Jordan Brand will be remastering (building better quality shoes) starting in 2015

What really get's me heated is this same tired excuse they keep throwing out that they destroyed shoe molds or don't have originals of a particular model that can be used to re-create said model...

This keeps getting thrown out there every time the topic of quality comes up...It's total BS since they literally have an entire storage facility that they call the "DNA Warehouse" where, I'd imagine, at least 95% of their original models / samples / and designs are stored...

It's just a lame excuse they have been using for what seems like forever to excuse this junk they've been releasing...

Here is a video where Tinker Hatfield actually talks about and strolls through the "DNA Warehouse"...
right on. nike isn't exactly the most ethical company out there. they will do whatever it takes to maximize their profits. including spewing out a bunch of bull whenever they feel it's necessary to keep their overall image up. maybe if they started paying their workers more or created some more jobs for americans by starting to manufacture them here I would think about paying more.

things fell off every year after 2007 starting with the CDPs which seemed really bad at the time but seem good now compared to where we're at in 2014

like somebody said prices were going up anyway and that hasn't stopped any of you from buying anything you really wanted so dudes really need to get off the high horse like everybody else is brainwashed and so dumb

Seems like it went back further than that...I recall the IV releases of 06' getting tons of complaints due to their lackluster quality...Specifically the "Mars" and Military Blue colorways...To me the very last quality retro, at least in terms of being on par with their OG counterparts, were the Black / Red XII's that dropped in 2003...Not saying every release after that was horrible but as far as purchases that I've made that was the very last quality pair...It just seems like everything started, very slowly, going downhill after that...Of course when we hit the CDP's the quality of materials just took a nose dive...

Will try to cop shoes that I've always wanted and cut down, but knowing JB they're already showing me shoes that I'd easily double up on.

you havent bought a pair in 7 years and don't wanna hear about Jordan trying to improve...

so why are you still on this site? to complain?

Improve or return to normal (with a higher price of course)? Huge difference. I'm pretty sure this site offers more than just Jordan talk but I might be wrong.......

And y'all guys who were buying up all the recent retros should care about this anyway. Y'all were paying for trash quality shoes without a problem in the first place no questions asked.

Last edited:
Concerning prices:

The original AJ1 retailed for $65 in 1985, that's equivalent to about $143 today.

The AJ7s retailed for $110 in 1992, that's equivalent to about $185 today.

The question would be are people getting the exact same materials/craftsmanship they were getting in 85 and 92? I dunno. I just know the quality of the last pair I bought (and sent back) was atrocious. And as you see above we were paying a premium in 92 and 85 and and we are paying a premium now for old tech and what seems to be worse materials. If these are A+ quality and the consumer responds in a positive way then great. I just feel like I was already paying for those materials and not getting them.

One glaring downside that I see in this whole thing...

Sizing...

Now we all know JB is all over the place on sizing between their models but for them to say they are making new molds just kind of sends a shiver down my spine...

Seems like it went back further than that...I recall the IV releases of 06' getting tons of complaints due to their lackluster quality...Specifically the "Mars" and Military Blue colorways...To me the very last quality retro, at least in terms of being on par with their OG counterparts, were the Black / Red XII's that dropped in 2003...Not saying every release after that was horrible but as far as purchases that I've made that was the very last quality pair...It just seems like everything started, very slowly, going downhill after that...Of course when we hit the CDP's the quality of materials just took a nose dive...

Repped all that was said! The military IV's were a big topic on NT as far as the horrible quality! I remember because I wanted them sooo bad.

What really get's me heated is this same tired excuse they keep throwing out that they destroyed shoe molds or don't have originals of a particular model that can be used to re-create said model...

This keeps getting thrown out there every time the topic of quality comes up...It's total BS since they literally have an entire storage facility that they call the "DNA Warehouse" where, I'd imagine, at least 95% of their original models / samples / and designs are stored...

It's just a lame excuse they have been using for what seems like forever to excuse this junk they've been releasing...

Here is a video where Tinker Hatfield actually talks about and strolls through the "DNA Warehouse"...

Let's not forget the "we want to respect collectors of OGs" excuse for not using Nike Air on retros that had them originally. It is total BS. I say put up or shut up. Give me original color ways how I remember them, shape, materials, and yes NIke Air on models that had them originally.

Improve or return to normal (with a higher price of course)? Huge difference. I'm pretty sure this site offers more than just Jordan talk but I might be wrong.......
Bro you seriously need to read the ENTIRE article. Your are sadly confused and mis-informed. You want to know why the materials and quality suffered and can't return to normal? It's because manufacturing process aren't the same as they were in the 80s and early 90s. Why is that? It's because they aren't using extreme labor conditions such as child labor. It's all pretty much either said or implied in the article. JB is a business and businesses incorporate processes that either succeed or fail. 

Honestly...I'd prefer them to keep their "better quality"...I'd much prefer not having to jump through hoops of fire to get Jordans than to have "better quality"

Let's not forget the "we want to respect collectors of OGs" excuse for not using Nike Air on retros that had them originally. It is total BS. I say put up or shut up. Give me original color ways how I remember them, shape, materials, and yes NIke Air on models that had them originally.

Truth...

I couldn't agree more...

I can't say that I currently know, or have ever known an OG collector that's said they like the current quality because it preserves their OG collections...It's just lame excuses as to why they have been continually releasing ever lower quality product...

Well the plan is already in execution judging from those samples that are pictured. They are spending millions on new plants, molds, and manufacturing techniques. We will see how well they execute their executive plan
Perhaps they will execute efficiently. Im doubtful because its easy getting a sample & Limited releases like Bins right, but Vs. Getting a entire slew of General releases up to OG par, doesnt seem promising. Mainly because they been mostly sliding on quality ,and upping prices since'06 , and still selling out. J.B. is greedy , and its about time they give the consumer quality on each and every drop, but as to if they will , who knows. I cant be blaimed for doubting them stepping up. Im saying,they have 'Declined' in the past decade quality wise, and coincidently so has my Purchases of their products..

Last edited:

V's of that year were pretty poor too. Grapes and Fire Reds to be exact...

Bro you seriously need to read the ENTIRE article. Your are sadly confused and mis-informed. You want to know why the materials and quality suffered and can't return to normal? It's because manufacturing process aren't the same as they were in the 80s and early 90s. Why is that? It's because they aren't using extreme labor conditions such as child labor. It's all pretty much either said or implied in the article. JB is a business and businesses incorporate processes that either succeed or fail. 

Hmmm..... So that's why they're charging 180 for shoes now and they still come out like crap?

Treating their employees better helped to create a worse product?

:lol:

Columbia IV's look awesome! I was dreading them releasing them because of the Tumbled Material used on the Laney V last year. It was horrible. The new pics, the leather is what they used on the 99 pair and it was butter. I beat those to the ground and will definitely be buying another two pairs.

As far as the regular IV goes, I want them to correct the Netting most of all. Whatever they are using now is garbage and makes the shoe look cheap. On the Columbia and Oreo IV, it didn't matter because of the leather used instead.

I would also like Nike Air to be back on the OG colorways at least. The thought of getting True Blue III's and Fire Red III's with Nike Air and Real Tumbled Leather is very exciting. Which also means that when the Maroon VI retros, it will be under this program and the Mixture of Tumbled and Smooth Leather on them will be awesome!

I have no problem with the 20 dollar increase. If OG II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX were always wearable they would go for insane amounts. If we can get close to it at a fraction of the price, Im all for it. People are paying above 200 for almost every III-XIII retro now. Why wouldn't JB raise the price. At least be are getting better materials and actually have proof of it now.

Im excited for this change, and hope Nike follows suit with future retros, seeing how the majority have been used with Vinyl like materials.

too much speculating going on, I just hate how people are calling BS even tho they had something to show for their claims and even the Oreo 4s that had leaked ahead of this looked miles ahead of what we've been getting. I'm sure prices will increase but there's no point in even trying to speculate by how much.

Last edited:
Hmmm..... So that's why they're charging 180 for shoes now and they still come out like crap?

:lol:

Not so much treating them better but paying them more...More pay to the employees means less spent on production...Nike has to keep that bottom line out of the red somehow...

laugh.gif
Dude you must be 12 or something! It wasn't necessarily treating them better that made the product inferior. It was the the manufacturing techniques as a whole. For example they probably had small kids cutting and plucking material from molds. Now it's probably adults that can't reach certain places or maybe its even automated machines. Either way the accuracy is off versus what it was before. Some of yall seriously don't know what it takes to manufacture shoes. Google is your friend.

Last edited:
If they are remastering 7s, I just hope they remaster them damn Bordeauxs. My heart was sooo heart when they ruined those

Reactions: ejb
I want OG shape on all retros. IV's, VII's, IX's and especially XI's are all way off. Even I can spot differences in X's, XII"s, and XIII's.

The 200 is the point. Not the 20 increase. With how hard it is to get them now, and they're going to produce less to up quality, it just gets to a point where you give up trying. I've hit my point many will not.

Now instead of cheap leather, every thread will be filled with this leather scuffs too easy. Screw Jb. We as consumers will never be satisfied.

I honestly think JB is hitting the law of diminishing return...meaning this is about as good as it will get due to demand, quantities, and manufacturing philosophy. 

They need to switch to the made-to-order philosophy like Apple, which is based upon pre-orders. Then just back fill the rest. That is a tried and proven manufacturing process that works. And nothing has higher demand that a new Apple product. The buzz and hype will still be there because of social media. Nothing would change except everybody that WANTS the shoe will eventually receive their pair.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom