Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

is anyone broke, homeless and don't know what to do. ive been having suicidal thoughts, but... i'll never. life changed so much for me. its almost like it never took off. i just got a taste of what could have been.

look into Americorps or Peacecorps....life really shouldn't be that bad. 
indifferent.gif

http://www.peacecorps.gov/ or http://www.americorps.gov/

Gotta make a huge decision...

Either I take the offer I have now (need to decide by tomorrow), or decline it and go on with 3-4 other possibilities and interviews. The offer I have now isn't a bad job, and the people seemed cool, but it's relatively low pay. I also feel I'd prefer a larger company in order to make more connections and get to know more people. But either way, can't go wrong but it's a very tough decision to make.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Either I take the offer I have now (need to decide by tomorrow), or decline it and go on with 3-4 other possibilities and interviews. The offer I have now isn't a bad job, and the people seemed cool, but it's relatively low pay. I also feel I'd prefer a larger company in order to make more connections and get to know more people. But either way, can't go wrong but it's a very tough decision to make.

they say flip a coin and you'll figure it out by the time the coin flips.

i don't believe that.  i say write it all down pro/cons.. and talk to your parents.  that's how I do it when i have to make a big decision. gl.

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

Originally Posted by acidicality

they say flip a coin and you'll figure it out by the time the coin flips.

i don't believe that.  i say write it all down pro/cons.. and talk to your parents.  that's how I do it when i have to make a big decision. gl.
Thanks, I ended up taking the offer.
pimp.gif
It was a no-brainer after I was able to negotiate salary a little bit and get it to a range I liked. Spent the whole night thinking about what I wanted to do and kept wavering back and forth
laugh.gif
, but ultimately figured that the other job possibilities I had weren't significantly better than this one...and if I don't like this job enough, I can always test the market again, and when I do I will have better opportunities available from having more work experience.

Been looking for a job since May with 0 luck. I can't even look for a job in a different state where I'd have to relocate because I couldn't afford to do so.

In college, I was an English major because my career goals were to go to Law School and become a lawyer. I lost my credit card and reported it stolen and they told me there was over $1,000 in charges on it. They did an investigation and decided that there wasn't enough evidence to prove it wasn't me using the card
indifferent.gif
So since I was unemployed, I couldn't afford to pay it off (had other bills/tuition to worry about) and it effected my credit very negatively (ended up defaulting) Due to that fact, I couldn't take out a student loan for law school since I couldn't get approved for a loan with bad credit, and decided to work after I got my bachelors and just save up for a few years until I could afford to go to Law School. I'm now 4 months out of college and have gotten ZERO interviews. Yes, zero. And before people say I'm not looking hard enough, that's BS because I've been sending my resume to 10-15 places A DAY. I could only work part time while in college so all my experience is retail oriented. Problem is, that English degree isn't very enticing to most businesses
30t6p3b.gif
It's getting more n more stressful by the day because I wanna get my life off the ground already and it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon
ohwell.gif
(I live in NYC btw..Job Market for anything more than a retail job making $8-9 an hour is basically non-existent)

Sorry for the rant..Just needed to get it off my chest

got hired at a bowling alley for the game room this week 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

good luck to all of yall, took me a year and a half to even get an interview, keep your head up like i did and one will come your way

^ uptempo I know that feel.
30t6p3b.gif
Almost everything you said is close to my situation. I'm in NYC area too (NJ). Nothing but retail and sales jobs 'round here.

Although I'm just underemployed I've been looking. Some stuff since I last posted in here: I finally got job offer. I turned it down though (thanks for the advice and opinions yall). Yesterday I got a call from IT recruiter about a long-term job in either Ohio or Colorado. Spoke to him a bit and sent him my resume. I'll follow up with him shortly.

uptempo I've been in the same situation too
30t6p3b.gif
. I know exactly how it feels...I've looked for jobs for over a year, and I finally just got my first "permanent full-time" job offer recently (which I ended up accepting). While I was lucky to have some temporary jobs, it's very, very competitive right now even for engineering internships. Just keep at it, you'll get your breaks soon, keep applying to jobs and if you're not getting responses just keep switching up your resume. One tip I would give anyone is to expand your resume as much as possible and add everything you possibly can. Once I added everything in compared to before where I compressed everything to one page, the number of calls I got went up a lot.

Also, the jobs at big companies that everyone knows about (i.e. Apple, Google, Nike, etc.) are incredibly competitive to get right now. Apply to some jobs at smaller companies, there are search engines where you can find smaller companies in your area which might give you a better chance, and sometimes, a better opportunity.

Ended up getting hired at Macys to unload trucks and work the dock. Start training on monday. Im happy with it even tho its low paying...

I took a summer job with hopes that they would be able to keep me on full time, or at least, part time... but no dice
30t6p3b.gif
had to move out of my apt and into my aunt's house. It's somewhat of a relief not paying 500+ for a place to stay, and it gives me the opportunity to save, but I'm not making anything to save now. I applied at a temp agency and they had a few locations in mind to place me. I had to take a test on my knowledge of microsoft Excel.

Man, it's TOUGH getting a job. NT needs to start some lottery pools man; chances of winning are better than the chances of landing a decent job, it seems.

Still looking for another co-op.
In the mean time I'm trying to get this work study job on campus. Had an interview today, think I have a really good shot of getting it.
The pay is crap and only work 12-15 hours a week but I'm still at home so this is just money to play around with on weekends without having to ask my parents. I hate asking them for money

been on my job for almost 3 months now.............such a relief man, such a damn relief.

but it seems like im getting the same amount i was when i wasnt working because im buying lunch (or buying more groceries to take lunch to work) putting more gas in the car and stuff like that.

You guys will find a job...........but you ARE gonna have to expand your horizons if you are desperate.

Thanks for the positive words krazy88s and acidicality. I will definitely keep my mind in focus and continue to hustle as much as possible in terms of getting my resume. And shout out to the NT'er Okaykk for sending me the link to a job opening in NYC. Went ahead and sent my resume in. Who knows, maybe NT will be the assistance I needed
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by kickstart

is anyone broke, homeless and don't know what to do. ive been having suicidal thoughts, but... i'll never. life changed so much for me. its almost like it never took off. i just got a taste of what could have been.

indifferent.gif

well, life isn't too bad. its bad. I've adapted w/o succumbing to what can make it worse... to this point i write.

kickstart said:

indifferent.gif

well, life isn't too bad. its bad. I've adapted w/o succumbing to what can make it worse... to this point i write.
join military. it will set you straight while earining some money

Sup its 4:30am

man yall need to really start enhancing ur resume if your having a hard time getting interviews.. aka just st8 up lie on them.
i put that i was a graduate on my resume.. i haven't even finished high school yet.works best for entry-level jobs though.

the guy with an english degree... u should just change ur whole major on ur resume. make it more technical than just english. ex. put down ur a writer instead of a english major etc.

Gutta Bob

you are giving horrible advice. You have not even graduated high school? Why are you suggesting people lie about graduating college?

You guys can go ahead and listen to a 15-16 year old on job advice if you would like.

And writer instead of english major? that does not even make sense. Do you know what a major means/is?

I graduated college in May and have not had a issue working. I live in the NYC area, for those looking for work in that area check out UNIQLO. I worked there in the past, as low-level management, before I got a job in a industry I plan to make a career in. They are hiring like crazy for the new 5th Ave. store and 34th St. stores opening up in October.

You really have to network. Sending your resume online is not enough. It goes to a black-hole of resumes, very hard to standout. Contact people you know from childhood, community friends, etc. You NEED your resume to get in the hands of HR. Sending 10-15 resumes online is not enough these days. So no need to lie you went to college, or make up a major like Gutta Bob suggests. Network within your community and keep your head up.

Move to canada and hop on welfare, 598 a month is good foundation at least while looking for a job.
Someone said it earlier Networking is key, most of these positions are given based on preferences, if HR knows you by name through another employee your chances of getting said position increase dramatically.

Lying is no good. It'll only be a matter of time before +@*+ hits the fan when you do that.

Networking is definitely important, let your college friends know you're looking for a job. Also don't just use Indeed/CareerBuilder, etc. There are lots of small companies around your area; you just have to search for them and submit your resume all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom