Just Graduated & at a Crossroads........

Take some time off? hell no. You already messed up by not interning during your undergraduate studies to figure out what you want to do. Don't make the same mistake again by taking some time off "to figure things out." That's just stupid. You figure things out by actually interning and getting a real taste of what that career or profession offers.

Talk to alums.
Go to your career website, apply apply apply and the apply some more.
Network a lot (you have to because with a sub 3.0 gpa, you're not that marketable on paper)

Again, network and apply as much as you can. Just keep dropping resumes.

Originally Posted by scorpio04

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

even with a 2.95 gpa, you could overcome that with several internships during college. too bad.
This guy and his "internships". . .

laugh.gif
isn't he the same guy that lied about interning with Goldman Sachs or am I thinking of another NT'er?

Originally Posted by ATL Candy Man

2) Law school, sounds weird but one of dad's good friends is a lawyer and told me a/b being a patent attorney.  I didn't take it serious until I saw how many engineers end up going back to school anyway for JDs, MBAs, or a Master's degree.

I'd suggest getting your master's, even if it's in business.  I'd only suggest going to law school if you're really interested in being a lawyer and your dad's friend can guarantee you a job otherwise you'll probably be stuck in the same position you are now just with a law degree, which will ultimately take even more time to attain...

I didn't graduate with such a distinguished degree, but some of the things I have learned are:

1. You have to stick to your path. Others are going to come in and tell you to go this way or that way, but its going to be you that is stuck with the outcome. That includes family, friends, and etc.
2. Instead of looking at the jobs that are being offered to you as insulting, look at them as a stepping stone. I would rather have something than nothing. The person above who said it is easier to find a job with a job is speaking the truth.
3. I believe you can still get internships out of college...they just aren't called that.

In the end, its shows what type of person you are that you just don't siphon off your family and you help out. Focus your efforts on making some type of leeway into the industry. Network with your fellows ( I know there is a National Association of Black Engineers if you look it up). A below 3.0 GPA is not impossible to overcome, you just have to make it up in other places (Networking, Good Interview Skills, Maximizing your potential). I hope this helps, 100.

Originally Posted by scorpio04

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

even with a 2.95 gpa, you could overcome that with several internships during college. too bad.
This guy and his "internships". . .

laugh.gif
isn't he the same guy that lied about interning with Goldman Sachs or am I thinking of another NT'er?

2) Law school, sounds weird but one of dad's good friends is a lawyer and told me a/b being a patent attorney.  I didn't take it serious until I saw how many engineers end up going back to school anyway for JDs, MBAs, or a Master's degree.

I'd suggest getting your master's, even if it's in business.  I'd only suggest going to law school if you're really interested in being a lawyer and your dad's friend can guarantee you a job otherwise you'll probably be stuck in the same position you are now just with a law degree, which will ultimately take even more time to attain...

I didn't graduate with such a distinguished degree, but some of the things I have learned are:

1. You have to stick to your path. Others are going to come in and tell you to go this way or that way, but its going to be you that is stuck with the outcome. That includes family, friends, and etc.
2. Instead of looking at the jobs that are being offered to you as insulting, look at them as a stepping stone. I would rather have something than nothing. The person above who said it is easier to find a job with a job is speaking the truth.
3. I believe you can still get internships out of college...they just aren't called that.

In the end, its shows what type of person you are that you just don't siphon off your family and you help out. Focus your efforts on making some type of leeway into the industry. Network with your fellows ( I know there is a National Association of Black Engineers if you look it up). A below 3.0 GPA is not impossible to overcome, you just have to make it up in other places (Networking, Good Interview Skills, Maximizing your potential). I hope this helps, 100.

not to threadjack but im in a similar situation too. graduated in may with a double major in Accounting and Finance with a 3.2 gpa. only had 2 interviews so far but applied to alot of jobs. not looking so good right now. dont know what my next step should be. go back to school for my masters and sit for my cpa exam or just keep applying and hopefully get a job

not to threadjack but im in a similar situation too. graduated in may with a double major in Accounting and Finance with a 3.2 gpa. only had 2 interviews so far but applied to alot of jobs. not looking so good right now. dont know what my next step should be. go back to school for my masters and sit for my cpa exam or just keep applying and hopefully get a job

*double post*

If you people are cool with keep working at the golf course. The "real" world will always be there. take some time off, read, have fun, chill with your friends. Plenty of time for bills, insurance payments, mortgage/rent, etc.

*double post*

If you people are cool with keep working at the golf course. The "real" world will always be there. take some time off, read, have fun, chill with your friends. Plenty of time for bills, insurance payments, mortgage/rent, etc.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

How do you have two hard majors and yet didn't manage to land a job? And you're black too? You either didn't apply to anything or have a beyond abysmal GPA.

Yes I am black...I had a 2.95 overall GPA...I applied for a job with P&G but did not receive it.

For real, you should try to find something in your field, even if it's not paying too much. If you can't find something in your field, temp. You'll get a chance to try different things and experience different office/job environments.

Do that for a year and a half, then think about grad school. Going straight to grad school is good only (imo) if you know precisely what you want to do. Not "I have an idea what I want to do", but "I enjoy this and I know this is orecisely what i want to do"

Grad/professional school is gonna run you anywhere between 50k-150k. And you really don't want to waste years in school as a broke student if your not really sure what you want to do. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

How do you have two hard majors and yet didn't manage to land a job? And you're black too? You either didn't apply to anything or have a beyond abysmal GPA.

Yes I am black...I had a 2.95 overall GPA...I applied for a job with P&G but did not receive it.

For real, you should try to find something in your field, even if it's not paying too much. If you can't find something in your field, temp. You'll get a chance to try different things and experience different office/job environments.

Do that for a year and a half, then think about grad school. Going straight to grad school is good only (imo) if you know precisely what you want to do. Not "I have an idea what I want to do", but "I enjoy this and I know this is orecisely what i want to do"

Grad/professional school is gonna run you anywhere between 50k-150k. And you really don't want to waste years in school as a broke student if your not really sure what you want to do. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

Originally Posted by nomoplayinga

i thought a 3.0 gpa in engineering is great, or am i wrong?

It's decent... not spectacular. The majority of my class graduated with a lower GPA.

Originally Posted by nomoplayinga

i thought a 3.0 gpa in engineering is great, or am i wrong?

It's decent... not spectacular. The majority of my class graduated with a lower GPA.

Back
Top Bottom