Jordan IV Black/Red Reimagined - February 17, 2024

these are going by the front door. I’m going to beat them like they owe me money.

Air Jordans from the 80s and 90s were never meant for durability. Thats the purpose of a yearly drop. They were meant for instant comfort out the box. We all as kids remember when we beat them till the outsoles had holes in em. Most of us back then who were interested at all were active in some way. So within a years time they were toast. They make the shoe more stiff nowadays for a durability purpose knowing these are not going to get the same traction they once did when we were kids.
OG were soft, durability compromised.
Retros are stiff, comfort compromised.
Almost impossible to get the best of both worlds in this situation. Quality of the originals are always going to be subjective depending on how you wore them. I had to make a shoe last a school year. So between outdoor basketball, football, recess, bike riding, and chasing girls around, my shoes didnt have a chance after a years worth of wear. But they were always comfortable as hell. But beat as hell at the same time. Were not doing these type of things in our retro versions.
I don't really subscribe to this. Durability wasn't compromised by the higher quality at all. In fact, I'd argue materials like the original durabuck hold up far better than new materials do. If you wore a retro into the ground for a year it'd look as bad or worse than that same OG version.

I'm more accepting that there's a limited supply of cows to get the best leather cuts for a large release today vs 30 years ago. I'm more accepting that there's zero performance aspect to these shoes now because they aren't for performance. And I'm also accepting that Nike's overall strategy since the 00's has been to use more synthetic materials, cut costs on materials across the board, and promote even more frequent purchases. None of that aligns with quality.

But I truly don't believe a retro worn the same way I wore a pair of OG's (after basketball season) for a whole year would yield any better results with durability/longevity.

Bruh go outside or somethin

IMG_2791.gif
Gentry has SPOKEN!! Thats just like you Gentry, always being Gentry. The Gentry of Gentriest! The Gentriest Gentry!!!

I don't really subscribe to this. Durability wasn't compromised by the higher quality at all. In fact, I'd argue materials like the original durabuck hold up far better than new materials do. If you wore a retro into the ground for a year it'd look as bad or worse than that same OG version.

I'm more accepting that there's a limited supply of cows to get the best leather cuts for a large release today vs 30 years ago. I'm more accepting that there's zero performance aspect to these shoes now because they aren't for performance. And I'm also accepting that Nike's overall strategy since the 00's has been to use more synthetic materials, cut costs on materials across the board, and promote even more frequent purchases. None of that aligns with quality.

But I truly don't believe a retro worn the same way I wore a pair of OG's (after basketball season) for a whole year would yield any better results with durability/longevity.
I think the guy you quoted was talking about the durability of the midsoles, after about 2004 the midsoles were stiffer and more uncomfortable but they last longer than the OGs.

OGs and early retros were more comfortable and the paint was "dyed" into the foam. Since around 2004 the paint has been sprayed in a layer over the foam, that's why it cracks so easy.

Newer (foam) midsoles also don't yellow as easy as the OGs because the paint is different.

I think the guy you quoted was talking about the durability of the midsoles, after about 2004 the midsoles were stiffer and more uncomfortable but they last longer than the OGs.

OGs and early retros were more comfortable and the paint was "dyed" into the foam. Since around 2004 the paint has been sprayed in a layer over the foam, that's why it cracks so easy.

Newer (foam) midsoles also don't yellow as easy as the OGs because the paint is different.
Right I know all of that, but I’m not sure the issue was durability with those of foam midsoles. Longevity? Absolutely. The foam breaks down with time. But when the first retros dropped (the first time many under the age of 40 could get them) I don’t think anyone realized the longevity issue.

My 99 4’s and black metallic 5’s (00? 01?) both looked great for the first 7-8 years. Then the oxidation took over and they crumbled with the quickness. For regular wear I don’t think they fell apart on me at all.

I’d rather get a softer foam that only lasts a decade knowing they’re gonna retro a proper shoe every 7-8 years too. It’s not like these hard midsoles don’t crumble too after time

Garbage release. Release OG's or ****, none of this "almost" crap. It's not interesting, it's not better, it's just stupid. These shoes don't need "reimagined" by some dumbass who couldn't hold a candle to the actual creator.

I'm saving a ton of money lately.
I believe jordan has a 50 year outlook. Each retro will slowly get us to the original version then Boom for 50 year anniversary they release the identical OG version. Our grand children will get the best version of the Jordan 4s in year 2040

I believe jordan has a 50 year outlook. Each retro will slowly get us to the original version then Boom for 50 year anniversary they release the identical OG version. Our grand children will get the best version of the Jordan 4s in year 2040
if thats the case, then I'll be out the game in 2 years lmao

I won’t be able to bend down to to tie my shoes by then. I guess I should be thankful I was there in real time for all the the originals.

Back
Top Bottom