews already. putting in work with craigslist pays off. look for brand ambassador jobs!! the pay is solid ($15+/hr) and the job is really easy, and they tend to hire a lot of young college aged/recent grads. had an 11 hour work day today at a food festival, got paid to hang out and eat free food and talk to people.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

been back in the SF area for a week now and got 1 job right away and 3 interviews already. putting in work with craigslist pays off. look for brand ambassador jobs!! the pay is solid ($15+/hr) and the job is really easy, and they tend to hire a lot of young college aged/recent grads. had an 11 hour work day today at a food festival, got paid to hang out and eat free food and talk to people.

have my 2nd interview for apple retail later this week, anyone have any advice

i cant find any branda ambassador jobs in craigslist in south cali.. help?

so your working for Honeydrop beverages? im particuly looking at inland empire.. is it really easy? cuz i really aint trying to talk to poeple 24/7 is it a good job?

pretty much all you do is go set up booths and hand out samples. its really easy work, the pays good, and if you're a pretty social person its fun. but yea 95% of the job is talking to people so it may not be what you're looking for

Back
Top Bottom