Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Idk how to write a resume

Never use a template to write your resume. The templates are poor, and moreover, everyone else uses them which means your resume will be laid out identically to everyone else's. For simplicity and readability, you should always use Times New Roman or Arial font for a resume, and only one or two sizes. Avoid complicated formatting (such as automated bullet point lists, numbering schemes/outlining schemes, and tables or frames) as much as possible. And always send your resume in PDF, not Word format. This belongs to a friend of mine take a look at it. http://destinypedia.net/Legal Resume_Redacted.pdf

Originally Posted by Antidope

Never use a template to write your resume. The templates are poor, and moreover, everyone else uses them which means your resume will be laid out identically to everyone else's. For simplicity and readability, you should always use Times New Roman or Arial font for a resume, and only one or two sizes. Avoid complicated formatting (such as automated bullet point lists, numbering schemes/outlining schemes, and tables or frames) as much as possible. And always send your resume in PDF, not Word format. This belongs to a friend of mine take a look at it. http://destinypedia.net/Legal Resume_Redacted.pdf
100% disagree.

You should check out tons of templates and various different resumes, and then decide if you want to create your own. The resume OP posted imo is terrible. all the credentials are there but who cares if it doesn't have any aesthetic appeal. bullets , tables, are all methods to give yourself a cleaner more worthwhile look. That resume looks like a sloppy newspaper article and if someone has the chance to look at that or a succint to the point 1 page resume what do you think they are more likely to do.

as far as only working in retail just make your job sound bigger than it was. if you worked at mcdonalds you could fib about how you greeted every customer in a certain fashion, make your day to day activities sound a lot better than cooking and cleaning, and there are many ways to do that.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

100% disagree.

You should check out tons of templates and various different resumes, and then decide if you want to create your own. The resume OP posted imo is terrible. all the credentials are there but who cares if it doesn't have any aesthetic appeal. bullets , tables, are all methods to give yourself a cleaner more worthwhile look. That resume looks like a sloppy newspaper article and if someone has the chance to look at that or a succint to the point 1 page resume what do you think they are more likely to do.

as far as only working in retail just make your job sound bigger than it was. if you worked at mcdonalds you could fib about how you greeted every customer in a certain fashion, make your day to day activities sound a lot better than cooking and cleaning, and there are many ways to do that.
I know that guy personally and his track record speaks for itself. His undergrad was also in HR so I feel like his word is pretty valuable. All that I posted was his advice BTW.  Could you be more clear on what you mean by aesthetic appeal?

I'm a pretty good writer but when it comes to resumes I get a little too modest. When I read supposedly good one it's typically comedy, so much unnecessary fluff and wording. but i guess it works tho. At and t just opened a new call center and a few of my peeps got hired on the spot. Since I have a degree I may have a chance at becoming a manager. That would be amazing.

100% disagree.

Who cares if it doesn't have any aesthetic appeal? No wonder this thread is +75 pages.
30t6p3b.gif

I don't think it's a terrible resume at all. Looks exactly like every resume I've ever created and I haven't been without work since I was 16.

Experience and personality mean so much more than any aesthetic attribute on a resume.

and I'm sorry but you really can't make working at McDonalds sound like anything other than working at McDonalds.

Not there's anything wrong at all with working at an establishment like that, but you have to put yourself in the position of the employer. Most likely they're not stupid and no matter how eloquently you describe your ability to operate the deep fryer you're not going to impress anybody.

If your only experience is working retail you need to convey that that's where you developed your foundation of outstanding customer service and teamwork skills and leave it at that.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

I'm a pretty good writer but when it comes to resumes I get a little too modest. When I read supposedly good one it's typically comedy, so much unnecessary fluff and wording. but i guess it works tho. At and t just opened a new call center and a few of my peeps got hired on the spot. Since I have a degree I may have a chance at becoming a manager. That would be amazing.
Keep all the unnecessary stuff to a minimum.

You're obviously hot +!@$. Be very precise and direct as to why.

I work Fri and Saturday nights

it could be worst but Im throwing vagina away with every passing weekend

oh well its tough out here I see

Originally Posted by MrBrown

I work Fri and Saturday nights

it could be worst but Im throwing vagina away with every passing weekend

oh well its tough out here I see

M.O.B fam
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Currently looking for a second job, Cox Cable has an opening in my area for customer service. anybody have any experience in customer service? Thanks

Just got a job with Investopedia, I feel good right now. The pays not much but its a strong addition to my resume and I can still do other stuff while I work there

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

100% disagree.

Who cares if it doesn't have any aesthetic appeal? No wonder this thread is +75 pages.
30t6p3b.gif

I don't think it's a terrible resume at all. Looks exactly like every resume I've ever created and I haven't been without work since I was 16.

Experience and personality mean so much more than any aesthetic attribute on a resume.

and I'm sorry but you really can't make working at McDonalds sound like anything other than working at McDonalds.

Not there's anything wrong at all with working at an establishment like that, but you have to put yourself in the position of the employer. Most likely they're not stupid and no matter how eloquently you describe your ability to operate the deep fryer you're not going to impress anybody.

If your only experience is working retail you need to convey that that's where you developed your foundation of outstanding customer service and teamwork skills and leave it at that.
so basically you just disagreed with me about mcdonalds then sat and wrote why examples on how you agreed with me?
eyes.gif

for the job this man applied for his resume was most likely good because of what he had to offer and they'd likely take the time to go through all of that. That said times have changed my friend, everyone wants a job and they are scarce. every career center meeting i've had at school mentions making your resume stand out.

what separates or makes your jumble of text worth reading in comparison to 5 others sitting on the table. HR is going to go through 10000000000 of these a day and you prefer to be just another block of text rather than put a little format into your resume? Nobody said get out the coloring crayons.

the whole aesthetic idea is why the "1 page rule" has been lightly placed on resumes. otherwise you put too much emphasis on hoping your resume will be read, or even skimmed rather than forcing their hand by being inviting.

Just got my BS in Public Policy Dec 14 last year so 1 month into unemployed graduate but I've only seriously been looking for the past 10 days or so. Hoping to be employed by the end of March the latest.

Yahoo just had an article on the worst top 10 u.s cities to find a job. The city I live in is number 2 on the list.
30t6p3b.gif

so basically you just disagreed with me about mcdonalds then sat and wrote why examples on how you agreed with me?
eyes.gif

for the job this man applied for his resume was most likely good because of what he had to offer and they'd likely take the time to go through all of that. That said times have changed my friend, everyone wants a job and they are scarce. every career center meeting i've had at school mentions making your resume stand out.

what separates or makes your jumble of text worth reading in comparison to 5 others sitting on the table. HR is going to go through 10000000000 of these a day and you prefer to be just another block of text rather than put a little format into your resume? Nobody said get out the coloring crayons.

the whole aesthetic idea is why the "1 page rule" has been lightly placed on resumes. otherwise you put too much emphasis on hoping your resume will be read, or even skimmed rather than forcing their hand by being inviting.

My resume has gotten me interviews just off the strength of its aesthetic appeal.  Ever since I changed it up every interview started off with "this is one of the best resumes I have ever seen."  The biggest draw is the software icons I threw on there.  It's colorful but tasteful.  As someone whose had a job reviewing hundreds of resumes, trust me when I say reading through that same ole standard black and white stuff was TORTURE.

Break out the crayons, go over-the-top... Realize that this document is your ONLY representation so you gotta make it count. While I didn't land my most desired positions I at least got the interviews.  Companies overlooked my lack of specialized experience and gave me a shot based solely on my resume's presentation.         

88e351d6e8089929ba54bf1c12e12a5887a8fed.png

You can do a Google search on resume techniques that work.  Dont be afraid to draw inspiration from different sources and turn it into something that represents YOU

Not to be argumentative or rude, you told him not to use a template. Then you send him a template.
Just sayin'

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

88e351d6e8089929ba54bf1c12e12a5887a8fed.png

You can do a Google search on resume techniques that work.  Dont be afraid to draw inspiration from different sources and turn it into something that represents YOU
Thats pretty cool. I'd be interested to know how you did that.

Originally Posted by LosPollosHermanos

Not to be argumentative or rude, you told him not to use a template. Then you send him a template.
Just sayin'
I wouldnt necessarily call that a template, its just adhering to a lot of common techniques for resume writing, from what I was told by my friend he did that all from scratch, or did you mean that I told him not to use one then proceeded to give him one to emulate?

Originally Posted by oso23

Yahoo just had an article on the worst top 10 u.s cities to find a job. The city I live in is number 2 on the list.
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Half of that list is California

[table][tr][th=""]Metro Area[/th] [th=""]Unemployment Rate, Nov. 2011[/th] [th=""]Y-Y Change[/th][/tr][tr][td]1. Merced, Calif.[/td] [td]16.9[/td] [td]-1.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]2. Fresno, Calif.[/td] [td]15.7[/td] [td]-1.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]3. Modesto, Calif.[/td] [td]15.5[/td] [td]-1.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]4. Stockton, Calif.[/td] [td]15.5[/td] [td]-2.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]5. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]-1.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]6. Atlantic City-Hammonton, N.J.[/td] [td]12.4[/td] [td]0.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]7. Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.[/td] [td]13.4[/td] [td]-2.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]8. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.[/td] [td]11.7[/td] [td]-0.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]9. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [td]-2.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]10. Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas[/td] [td]11.2[/td] [td]-0.5[/td][/tr][/table]

Exactly that, haha. And I'd consider it a template, you know? Like the structure, where to put what, the style. but whatever, it's good, looks similar to mine.

Originally Posted by nnarum

There's work if you lower your standards. Times are rough.
Tell me about it. 2 years ago i was in the mind-frame that i would never wait tables. i was like 'i'm not about to be pickin up dirtydishes and rakin them out, that's gross'. Been workin in a restaurant since February of last year. I don't make very much, and I work pretty hard. It SUCKS having to work pretty much every single weekend. I have a college degree also (Stillman College; May 05'; Fine Arts Major), i really want to dosomething dealing with being on TV, but I'm not even sure what options i have. I live in Mobile, AL and the job market is hurting down here. I wasseriously considering moving to Texas.

I've had sooooooooooooooooooooooo many jobs since I've graduated. Some i wish i still had. Am I the only one that feels like online sites: Monster,careerbuilder, hotjobs and especially craigslist are pointless? i apply to tons of jobs and never get any feedback. I may need to improve my resume.

Someone earlier mentioned the Air Force and I am heavily considering that. My girl is in basic training now, and I may go in April. My dad has been tryin toget me to go for YEARS, it seems to be a legit plan.

Serious Question: Do any of you know exactly what it is that you want to do for a living?
Dude I feel you, I got an associates degree, trying to get a bachelors and craigslist especially keep advertising the same jobs over and over again.

Originally Posted by NYC game

Originally Posted by nnarum

There's work if you lower your standards. Times are rough.
Tell me about it. 2 years ago i was in the mind-frame that i would never wait tables. i was like 'i'm not about to be pickin up dirty dishes and rakin them out, that's gross'. Been workin in a restaurant since February of last year. I don't make very much, and I work pretty hard. It SUCKS having to work pretty much every single weekend. I have a college degree also (Stillman College; May 05'; Fine Arts Major), i really want to do something dealing with being on TV, but I'm not even sure what options i have. I live in Mobile, AL and the job market is hurting down here. I was seriously considering moving to Texas.

I've had sooooooooooooooooooooooo many jobs since I've graduated. Some i wish i still had. Am I the only one that feels like online sites: Monster, careerbuilder, hotjobs and especially craigslist are pointless? i apply to tons of jobs and never get any feedback. I may need to improve my resume.

Someone earlier mentioned the Air Force and I am heavily considering that. My girl is in basic training now, and I may go in April. My dad has been tryin to get me to go for YEARS, it seems to be a legit plan.

Serious Question: Do any of you know exactly what it is that you want to do for a living?
Dude I feel you, I got an associates degree, trying to get a bachelors and craigslist especially keep advertising the same jobs over and over again.

No it depends on your background. I am an Engineer and Monster help me get 2 jobs. All I did was post my resume on Monster and a couple days later job recruiters were calling me. It just depends on your background andw what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by imrichboy

Hey NT how do you prepare for an interview?
  • Know your resume like the back of your hand 
  • Memorize 3 adjectives to describe yourself
  • Craft a sincere (sounding) response on why you want to work for them.  Even if they just ask: why do you want this job?  Always try to bring it back to the company
  • Rehearse retelling previous experiences that could directly relate to the job
  • If they ask for a weakness, give them an area of improvement followed by how you've worked on it
  • Be prepared to answer: Where do you see yourself in 2-5 years?  Make it sound good
  • ASK QUESTIONS!!!  It could be about the job particulars, growth potential, company direction, etc... ALWAYS have questions at the end.
  • Finally, dont stop at how hard a worker you would be.  Show them how your personality, character, and values would be appreciated in the workplace  
I just finished my first week on the new job.  Its just customer care work for a small company.  The people are cool as hell and the place is just so positive because they are seeing success.  Pay and benefits are far from great but it'll get the bills paid and I'm grateful for that.  Actually feels kinda nice not having to wear slacks and a tie to work 
laugh.gif

And for anyone in here straying from their desired field just to work, definitely dont be afraid to utilize your network (previous supervisors, family, friends...).  You dont have to do it all by yourself.  Long story short, after touching bases I have a lunch scheduled with an SVP I worked under during a previous internship to figure out how she can help.  And this woman definitely knows people

I could of used this for the last interview I went to. Completely bombed it. They said my experience was great but wasn't personable enough.
mad.gif

Interviews for Business positions are completely different than Engineering, I have an engineering background and went in there talking technical and I guess they weren't feeling it

Originally Posted by jhobson5

Originally Posted by NYC game

Tell me about it. 2 years ago i was in the mind-frame that i would never wait tables. i was like 'i'm not about to be pickin up dirty dishes and rakin them out, that's gross'. Been workin in a restaurant since February of last year. I don't make very much, and I work pretty hard. It SUCKS having to work pretty much every single weekend. I have a college degree also (Stillman College; May 05'; Fine Arts Major), i really want to do something dealing with being on TV, but I'm not even sure what options i have. I live in Mobile, AL and the job market is hurting down here. I was seriously considering moving to Texas.

I've had sooooooooooooooooooooooo many jobs since I've graduated. Some i wish i still had. Am I the only one that feels like online sites: Monster, careerbuilder, hotjobs and especially craigslist are pointless? i apply to tons of jobs and never get any feedback. I may need to improve my resume.

Someone earlier mentioned the Air Force and I am heavily considering that. My girl is in basic training now, and I may go in April. My dad has been tryin to get me to go for YEARS, it seems to be a legit plan.

No it depends on your background. I am an Engineer and Monster help me get 2 jobs. All I did was post my resume on Monster and a couple days later job recruiters were calling me. It just depends on your background andw what you are looking for.
But what's the point if I have to be an engineer to get a job ?
I'm talking about common jobs like customer service and data entry, stuff you should easily find.

Got another job interview today, this definitely my best week of the year. Pays way more than my job now so if I get it I am gone. Anyone have some interview tips for me? My resume has landed me a good number of interviews but I'm 0 for 8 on those in terms of getting an offer so it clearly is my interview, not so much what I say and do, but rather other candidates beating me out for jobs. Anyone got any advice on how to play yourself up more than the next guy?

Back
Top Bottom