KD X

570313A3-9571-451E-89E6-86286A7165D4.jpeg

What’s the story on this colorway?

It's been a while since I wrote an in-depth review here at NT, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the KD X after playing in them for 2 weeks now. As always, feedback and comments are welcomed!

Cushioning:
The air bag looks the same as the KD 9 but you can definitely feel a difference. While I enjoyed the bounce of the 9s, the 10s don't immediately feel that way when you step in them. The main difference being in the PSI for the bags - apparently the instability of the 9s were due to a higher volume in the air bags, and the 10s certainly feel more stable. I was one of many who experienced the bottoming out b.s. in one of the shoes of my 9s, so I'm glad to see the 10s kept that in mind when they constructed the zoom bags. Over time, probably after like 3 or 4 hooping sessions, was when I could feel the bounce again in the zoom. Before that, they were very stiff and I experienced some arch pain because of this. This is a shoe that definitely needs to have the cushioning broken in before you really feel the nice springy feeling upon hard0 landings and explosive take-offs. Give it some time and wears but you'll learn to love the zoom set-up.

Fit:
These really fit weird for me. I am a size 12 in almost every brand for hoops shoes (except Adidas, where I'll find myself getting 11.5s usually). Having said that, I went TTS and it feels like it's a tad long length-wise, but I tried on the 11.5 and the width wasn't right for me as the shoe felt narrow in some places. I always double sock when I play basketball so the length issue wasn't a huge deal for me - I could imagine those who want to rock casually could go half a size down and be fine. The lacing system really helped with the lock-down and overall fit. I wasn't a huge fan of the initial pictures that surfaced showing the unique lacing set-up, but I will say they work with the way the upper flyknit has grooves on the tongue area. I found myself warming up, having to re-lace to tighten and improve lock-down, and then I was good to go when I started actually playing. I wear orthotics because I have pancakes for feet in terms of arch, so having taken out the stock insole and putting in my orthos, I found that heel lock-down was not an issue, either (this was NOT the case for me with the 9s, where heel lock-down was terrible). Overall, I enjoyed the fit but the flyknit seemed to be too thick for my liking. I want a hoops shoe where the fly knit isn't reinforced with some type of plastic or interwoven with something to make it thicker. While I understand the rationale behind doing that to add protection and increase longevity of the shoe, I think true flyknit on a hoops shoe, when done correctly, can be awesome. **As an aside, I am very intrigued by the "battleknit" that is debuting on the LeBron 15s** Once you break in the shoe, the upper does become more pliable and feels like it is molding to your foot, but the reinforcement on the knit just doesn't do it for me.

Traction:
I did not have any issues with traction, as the pair I had featured the gum soles. I noticed as I wore the shoe more and more, the outsole became less rigid, but this is also kind of detrimental because I feel like the traction is wearing pretty quickly when compared to the KD 9s I had. Most people felt like the 10s were too similar in overall set-up and feel to the 9s, so that's why you will see me compare the 2 pairs often. I don't think the traction is bad, but I don't think it was an incredible step-up from the 9s, where I kind of wish they could have been...

I will say, it's pretty dope that you can get flyknit, full-length zoom, and a signature sneaker all for $150 retail - most people getting some pairs on sale. While I wish the 10s stood out from the 9s a little more, they did take a few key pain points and improve them. I doubt anyone will be experiencing the exploding/bottoming out bags like they did on the 9s. I'd definitely wait to cop on sale as these don't seem to be flying off the shelves (depending on CW, of course) but I definitely enjoy playing in my and they are in my daily hoops rotation for sure.

Nice find. Guess they aren't moving enough units to keep the discount restriction on those.

Need those yellow ones! FIRE! If Nike would've released the Yllw/Blk 9 Elite PE he wore, I would've doubled up on those.

Wish ID had a yellow option might need to make another pair if Nike ever drops the yellow option.

I meant that if Nike offers a yellow/university gold option for the entire upper, then I will consider getting another pair. Right now NikeID is only listing red, blue, black, or white for the knit upper.

ah yeah sorry misunderstood that. it shocks me there arent like 5 different shades of grey available since they love this shoe in grey lol

would have been smart for nike to have done a release during the ring ceremony. missed opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom