jordan VI black/red nubuck to leather conversion

Originally Posted by freezyfreeky

i noticed in a few random pics from different sources that the back panel on all of them seems to be made of a different material than the rest of the upper. was it all durabuck or was the back panel made of something else or possibly treated with something?
The rear 1/4 of the originals was actually a dull, semi-shiny leather vs. Durabuck.  They may have gotten shinier with age, but they were a bit shiny to begin with.  It was one of the things I really loved about the originals, as it gave an even more solid look to the shoe.  None of the retro VI have followed the originals on this, which is quite disappointing.

Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep

i dont remember the OG"S having that shiny back

but i also dont remember what i did last week

so
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Anomaly

i noticed in a few random pics from different sources that the back panel on all of them seems to be made of a different material than the rest of the upper. was it all durabuck or was the back panel made of something else or possibly treated with something?
The rear 1/4 of the originals was actually a dull, semi-shiny leather vs. Durabuck.  They may have gotten shinier with age, but they were a bit shiny to begin with.  It was one of the things I really loved about the originals, as it gave an even more solid look to the shoe.  None of the retro VI have followed the originals on this, which is quite disappointing.

i appreciate you clarifying this for me and the rest of us who weren't fortunate enough to own a pair of og infrareds.
from the pics i've seen, the ankle bubbles always looked like the same material as the rest of the upper so i assumed the rear quarter had been treated, sanded or pressed differently with the exception of the bubble. i wasn't sure if the whole rear quarter was one piece or if the bubble section was actually a separate panel back then.

they did make a halfhearted attempt on the 00's but it's not nearly as pronounced. upon close examination you can definitely notice the bubbles match the majority of the upper while the rear quarter is smoother. furthermore you can see that the bubble is in fact one with the rear quarter and not a separate piece despite the stitching around it, which lead me to believe the majority of the rear was just treated differently with the bubble being left alone.

i appreciate you clarifying this for me and the rest of us who weren't fortunate enough to own a pair of og infrareds.
from the pics i've seen, the ankle bubbles always looked like the same material as the rest of the upper so i assumed the rear quarter had been treated, sanded or pressed differently with the exception of the bubble. i wasn't sure if the whole rear quarter was one piece or if the bubble section was actually a separate panel back then.

they did make a halfhearted attempt on the 00's but it's not nearly as pronounced. upon close examination you can definitely notice the bubbles match the majority of the upper while the rear quarter is smoother. furthermore you can see that the bubble is in fact one with the rear quarter and not a separate piece despite the stitching around it, which lead me to believe the majority of the rear was just treated differently with the bubble being left alone.

i have no qualms with modifying shoes. i've done it, and am currently working on a pair of motorsport vi, but i wouldn't have done this one. i like the v.reds as they are, and i had the ogs back in the day.

I *REALLY* like the idea of inserting 3m. i miss that heaps.

haha, i just remembered how i used to insert a reebok pump bladder into my og b/infra vi's in high school. the inner booty made it fit gorgeously.

i have no qualms with modifying shoes. i've done it, and am currently working on a pair of motorsport vi, but i wouldn't have done this one. i like the v.reds as they are, and i had the ogs back in the day.

I *REALLY* like the idea of inserting 3m. i miss that heaps.

haha, i just remembered how i used to insert a reebok pump bladder into my og b/infra vi's in high school. the inner booty made it fit gorgeously.

I don't think these look that bad at all. Definitely not as good as the originals, but not bad for something someone attempted themselves (not factory). The reason it looks messed up is because now the ashy looking Nubuck used on the rest of the shoe REALLY looks like crap/out of place by comparison. I think it's a good start, and has potential, but I don't know what else you could do to make the rest of the leather look right.

What exactly was the procedure for this conversion?
just applied black shoe polish to the back panel. turned out shinier than i would have liked, but i'm still working on it to give it a duller finish.

I don't think these look that bad at all. Definitely not as good as the originals, but not bad for something someone attempted themselves (not factory). The reason it looks messed up is because now the ashy looking Nubuck used on the rest of the shoe REALLY looks like crap/out of place by comparison. I think it's a good start, and has potential, but I don't know what else you could do to make the rest of the leather look right.

just applied black shoe polish to the back panel. turned out shinier than i would have liked, but i'm still working on it to give it a duller finish.

I think they look dope.

People always worried about how they're gonna look in the streets, I think that's ridiculous.

Most people these days don't see too many pics of the originals, and I'm sure many were unaware of the back material until this post. It might look unusual to them, but I'm definitely feelin' that look, one step closer to the actual VI and you won't see anyone else rockin' those.

I think they look dope.

People always worried about how they're gonna look in the streets, I think that's ridiculous.

Most people these days don't see too many pics of the originals, and I'm sure many were unaware of the back material until this post. It might look unusual to them, but I'm definitely feelin' that look, one step closer to the actual VI and you won't see anyone else rockin' those.

Originally Posted by Twinsnyc

Looks like a pair of fakes, no need to ruin a perfectly good pair, but its your money so whatever.

They looked like that before he touched them. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Twinsnyc

Looks like a pair of fakes, no need to ruin a perfectly good pair, but its your money so whatever.

They looked like that before he touched them. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Also I found that you can buy 3m reflective tape and put em on the inside of the shoe so you can have that "OG Look" ...Now I'm a huge huge huge fan of the OG Infrared and I just wish JB brought em out like how they originally were but that aint gonna happen. So I give this guy lots of credit to modify his shoe to make it look better to his standard. - clap clap

heres pic of the tape and you can buy em online at amazon for cheap

someone plz try dis n see how it looks.....if it works well them put instructions so i kno wat to do. i never modified my shoes before so i aint mesin em up.. PLZ SDUMONE DO THIS

Also I found that you can buy 3m reflective tape and put em on the inside of the shoe so you can have that "OG Look" ...Now I'm a huge huge huge fan of the OG Infrared and I just wish JB brought em out like how they originally were but that aint gonna happen. So I give this guy lots of credit to modify his shoe to make it look better to his standard. - clap clap

someone plz try dis n see how it looks.....if it works well them put instructions so i kno wat to do. i never modified my shoes before so i aint mesin em up.. PLZ SDUMONE DO THIS

Originally Posted by thebeast23

instructions? really, it aint rocket science.
1- buy reflective tape
2- find where it is missing (clue: inside the holes)
3- apply tape to that area both outside the inner booty and by making a small incision in the inner sides.
4- mend any incision and you're done

i reckon this would be easier than the pain of applying paints

Originally Posted by thebeast23

instructions? really, it aint rocket science.
1- buy reflective tape
2- find where it is missing (clue: inside the holes)
3- apply tape to that area both outside the inner booty and by making a small incision in the inner sides.
4- mend any incision and you're done

i reckon this would be easier than the pain of applying paints

Originally Posted by DeuCes213

I think they look dope.

I had mentioned on the '91 vs. '00 vs. '10 thread that while I see people complain about the quality of retros all the time, I've never seen anyone point out the differences in the rear 1/4 of the originals vs. the retros, which was one of the nicest touches to me.  It's what's throwing off the retros most to me.  I was so used to seeing that, that it's hard for me to think of the shoe as good looking without it there.  This also goes to show how familiar most NTers are today with the originals (especially if they were pre-Space Jams), which also probably explains why a lot of NTers don't see "the big deal" with quality complaints.

I'm going off what a brochure, or whatever it was I read, said back in '91.  At that time, I clearly remember it stating that there were two types of "leather" (technically, Durabuck is not leather; it's synthetic) used on the AJ VI.  Either way, I loved how it looked.

Originally Posted by vyacon

I just looked at the pics of the 2nd attempt, and in the outdoor shot, it looks MUCH better than the 1st attempt.  Much closer to the originals.  Keep at it!

Originally Posted by DeuCes213

I think they look dope.

I had mentioned on the '91 vs. '00 vs. '10 thread that while I see people complain about the quality of retros all the time, I've never seen anyone point out the differences in the rear 1/4 of the originals vs. the retros, which was one of the nicest touches to me.  It's what's throwing off the retros most to me.  I was so used to seeing that, that it's hard for me to think of the shoe as good looking without it there.  This also goes to show how familiar most NTers are today with the originals (especially if they were pre-Space Jams), which also probably explains why a lot of NTers don't see "the big deal" with quality complaints.

I'm going off what a brochure, or whatever it was I read, said back in '91.  At that time, I clearly remember it stating that there were two types of "leather" (technically, Durabuck is not leather; it's synthetic) used on the AJ VI.  Either way, I loved how it looked.

Originally Posted by vyacon

I just looked at the pics of the 2nd attempt, and in the outdoor shot, it looks MUCH better than the 1st attempt.  Much closer to the originals.  Keep at it!

Back
Top Bottom