Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

88e351d6e8089929ba54bf1c12e12a5887a8fed.png

You can do a Google search on resume techniques that work.  Dont be afraid to draw inspiration from different sources and turn it into something that represents YOU
Thats pretty cool. I'd be interested to know how you did that.
I basically used a lot of text boxes in Word.  The header is just 3 text boxes (1 big black one & 2 with white font).  The resume section is it's own text box.  For the software section I Google'd the icons then cleaned them up in Photoshop.  I made them into one column and saved them as one GIF image with a transparent background.  Uploaded it to the Word doc, did another text box for the titles and that's basically it.  If you have basic Word and PS experience then it's pretty simple.  The hard part is actually settling on a final product.

I'm at a loss right now and I need some help. I got a call from a firm today for a position on their tax staff and they liked my resume but they wanted me to speak on my corporate tax experience in more detail since thats what I will be doing primarily as its a large firm. this is what I have
-On a quarterly basis, prepared forms G-7 and form 941 usinginformation that was gathered from the firms financial records.

-Prepared form 1040 for employees.

Yeah thats all I could think of in terms of a DETAILED description. I'm really drawing a blank right now and getting nervous about the entire thing. HR wants this detailed summary by tomorrow morning, can anyone help?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by sonofsam

just got fired today...feels good man..lol

feels good mang haha. i wish i'd get fired.. game all day and collect unemployment.  smoke weed too all day.

I have an interview tomorrow for an IT position on campus.
Every interview I've had except for the last one have has been more of a formality, so I'm pretty new to this thing.

I currently have a job at the Gap and been there for over a year.

Got a job interview with a hospital for a part time position.

pretty stoked. don't give up guys!

Last time coming in here for a while hopefully.
Just got the job I was interviewed for yesterday at this research center on campus.
I'll be doing IT support, I'm so excited. First job relating to my new major, hopefully I can turn this into a bigger position by the time I graduate.

I think what really helped me out was the fact that I researched about what they do there, and saw that they had 3 supercomputers. 2 of the guys interviewing me seemed like computer nerds like myself so I talked to them about their supercomputers and started talking about hardware that I used to build my own computer.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Just got the job I was interviewed for yesterday at this research center on campus.
I'll be doing IT support, I'm so excited. First job relating to my new major, hopefully I can turn this into a bigger position by the time I graduate.

I think what really helped me out was the fact that I researched about what they do there, and saw that they had 3 supercomputers. 2 of the guys interviewing me seemed like computer nerds like myself so I talked to them about their supercomputers and started talking about hardware that I used to build my own computer.
Congrats
pimp.gif

I'm actually trying to get into the IT field.  I'll be going back to school for Comp. Sci in the summer.  How far along are you in your major?  I'm hoping to change jobs ASAP once I start classes

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Congrats
pimp.gif

I'm actually trying to get into the IT field.  I'll be going back to school for Comp. Sci in the summer.  How far along are you in your major?  I'm hoping to change jobs ASAP once I start classes

This is only my second semester as a MIS major. Previously was EE so my work experience was similar to what they were looking for

I think im pretty bad with interviews. Im a shy guy, so right off the bat thats hurting me. I need to prepare for my interviews from now on.

So in terms of the actual interview, what are some general answers that get results for the following:

When asked to describe myself...?
Where I see myself in X years...?
When asked why I want to work for such company? (In regards to whats appropriate to give as reasons...)

Also, what are good questions to ask? I usually dont have much to ask, I guess im more of a 'i'll find out while actually ON the job" type.

General tips would be good. Overall I think its my personality and how I tend to get my thoughts a bit mixed up when trying to give 'good' answers.

Some questions I ask in interviews are:
-What are the biggest challenges of this job position?
-What's the key to success for this job/working at Company X?
-What do you like best about working at Company X?
-Another thing is to ask a question related to their business. Read their website, see if there's any news about their business and ask about that. It shows you've done your research and know the industry.

Just had the phone interview. Hopefully I did good. Now to wait for a week or 2.

I was asked:

How do you measure your own success?
Whats the best criticism you have ever received, and from who?

NOT REALLY A NEW JOB BUT MY JOB JUST TRANSFERRED ME FROM MY CURRENT POSITION IN CLEVLEAND, OHIO TO A NEW ELECTRICAL ENGINEER POSITION IN HOUSTON, TEXAS. START DATE IS FEBRUARY 20TH. I'M PRETTY EXCITED FOR THE CHANGE THE INCREASED PAY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR THE WARMER WEATHER.

ENGINEERS ARE IN HIGH DEMAND RIGHT NOW. MY COMPANY IS SCRAMBLING TO FIND NEW GRADS IN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEER TO HIRE...

i was let go, jan 16 and still looking.. these staffing companys suck, they wanted me to fill all this paperwork and i said to the lady i thought we were going to discuss about jobs,

and she said there's nothing and could be something in 2 weeks or not.. so i just left .. trying to get in hold of the college i went too

Originally Posted by jorrdanfan23

i was let go, jan 16 and still looking.. these staffing companys suck, they wanted me to fill all this paperwork and i said to the lady i thought we were going to discuss about jobs,

and she said there's nothing and could be something in 2 weeks or not.. so i just left .. trying to get in hold of the college i went too
See if there is a career center at your school. They may be able to give you free career counseling if you're eligible. My school only did it for current students.

I have a phone interview tomorrow with a company that I've already interviewed with in the past. I made it to the final round but didnt get selected and they called me to re interview again. Is this a good or bad look?

Anyone interning currently? I have an internship right now (only a sophomore) and I'm interested to see who all got offered a position after serving the internship.

I received a job offer through email. It says to respond whether or not I am accepting it, as well as printing it out and signing IF I am accepting. I think I will accept it, but ive read online that I shouldnt respond immediately. Also, whats the proper way to respond?

I got hired about a month ago at a Toyota dealership and business was mad slow so they started firing cats over petty stuff. Myself included.

Man, im down in the dumps.....I had got a job at Lockheed Martin that I was supposed to start training today & start officially March 12.
I got offered the job and I accepted and they told me I would be receiving one more phone call before I start.
Man now there saying there's been a delay with everything and I just have to wait to hear from them again.

Like who TF has time to wait!!! Ive been waiting since Jan. 5 smh!!!!

Originally Posted by car9vel

I received a job offer through email. It says to respond whether or not I am accepting it, as well as printing it out and signing IF I am accepting. I think I will accept it, but ive read online that I shouldnt respond immediately. Also, whats the proper way to respond?

Did they give you a timeline over how long you can respond? They should give you a certain amount of time (whether it's one week, two weeks etc). You don't have to respond immediately- just take a few days to think about it, but if you're 100% sure you're going to take it you can just take it. You should probably call them and inform them you're accepting the job- it's more professional, and a verbal commitment is stronger than just an e-mail commitment...unless they told you do otherwise.

I had an interview for Lacoste and as soon as the interview was finished the manager had me sign the background check papers.

Let me tell it, I had the job but it's been two weeks and still havent gotten any word. I spoke with the manager about

It and he told me he has been trying to get the position opened but he needed the regional

manager's approval.

Can I still count on the job offer or is it a lost cause?

Back
Top Bottom