Jordan XX3 ID mentioned by Tinker?

Hey all

I dont know if this was mentioned yet, but I was reading my Sole collector magazine from may/june 07 (issue 18) and there was a article about a Q & Asession with Tinker Hatfield at a Nike store in Eugene, OR and they quote him saying how the XX3 may have an iD-able, made-to-order program. He also says howparts of the XX3 will be on hand at niketown stores and people can pick the parts and place an order. Then the shoe will be assembled in the back of the storeand be ready for pick up in a few hours. I can't find the article online or anything as its an old issue, but I hope this is true and we can have more of aselection for the XX3 colorway. Does anyone have more info on this, or if the idea was scratched?

Originally Posted by nbloomaz

Hey all

I dont know if this was mentioned yet, but I was reading my Sole collector magazine from may/june 07 (issue 18) and there was a article about a Q & A session with Tinker Hatfield at a Nike store in Eugene, OR and they quote him saying how the XX3 may have an iD-able, made-to-order program. He also says how parts of the XX3 will be on hand at niketown stores and people can pick the parts and place an order. Then the shoe will be assembled in the back of the store and be ready for pick up in a few hours. I can't find the article online or anything as its an old issue, but I hope this is true and we can have more of a selection for the XX3 colorway. Does anyone have more info on this, or if the idea was scratched?

theres your first problem

laugh.gif

I'd love to see it happen, but given the brand's position on ID in years past I get the sense that they're too paralyzed in fear of fakes to doanything so innovative.

It's beyond ridiculous. They're terrified of people confusing fakes and authentics - so they cede a huge share of the market to counterfeiters who willprovide people with the products Jordan brand won't. (PEs, etc.) Then, they reduce build and material quality and produce color schemes so hideous that nopossible combination achieved through Nike ID could rival their gaudiness. Tell me retro + shoes in 2008 don't look JUST like "factory variants"in 2001. (e.g. fake shadow Xs with the 23 on the side)

So, they've already been blurring the line between fake and authentic for years - and yet they're so terrified of allowing people to produce their ownAUTHENTIC colorways that they abandon that whole segment of the market to fakes. If you want a unique colorway, unique in 2008 being a color scheme that'sunderstated and doesn't clash, you have no authentic option. Go figure.

Of course, since the nearest Niketown to Washington, D.C. is New York (thanks a lot, Levtran) I'd be out of luck regardless.

Weren't there subtle hints about "customization" being dropped in the earlier xx3 threads?

its a great idea but the price would be jacked up about $100 dollars or more for something that big. just look at how NikeID did the Air Force 1's lastyear.....$250

Originally Posted by Method Man

I'd love to see it happen, but given the brand's position on ID in years past I get the sense that they're too paralyzed in fear of fakes to do anything so innovative.

It's beyond ridiculous. They're terrified of people confusing fakes and authentics - so they cede a huge share of the market to counterfeiters who will provide people with the products Jordan brand won't. (PEs, etc.) Then, they reduce build and material quality and produce color schemes so hideous that no possible combination achieved through Nike ID could rival their gaudiness. Tell me retro + shoes in 2008 don't look JUST like "factory variants" in 2001. (e.g. fake shadow Xs with the 23 on the side)

So, they've already been blurring the line between fake and authentic for years - and yet they're so terrified of allowing people to produce their own AUTHENTIC colorways that they abandon that whole segment of the market to fakes. If you want a unique colorway, unique in 2008 being a color scheme that's understated and doesn't clash, you have no authentic option. Go figure.

Of course, since the nearest Niketown to Washington, D.C. is New York (thanks a lot, Levtran) I'd be out of luck regardless.

what could i possibly say that meth didn't? dude is 100% on point. i have said for years that JB doesn't give a damn about the heads.

NOT A BAD IDEA AT ALL. LOVE THE WAT THIS SOUNDS TO HAVE EVERYTHING IN STORE TO VIEW AND READY IN A FEW HOURS WOULD DEFINITELY BE
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE RETROS BEING ID'S LIKE SOME PEOPLE ON NIKETALK WERE TALKING ABOUT.

I get the sense that they're too paralyzed in fear of fakes to do anything so innovative.
I just don't get why they don't start throwing out ads trying to educate people about fakes. then kids would know they are out there andwouldn't wear them in fear of being called out by their friends who saw the commercial and has the real deal...

It seems like they don't care about fakes to me ????

Tell me retro + shoes in 2008 don't look JUST like "factory variants" in 2001. (e.g. fake shadow Xs with the 23 on the side)

MJ's own PE had the 45 on the side. I like the retro +. Wont ever wear shadow 10s to begin with, but I respect the idea.

Originally Posted by NY GIANTS 11

Tell me retro + shoes in 2008 don't look JUST like "factory variants" in 2001. (e.g. fake shadow Xs with the 23 on the side)
MJ's own PE had the 45 on the side. I like the retro +. Wont ever wear shadow 10s to begin with, but I respect the idea.

So then why not put the 45 on the side...23 concept is ok I guess but not when it doesnt make sense...

It seems like they don't care about fakes to me ????
What, you didn't see their "say no to fakes" t-shirt? It was part of the same collection as their "dead serious"knockoff.

His Chicago X's had 45 on the side, I think most Jordan fans are well aware of that. Putting 45/23 on the side of EVERY Jordan X, regardlessof color scheme, is something counterfeiters ran with starting in around 2001 or so. That "retro +" looks almost exactly like one of the fakes fromthat era.

If you were to take most of the current L'style retro+ stuff - or even the regular retro stuff - back in time to 2001, everyone would consider them fakes. The retros are unfaithful and shoddy in build/material quality compared to the originals or even the 99/00 retros, and the retro + stuff..... well, 'nuffsaid, right? The point is, they made it more difficult to distinguish fake from authentic and continue to blur that line with tasteless fare like theSpiz'ikes. Yet they're scared to death that ID will cross that line - like the average person who buys fakes keeps up with the 2,000 products jordanbrand releases each year faithfully enough to know that "hey, that color was never officially produced! Ergo, these shoes that I'm buying out of theback of a Dodge Caravan MIGHT be fake!" Yeah, good thinking crew. Jordan ID would just be pandemonium. Fakes would be out of control THEN....
86c25fd6d4a5bb03f492626a6ce86156aca0b3d.gif

I was torn for years about whether I thought Jordan ID was a good idea or not.

It's not. If you're Tinker, or any other designer for that matter, and you give the public free reign to deface your deisgn with mustardyellow/orange/red-green color schemes, you're not happy. Customizable selections of components for a shoe could be an okay idea if done correctly. But thecolorway of a shoe can make or break it. The colorway is how we identify the shoes, and I think Jordan Brand has released far too many hideous schemes in thelast eight years. ID would give the public a chance to devalue Jordans, if they haven't already done so themselves, and blur the line even further betweenauthentic and counterfeit.

Originally Posted by SkyLarkster

I was torn for years about whether I thought Jordan ID was a good idea or not.

It's not. If you're Tinker, or any other designer for that matter, and you give the public free reign to deface your deisgn with mustard yellow/orange/red-green color schemes, you're not happy. Customizable selections of components for a shoe could be an okay idea if done correctly. But the colorway of a shoe can make or break it. The colorway is how we identify the shoes, and I think Jordan Brand has released far too many hideous schemes in the last eight years. ID would give the public a chance to devalue Jordans, if they haven't already done so themselves, and blur the line even further between authentic and counterfeit.
Jordan Brand themselves have devalued their own products beyond belief. These are all within a period of months. Incredible...

aj8_w_lo_cin_pink.jpg

aj8_nvy_org.jpg

aj8_lo_blk_pink.jpg

aj8_w_ice_sil_org.jpg

I once stood on the side of id's devaluing Jordans, at a time when everything was carefully put together. But now? Seeing what JB produces, how can thepublic do any worse? If you can maintain some sort of desire for these designs after what JB has done with them, how can ID be negative?

^^^^^Im in total agreement. Those colors are hideous. Why JB would care if their real shoe looks fake when they produce such s****Y colorways is beyond me.They need to take a chance and do something really crazy to shake things up. I think putting the XXIII on nikeid is a great idea and would shake things up morethan they have already. I've always wanted to see what an air jordan would look like under my own creative direction and the XXIII is the place to start. Ipersonally dont think the cw people would design would really be that bad. I know there would be some person who wants to use every color on the shoe availablebut most people would not. I cant understand why Tinker designed one cw. The man designed so many classic shoes I dont know why others were brought in to messthe cw of the XXIII up. I can see Mj himself lending a hand to decide on the cw of one shoe but thats where it ends for me. If Tinker was able to have finalsay on cw I know these shoes would be that much better. I mean the titaniums were awesome but so limited its just really unfair. The stealths are decent but Idont like the placement and use of the gold .To my knowledge, gold has never been used on a jordan sig. So if JB is going to let somone else other than thedesigner pick the colors, why not leave it to the people who actually buy the shoes?

That would be a horrible idea. The sig shoe should be deisgned on by a pro. Colors we wish they would make shouldn't be up to us (that way).

Originally Posted by 2396Bulls

^^^^^Im in total agreement. Those colors are hideous. Why JB would care if their real shoe looks fake when they produce such s****Y colorways is beyond me. They need to take a chance and do something really crazy to shake things up. I think putting the XXIII on nikeid is a great idea and would shake things up more than they have already. I've always wanted to see what an air jordan would look like under my own creative direction and the XXIII is the place to start. I personally dont think the cw people would design would really be that bad. I know there would be some person who wants to use every color on the shoe available but most people would not. I cant understand why Tinker designed one cw. The man designed so many classic shoes I dont know why others were brought in to mess the cw of the XXIII up. I can see Mj himself lending a hand to decide on the cw of one shoe but thats where it ends for me. If Tinker was able to have final say on cw I know these shoes would be that much better. I mean the titaniums were awesome but so limited its just really unfair. The stealths are decent but I dont like the placement and use of the gold .To my knowledge, gold has never been used on a jordan sig. So if JB is going to let somone else other than the designer pick the colors, why not leave it to the people who actually buy the shoes?

olympic 7's got gold....

and im FOR ID....i mean hell, only people gonna be cryin are collectors who got DS stashes.....
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom