Jordan getting rid of release dates in 2016

"Most sneakerheads don't even have the discretionary income to afford the habit."

This only applies maybe to the 13-24 age demographic, therefore this statement holds no water.

Sneakerheads are abound in this country and they range between age 10 all the way to age 50+. In fact, if you were to look at each of the major shoe companies' sales figures vs. demographics, I'm willing to bet that the largest chunk of their buyers is in the 25-45 age demographic. Which means solid income streams. It's not a matter of whether or not the sneakerheads can "afford." The BOTTOM LINE is PEOPLE CONTINUE TO BUY WHETHER OR NOT THEY CAN AFFORD IT and the sales figures support this. Nike and JB's goal, meanwhile, is to continue to increase their sales and their production volume. Proof of this is that every year, their profit margins continually increase.

And to support my argument even more:

Let's say we have your typical 21-year old college student who makes $13 per hour and pays little to no rent. It's February and he knows all kinds of J's are on the shelves (which means = OPTIONS). Yet he really wants the OG remastered Bred 4s and Military 4s that he knows will most likely release in 2016 but doesn't know the exact date. Rumors fly that it may be Black Friday or maybe September, but nothing is imminent.

This kid has about $400 budgeted for kicks that he has saved since Christmas, not to mention $50 each pay period that he puts away. Do you think he will wait til the Bred 4s release, which could come as late as December, when he hasn't copped a pair of J's for the last two months? Do you think he'd be itching to spend when he knows there are at least 5 different Air Jordan retros sitting on shelves (3 of which he likes and wouldn't mind owning since he has a couple of $20 off coupons), AND especially when he knows he'll have even more $$$ saved up by the time the Bred 4s or Military 4s drop because he gets consistent income from his job plus every once in a while he could probably sell a pair or two from his own personal collection?

There are more sneakerheads (young and old alike) that are most likely to cop a pair or two every month or every other month than there are those who hold on to their cash for more than 6-8 months waiting for a specific release. That's why they're called "sneakerheads." It's a hobby, and Nike fully capitalizes on these people's consumer behavior (i.e. emotions).
Is that YOUR life you just described? Because I don't know how TYPICAL that is. Quantify that.

Last edited:
Wtf? Most college students wouldn't buy a pair of shoes just because. They most likely have pairs they desire in mind and will wait until they release. Whoever said that is assuming others do so because they do so.

Are people really impulse buyers like that?

I remember skipping all the 7's up till the Bords dropped because I wanted Bords and nothing else.

Will they still have Release locators if they're getting rid of release dates?

regardless of what method JB uses to release shoes, there is no way its gonna stay a secret for long. even if they give stores the freedom to place them out as soon as they arrive and not tell them exactly when the shipment is coming, as soon as the first pairs hit the sales floor, the secret is out.

Is that YOUR life you just described? Because I don't know how TYPICAL that is. Quantify that.
No need to quantify when you can read thousands of comments from "sneakerheads" of all ages on these forums that go back 16 years since NikeTalk's inception. Goes something like this:

2 months before release date: "I'm not feeling these J's, I'd rather wait til the 11s come out in December."

1 week after release date: "I know I said I wouldn't cop these but I had that discount code and they looked good in person so I couldn't hold back."

Go read the thread on the 72-10 11's from Page 1 all the way to page 420 and tell me how many people initially said they weren't feelin' em but ended up coppin.'

Fact of the matter is, and pay close attention bruh...WHETHER OR NOT PEOPLE CAN AFFORD IT, THEY WILL COP REGARDLESS. And don't act like you didn't already know. I've been seeing this sh** since the early 90s back in high school. Ain't a damn thing changed except for the fact there are millions more Jordanheads now and Nike/Jordan is ten times wealthier.

And btw, what I described is the life/mindset of thousands and thousands of kids in this country when it comes to their purchasing habits. To claim it is not typical is completely ignorant. Go to a large market city and talk to a few shoe store managers and they'll tell you that it's the young ones age 27 and below who they constantly see week after week, month after month, coppin' at their stores. They're blowin' their money like there's no tomorrow and is one of the many reasons why this country continues to drown in credit card debt. But do you think Nike/Jordan care? lol

Last edited:
No need to quantify when you can read thousands of comments from "sneakerheads" of all ages on these forums that go back 16 years since NikeTalk's inception. Goes something like this:

2 months before release date: "I'm not feeling these J's, I'd rather wait til the 11s come out in December."
1 week after release date: "I know I said I wouldn't cop these but I had that discount code and they looked good in person so I couldn't hold back."

Go read the thread on the 72-10 11's from Page 1 all the way to page 420 and tell me how many people initially said they weren't feelin' em but ended up coppin.'

Fact of the matter is, and pay close attention bruh...WHETHER OR NOT PEOPLE CAN AFFORD IT, THEY WILL COP REGARDLESS. And don't act like you didn't already know. I've been seeing this sh** since the early 90s back in high school. Ain't a damn thing changed except for the fact there are millions more Jordanheads now and Nike/Jordan is ten times wealthier.

And btw, what I described is the life/mindset of thousands and thousands of kids in this country when it comes to their purchasing habits. To claim it is not typical is completely ignorant. Go to a large market city and talk to a few shoe store managers and they'll tell you that it's the young ones age 27 and below who they constantly see week after week, month after month, coppin' at their stores. They're blowin' their money like there's no tomorrow and is one of the many reasons why this country continues to drown in credit card debt. But do you think Nike/Jordan care? lol
I wanted the 72-10s but wanted to handle moms bills this month so I passed. I own a credit card and could have easily swiped two pairs on it but on a personal level that's a major low if I cop kicks on credit so I'll wait til I get cash on hand before I cop. **** being in debt over shoes

+L

This happens way too much on forums like this. But hell, even I'm not immune to it - I initially thought the 6 lows weren't good, but the look grew on me and I copped two pairs.

Most retros are sitting now and that's even with people knowing about them and being able to "prepare" for their release. If the releases become more spontaneous than all that does is make the shoes sit even more. The average consumer has either moved on to other shoes or simply buys a couple here or there because the current price is too much. If anything a lack of release dates will be a good thing. The only thing I struggle with is how will online retailers like Eastbay handle these types of releases? You just wake up one morning and the Jordan V black metallic is just sitting on the site?

im not buying into this no release date thing... with social media its tough for word of mouth to not spread imo

Agreed. Social media is the info highway. No release can hide from it. The only winner with this no RD is Nike. Manipulating the market to suit their needs.... to raise and/or lower quarterly projected figures.

Even in the old days you pretty much knew when the new Jordan's where dropping because of All-star weekend. And the only way I see this system working is if Nike plans on sending re-shipments. Back in the day if you couldn't get your shoes when they first drop you didn't trip because you knew you could walk into a store a few weeks later and they would still be there. I guess consumers just need to have there money on stand by

I figure Nike said they will just save more money by not advertising and just let everybody advertise for them through social media

Personally, not a fan of malls,& the only time I step foot in 1, is to raffle and/or grab what pair im after on the release day. So I absolutely despise this being the potential method .

On top of that , this forum will be looking like S.Collectors forum in between releases. Wont be nothing to talk about, except on the drop date..

Hopefully this aint real life.

Last edited:
I figure Nike said they will just save more money by not advertising and just let everybody advertise for them through social media
This been going though. The buy now ask questions later approach I don't get. If they don't want shoe anyways, they are not going to buy it. 

If this is what we have to expect them I'm good. This reminds me of the maroons when we thought they'd drop between the range of October-December. Not bad at all to be honest.View media item 1834445

they'll probably just wait for every store to get their shipments then announce that's when they'll release instead of waiting 2 weeks to a month to release

I don't like it. The thing with release dates is it helps me plan and budget based on the dates. Without that, it just creates a cluster **** for me.

If this is what we have to expect them I'm good. This reminds me of the maroons when we thought they'd drop between the range of October-December. Not bad at all to be honest.
Indiglo's 
eek.gif
 and damn that's a bigger window than I thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom