Jordan XX3 ID mentioned by Tinker?

Originally Posted by Method Man

To be candid, I think this is part of the problem: people within some of these companies seem to think that we've reached some sort of postmodernist stage with sneakers. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's not that sneakers have reached the limit of what they're able to accomplish, it's simply that the industry as a whole has stagnated and become complacent. I think the retro craze, and I'll readily concede that we have an awful lot to do with that, has been complicit in this stagnation, if not catalytic.

We have so much hope for the team line - but at the end of the day the team line, however ambitious, is always shoehorned into low end tech, inferior material quality, and forced design cues from old Jordans - which shows zero faith in either the designers or the consumers. I don't envy the designers. As an artist, I'd tend to think the last thing you'd want to do is be told to produce a takedown Jordan XI year after year and slap on the gimmicky outsole pattern from the newest "game shoe," which no one of significance even plays in, to make it "current." If all they have left is retro, then at least let me build the retro I want on ID - because I have zero faith in the taste of anyone who'd produce some of the shoes pictured in this thread. ID didn't kill the Dunk, Nike killed the Dunk. ID didn't kill the AF1, Nike killed the AF1. ID won't kill retro Jordans, either. They've been assiduously bleeding them dry just fine on their own.

I'm glad to hear that the XX3 has a unique fit and a couple of new production techniques... but honestly I wonder how well that will translate to the real world. Often times sneaker fans get so into this stuff they lap up the pamphlet fodder and subsequently imagine some sort of psychosomatic benefit that simply doesn't translate to the average person. You'll listen to some people write about sneakers here or in print, and they'll pen some dripping love letter to a designer and pretend that they can REALLY feel the performance benefit of the reinforced eyelets, inspired by the welding on a German hang glider... it's ridiculous. When I was maybe 3 years old I distinctly remember feeling as though Zips sneakers would make me run faster, wondering why I couldn't catch the older kids. It was on that day I stopped believing the hype. You read about what people think makes the XX3 special, it's not a tab on the tongue, it's the metallic paint on the midsole or the stitching. Come on. Last year, the big innovation was color changing plastic. COLOR CHANGING PLASTIC. It didn't even make it into the final product. I don't recall anyone marketing hypercolor t-shirts as performance wear.

I'll readily admit that I'm cynical, but I can't imagine that you could hand a pair of XX3s to a player who knows only that they're Air Jordans and nothing else, let them play a couple games, and that person would then say "WOW!! That's incredible. Something about the fit of these shoes just blows away what I used to use. They must've improved the contour of the lining and added a second lacing tab! I'll never go back to a pair of shoes with just ONE lacing tab again, that's for sure!" This is the hope we're clinging to? A lacing tab? It's a $185 sneaker released in 2008.

Perhaps the best industry-related post I've ever read while on NT... because it has been my sentiment for years as well.

First off, just to beat a dead horse with the ID thing one last time, I don't care at this point about ID'ing retros. Retros have been butchered beyondsaving with certain models. It's no question JB has used their retro releases to appeal to urban fashion ONLY, and these outlandish color schemes areshining examples of how they've managed to turn yesteryears' performance Jordans into a blatantly corny attempt to connect with their target market.Not to mention the downright laughable names we're giving these shoes now (OO'wee? B'Tru?)...

But we're talking about the XX3. As an aspiring footwear designer myself, my worst nightmare is waking up and realizing the defacing of the Brand hasleaked all the way into the CURRENT MODEL of 2008, not just retros, by way of ID. That is like punching yourself in the face. JB would be saying to the public,"we put the most talented designers in the world to the test for 2 years to create the XX3, but this year, you get to slap whatever colors you want on itno matter how ugly or how much it defaces our beloved product because we just don't care anymore." What a disgrace that would be. Again, the colorwaysthese designers choose, ESPECIALLY for the XX3, should be special.

The point about the extra lacing tab, you're right. It's pointless in the grand scheme of things. I haven't slipped my foot into a XX3 yet (thankyou JB for your new definition of the word "limited"), but what we can be hopeful about is that Tinker is trying to change the way the shoe isshaped....for the better. And more than a lace strap, a person wearing them for the first time will notice the so-called track spike fit before anything else.That shows me there is some innovative thinking left, at least.

Which brings me to one last point. If the sneaker design world was like the economy, we are in the midst of the Great Depression... x 100. There are a millionpossible reasons for this but the only one I want to mention is that Nike sits atop the basketball kingdom with no competition. In the 90s it used to be a moreeven playing field with adidas/reebok/nike. Nike at this point can release recycled garbage over and over and make exponentially more profit. No one istouching them. Adidas decided that competing with the swoosh meant coming up with retro-inspired bull as well. What we got was the TS line. Oh that'snice...styling from the 70s. What happened to the TMac 1 and 2, or the Kobe from 2000? Reebok has been dead for 9 years now, I'm surprised they're notout of business...they don't even use a cushioning technology anymore.

So Nike and JB can keep doing what they're doing, and go corrupt in the process in the areas of creativity and quality. The questions now are will the everchange.....and/or who will uprise them.

but if the XX3 were even ID's, you would HARDLY ever see them, because of the price tag it might have. $350-$400.
and for the people who are going to buy them, they would probably take time to produce a colorway that would actually make some sense.
I mean, i wouldn't want to pay 400 for 23's that i made that looked like fakes.

^^^ I don't know, retail is $185 so with ID the XX3s will ideally be $210-230, which are about the same as the titaniums. Granted, with taxes and shipping(which will be mandatory) they will still likely be the most expensive Js to date, but I think the response will be overwhelming for JB. Make the MJ, Argyleand DNA stitching an option as well as JB-centric graphics (the jumpman, MJ's thumbprint, UNC, G'Town...JB school patches) to "personalize"your own XX3s on top of some mandatory colors (cool grey, flint grey, university blue, college blue, cherrywood, plum for example) and they'll be auber-hit, guaranteed.

If the XX3s are as revolutionary as JB claims, including that innovative manufacturing process, which surely represented a significant investment, the way theyare going about releasing sub-par GR colorways almost makes you think they don't even want to recoup that investment and potentially make mucho $$$. ByID'ing the XX3s, they will have created an outlet for all that "innovation" and effectively translate that unique process to quantifiablebottomline figures, address a geniune need from the consumers who missed out on the mess-up of a release that was the titaniums (not to mention those who spentquite a few dollars on fakes they now are trying to get rid of on eBay) and put all that innovation to good use.

In terms of channel, I wouldn't expect (and I'm not sure I want) to get my XX3s at a store "in a few easy steps"; this is not 30 minutephotos, this is something I will play serious hoops in so I WANT JB to take their time to get MY shoes done right, provided I expect them to be of the higestquality in my entire collection. That "aniticipation" factor alone will be worth it for many so I see no need for JB to incur a substantial fixedcost to set up stores or even attempt to "commercialize" them the way they had initially envisioned.

And the same goes for other models; if I can purchase whatever Jordan model I wish in whatever color combination I wish at any time I wish, I probably willwear nothing BUT Js. Penetration and utilization for EXISTING customer base will probably be enough to keep JB going for a LONG time and what's evenbetter is that all this comes at little or no additional marketing dollar at all!!!!! This concept must be a marketing exec's wet dream but JB is shuntingaway from it!!!

I wouldn't even worry about "those shoes will look like fakes" especially in the case with the XX3s because to date, no fakes I've seen havebeen able to replicate the metallic, almost automotive look of the midsoles on the XX3s and by making the shoes as high quality as possible, JB willeffectively differentiate the authentic products even more from the fakes (the fact that a HUGE drop in manufacturing quality - perceived or real, is probablyone the reasons fakes are so prevalent anyways, but that's the topic of another discussion).

So I totally agree with Meth, not going to the ID route is bordering idiotic on JB's part.

laser 5s are Fing beasty i'd own a pair if i had the bread to break off. Spizikes has a good idea but i really dont give a ishnit about spike lee so icould really really do with out the 40acres logo. xx3 id? hmmm that'll be the day

im WITH the id idea. but at the sametime its true, it would help the "fake" market in some way.

Me my self i don't care about the id aspect. About the crazy color schemes, i think JB realizes that about 80% of Jordan buyers will never let the shoestouch a b-ball court. So why not make fashion statement shoes?

Even if Jordan ID became available, which I highly doubt, Im sure they would only provide wack color placement and off-colorway options.
Kinda like the Nike ID options we have now.
The idea that we could create lost OG colorways is ridiculous and would NEVER happen.
JB would never give us that opportunity.
Sorry for crushing any dreams.

The Idea of you getting to order a custom pair of Xx's and having them made within hours at niketown is a nice idea...but it doesnt sound like your shoeswould last long or be durable, would niketown employees make them? thats scary

Hi, this is my first time posting here but I can't help but to have an opinion on a topic like this.

First off, I would really like to know why people are so upset about the ability to ID retros? Are they worried it would drive down the value of shoes thatthey own? Did you not buy that shoe to own and wear or are you trying to get that rare OG colorway that ultimately becomes one of the "most covetedcolorways" of all time and make a quick buck off of people who genuinely appreciate the shoe? If you like the idea of producing your own colorway THATNOBODY BUT YOU HAS TO WEAR, does that mean that you somehow aren't a "true" sneaker-head? Whatis everyone's big deal about an individual making a shoe that they like? They won't be asking you to wear them and honestly, I hate to revert to oldsayings, but if you don't like the way something looks, turn your head.

Is it just me or does the fact that some people seem to want to control what colorways come out and/or if IDs should or shouldn't be made seem kind offascist? Not really trying to disrespect you but, for example, if someone wants to two-tone, lower, and slap 20 " rims on an Enzo, well, he paid for it,so let the man "do him". I don't think it makes you a bad person, or even less of a sneaker-head, if you like colorways that no one else likes,it just means that you like stuff that other people don't like.

On a closing note, everyone who said they'd retire from jordans if they make ID retros, I really gotta say that either a) you're lying or b) itwon't matter. That's all.

this whole thread is the truth. i think JB will have sig models available for ID at some point and I like the idea.

A few people getting into this debate.

I hope they let us ID Jordans sometime soon.

1) I want more AUTHENTIC jordans around

2) I want some black/green colorways

3) Let the consumer buy what they like, not what you force feed us

Originally Posted by Preach54

Hi, this is my first time posting here but I can't help but to have an opinion on a topic like this.

First off, I would really like to know why people are so upset about the ability to ID retros? Are they worried it would drive down the value of shoes that they own? Did you not buy that shoe to own and wear or are you trying to get that rare OG colorway that ultimately becomes one of the "most coveted colorways" of all time and make a quick buck off of people who genuinely appreciate the shoe? If you like the idea of producing your own colorway THAT NOBODY BUT YOU HAS TO WEAR, does that mean that you somehow aren't a "true" sneaker-head? What is everyone's big deal about an individual making a shoe that they like? They won't be asking you to wear them and honestly, I hate to revert to old sayings, but if you don't like the way something looks, turn your head.

Is it just me or does the fact that some people seem to want to control what colorways come out and/or if IDs should or shouldn't be made seem kind of fascist? Not really trying to disrespect you but, for example, if someone wants to two-tone, lower, and slap 20 " rims on an Enzo, well, he paid for it, so let the man "do him". I don't think it makes you a bad person, or even less of a sneaker-head, if you like colorways that no one else likes, it just means that you like stuff that other people don't like.

On a closing note, everyone who said they'd retire from jordans if they make ID retros, I really gotta say that either a) you're lying or b) it won't matter. That's all.

Best 1st post ever...

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

Originally Posted by Preach54

First off, I would really like to know why people are so upset about the ability to ID retros? Are they worried it would drive down the value of shoes that they own? Did you not buy that shoe to own and wear or are you trying to get that rare OG colorway that ultimately becomes one of the "most coveted colorways" of all time and make a quick buck off of people who genuinely appreciate the shoe? If you like the idea of producing your own colorway THAT NOBODY BUT YOU HAS TO WEAR, does that mean that you somehow aren't a "true" sneaker-head? What is everyone's big deal about an individual making a shoe that they like? They won't be asking you to wear them and honestly, I hate to revert to old sayings, but if you don't like the way something looks, turn your head.

Is it just me or does the fact that some people seem to want to control what colorways come out and/or if IDs should or shouldn't be made seem kind of fascist? Not really trying to disrespect you but, for example, if someone wants to two-tone, lower, and slap 20 " rims on an Enzo, well, he paid for it, so let the man "do him". I don't think it makes you a bad person, or even less of a sneaker-head, if you like colorways that no one else likes, it just means that you like stuff that other people don't like.

On a closing note, everyone who said they'd retire from jordans if they make ID retros, I really gotta say that either a) you're lying or b) it won't matter. That's all.

Best 1st post ever...

Great post. Sad that your line of thinking is in the minority 'round here.

If the 23's were to be ID'd and retailed at about 200-220, I would do 4 pairs minimum.

This is the best read I have had in my short time here at NT. JB, like any other big company, is all about money. If they start letting people ID signatureshoes, they will make more money. Honestly, I bet that they would only lose 1-2 customers for every 10 they gained..

I would buy every signature shoe they put on there (over time that is) in the colors I want. If I was at the top of the JB company, I would ABSOUTELY idsignature shoes. What do they have to lose? A few cutomers?

Meth - I like the color changing plastic, and hypercolor reference....right on point. Good reads.

I agree with tree4twenty, JB will gain more customers than they lose. I have a few pairs of Jordans that are my all time favorite and have some value but Imnot worried about their value going down because of ID, all it means is that I could have more of my favorites and even wear them without having to worry aboutever having that certain pair again.

Back
Top Bottom