Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Welp, my job passed me over for another position, a full-time position, while I'm still part-time. They hired some young chick
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Talking about they're looking for those straight out of college. I would quit but then I can't collect unemployment. I'm still grindin' and somewhat hopeful something will come along.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Welp, my job passed me over for another position, a full-time position, while I'm still part-time. They hired some young chick
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Talking about they're looking for those straight out of college. I would quit but then I can't collect unemployment. I'm still grindin' and somewhat hopeful something will come along.
I thought you landed a decent gig at ABC?  I may be confusing you, and it's been awhile.

Just moved back in June and now looking for a job in the SF bay area. I've been working for the 49ers as a Marketing Intern but its mostly part-time work and I'm looking for a job where I can get some consistent pay and good experience. 
Good luck, are you looking to stay in the sports industry?  My former VP Operations moved on to the ******** and he told me a lot of NFL teams (including the ********) used the lockout as an excuse to "lay off" a lot of front office staff and cut benefits.  Definitely dirty.

If you have a suit and tie in your closet you should definitely get it dry cleaned and take it to whatever interview.  It never hurts, NEVER.

I interviewed a couple folks last week, panel interview, and only one dude showed up with a sharp suit.  He's the one that landed the gig, it shows you are serious and professional.

Good Luck fella's

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by krazy88s

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
I thought you landed a decent gig at ABC?  I may be confusing you, and it's been awhile.
Yeah, thats me but it's always been part-time.

just got a job today after a 2 month layoff from my old company... mind you i was at my old company for 3 plus months and they gave me the ax because i was the newest person there... but when they originally hired me they said my job would be fine and i wouldn't get laid off when the department would shut down...they knew the department i was in was being shut down but they hired me anyway... they lied but you know what.. its a blessing in disguise because i got a better job 
pimp.gif

*WARNING* long read but interesting nonetheless

so let me go over how the process went with the job i got today... i got hired for a program coordinator position for a well known company in nyc... but the process was not easy to say the least... there was 3 interviews including the one today... the first interview i met with my supervisor and team leader and they asked or grilled me on my previous jobs and what i can bring to the company... and i got frazzled and completely forgot what i did in my last position... i admitted i was nervous and they understood but i got my thoughts together and told them all my experiences from my last jobs... i then continued to take a lot of notes of the responsibilities of the job as they were going over with me along with asking a lot of questions... i then took a test and met with the program attorney right after... that was the first interview... the following week i went on my second interview with the director of my department and it felt terrible to say the least... the interview was late because the director was busy handling her own business... but when i talked to her the interview felt very short... i asked questions at the end of the interview and she answered everything but asked if i had more questions i said no you went over everything and on the first interview they explained the position to me.... at this point i assumed i didn't get the job just based on how the interview went.... i continued to interview for other companies and 2 weeks later i hear back from the HR for this position... i already forgot about this company and assumed i didnt get the position... she was asking me to fill out an application and email it to her and asked for my references... i was skeptical at first but i guess they said something good about me...so she calls me back saying come in for an interview which would be today... i come in prepared to get grilled and ready to answer questions... shes going over the company and telling me everything about it and im asking questions just to get some rapport with the HR... i then ask questions at the end of the interview... i asked her whats next in the hiring process and she says " whats next is we want to hire you"... she gives me a range of salary and im like
eyes.gif
is this negotiable? she said she had to ask the director and i thought it over in like 15 seconds and was like ill take the job... she said you sure about accepting this salary i said yes... i figured she was hinging on giving me more and i dont have a lot of experience to ask for more money and thought they would take back the offer so i immediately accepted... and now i start on tues...the whole process was 1 month to get hired but well worth it...

Cliffnotes
went on 3 interviews
first interview was decent at best
called back for second interview the following week which went bad i assumed
i thought i didnt get the job and forgot about it really
interviewed for other jobs
HR called out of nowhere and asked for references
HR gave third interview went over the company and got offered the job
month long process

so with all that being said for you guys trying to get a job hang in there... you will get a job just give it time... don't give yourself a timetable just keep grinding away and not think about the days passing that you don't have a job... once you go on the interviews ask a lot of questions during the interview and after and also take a lot of notes during the interview...try to have a rapport with the interviewer...remember its like having a conversation with them...

i hope i didn't bore you and my post was informative... my bad im just hyped
laugh.gif

Ideally I would like to work within the sports industry but I'm really looking for a foot in the door anywhere.  But yeah I can see what you're saying because there was a lot of turn over in the 49ers front office as all of my superiors are new this year.

Just got my first job offer
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!!!

The salary is on the low-end for an engineer, but I'm glad I finally have something. Now I'll try to contact other companies and see if I have other options....

restaurants, nightlife, bottle service, bartenders, barbacks, high end spots, upscale lounges and clubs. THAT'S WHERE THE MONEY IS AT!!!!.....craigslist is your best friend i got a crazy job from it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!!!

The salary is on the low-end for an engineer, but I'm glad I finally have something. Now I'll try to contact other companies and see if I have other options....

Congrats! If I'm not mistaken, you're Civil correct? What company if you don't mind me asking? Nonetheless, great job! I think I'm close behind you.

Originally Posted by AG 47

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!!!

Congrats! If I'm not mistaken, you're Civil correct? What company if you don't mind me asking? Nonetheless, great job! I think I'm close behind you.
I'm a Mechanical Engineer....right now I won't disclose the name since I'm still deciding on it, but it's a small company doing biotech stuff. I have a tough decision ahead over whether or not to take the job, since I have a lot of other interviews on the table and some jobs I really like.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!!!

I'm a Mechanical Engineer....right now I won't disclose the name since I'm still deciding on it, but it's a small company doing biotech stuff. I have a tough decision ahead over whether or not to take the job, since I have a lot of other interviews on the table and some jobs I really like.

Whoops, my mistake. Good luck bro. I had a buddy graduate Mechanical a few years back, got a job with Union Pacific and is loving life right now so I'm sure career happiness is right around the corner for you.

How have your interviews been? Super technical or general type info? From my experiences, interviews have lasted around 3-3.5hrs filled with technical/general/personality tests.

Interview at macys on monday... Im trying to get anything right now. Bills need to be paid, I cant leave all this on my girls shoulders much longer, plus my lease is up at the end of october...... Damn, @!$# gettin serious. Will update after interview either way, hoping for a offer same day. Wish me luck!

Whoops, my mistake. Good luck bro. I had a buddy graduate Mechanical a few years back, got a job with Union Pacific and is loving life right now so I'm sure career happiness is right around the corner for you.

How have your interviews been? Super technical or general type info? From my experiences, interviews have lasted around 3-3.5hrs filled with technical/general/personality tests.
Thanks, good luck to you too.
pimp.gif

Really depends on the company. I've had some super technical interviews (like one at HP last year), and some very general career/behavior like interviews, and some that were in-between. Yeah, usually they were roughly 3 hours for me as well....I had one that was 30 minutes long (super informal, the hiring managers didn't really care) and even one that was 5.5 hours.

Originally Posted by fresh2deff

Interview at macys on monday... Im trying to get anything right now. Bills need to be paid, I cant leave all this on my girls shoulders much longer, plus my lease is up at the end of october...... Damn, @!$# gettin serious. Will update after interview either way, hoping for a offer same day. Wish me luck!

a sense of urgency always kicks starts peoples butts.  do it man.

btw, i was thinking about my aunt the other day.  I remember she worked at macy's in the handbag section and did over a million in sales for the company.
there was only 5 peeps who did over a milla that year and got bonuses and what not.
i'm surprised she did receive any job offers or recruitment letters after she left macy's (worked for just a year).. she went to work for the government instead.

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Ideally I would like to work within the sports industry but I'm really looking for a foot in the door anywhere.  But yeah I can see what you're saying because there was a lot of turn over in the 49ers front office as all of my superiors are new this year.

You with the 9ers? I know a girl there, you probably know her since you have something in common (from your avy).

tomorrow is tuesday whats up bumpin some ti motivation.. got jeezy in too just as back up lets get money

Had my interview at Macys today, felt like it went really well. Shes suppose to call me back tomorrow either way, so its now the waiting game..... The pay is kinda low for unloading trucks, but its better than nothing.

I have a college degree in Psychology, I can't go to grad school, I have loans to pay off .I should be grateful I have some income but I just can't stand working at Best Buy. The company is just ridiculous now. My store feels like it is being run by incompetent people. I hate retail, I hate the feeling like I'm scamming people. They want me to think of it as "my" business. If it were "my" business I would have more input as to how things are being done. I'm done with that place. Time to start making moves.

Back
Top Bottom