KENDRICK LAMAR: "GOOD KID M.A.A.D CITY"

Nah in Money Trees it's basically a recap of the first four songs imo. He's talking about what he already did previously
i feel you, but he said in the complex interview that Money Trees is specifically about how money was the motivation behind him and all of his homies' decisions so i know it's not really a recap because that really has nothing to do w/ Sherane and *****, Don't Kill My Vibe. The only time he even brings Sherane up is to say that when he did it he told his bros. So the fact that the song is based around him and his patnas' escapades makes it feel like a lighter version of The Art of Peer Pressure for me.

I know it is ironic...or wrong....or against the meaning...or whatever...but swimming pools is a great drinking song lol
At our halloween party i was drunk yelling at friends "why you babysitting only two or three shots I'ma show you how to turn it up a notch"

:smh: :smh: :smokin

Last edited:
i feel you, but he said in the complex interview that Money Trees is specifically about how money was the motivation behind him and all of his homies' decisions so i know it's not really a recap because that really has nothing to do w/ Sherane and *****, Don't Kill My Vibe. The only time he even brings Sherane up is to say that when he did it he told his bros. So the fact that the song is based around him and his patnas' escapades makes it feel like a lighter version of The Art of Peer Pressure for me.
money trees does quickly recap the story up to that point (f***ed sherane, parked the car then start rhymin', home invasion), but that's not the main point of the song...the reason he doesn't say anything about BDKMV is because that song is more of a flash forward where he's talking about the present and it's not really part of the story

the overall theme of money trees is that at this point in time, 17 year-old kendrick would put money over everything, even if it means he has to do immoral things such as stealing to get it...if he had to choose between being poor and stuck in the streets but living a moral life or being rich but stealing in order to get there, he'd choose the money...even tho money will never make him forget the pain of losing loved ones ('the one in front of the gun lives forever'), it still makes life more comfortable

money trees does quickly recap the story up to that point (f***ed sherane, parked the car then start rhymin', home invasion), but that's not the main point of the song...the reason he doesn't say anything about BDKMV is because that song is more of a flash forward where he's talking about the present and it's not really part of the story

the overall theme of money trees is that at this point in time, 17 year-old kendrick would put money over everything, even if it means he has to do immoral things such as stealing to get it...if he had to choose between being poor and stuck in the streets but living a moral life or being rich but stealing in order to get there, he'd choose the money...even tho money will never make him forget the pain of losing loved ones ('the one in front of the gun lives forever'), it still makes life more comfortable
yeah he recaps w/ a couple lines, but everything you're saying w/ the money and how he goes about getting it is heavily influenced by his friends and peer pressure. so just FOR ME,it paints the same picture as Art of Peer Pressure, but on the surface level. (it's pretty clear the lyrical content of Money Trees isn't as in depth or dark as Peer Pressure. even when he says "two bullets in my Uncle Tony head" it didn't feel dark/sad) Then w/ Jay Rock I just feel he brings a representation of K. Dot's patnas. With his full on dope boy/gang bangin ambitions and all. Like I said, it may be just me and that's fine, i get what y'all are saying. I just get that feel when Art of Peer Pressure plays followed by Money Trees. *shrugs*

Last edited:

This is correct. I glad you also pointed out what I believe some people are missing is the fact that BDKMV is present day Kendrick speaking.

This is correct. I glad you also pointed out what I believe some people are missing is the fact that BDKMV is present day Kendrick speaking.
idk. i think that's kinda obvious. it has nothing to do w/ the story at all and the "you can see that my city found me and put me on stages" makes its purpose kinda clear. it's funny that it's after Sherane though. Kind of like a pause in the story then we don't meet up w/ Current Kendrick until Compton.
...that's pretty :smokin now that i think about it.

yeah he recaps w/ a couple lines, but everything you're saying w/ the money and how he goes about getting it is heavily influenced by his friends and peer pressure. so just FOR ME,it paints the same picture as Art of Peer Pressure, but on the surface level. (it's pretty clear the lyrical content of Money Trees isn't as in depth or dark as Peer Pressure. even when he says "two bullets in my Uncle Tony head" it didn't feel dark/sad) Then w/ Jay Rock I just feel he brings a representation of K. Dot's patnas. With his full on dope boy/gang bangin ambitions and all. Like I said, it may be just me and that's fine, i get what y'all are saying. I just get that feel when Art of Peer Pressure plays followed by Money Trees. *shrugs*
i agree, if it weren't for peer pressure then maybe he wouldn't feel that way (money over everything)...there's a reason money trees comes right after art of peer pressure...all part of the story kendrick's telling...just sounded at first like you thought he was reiterating the same story in two songs, but i get what you were saying now

Does Kendrick shoot at Sherane's fam or one of his homeboys? Also, who is the brother that got hit by the stray? His brother or his homeboys?

Does Kendrick shoot at Sherane's fam or one of his homeboys? Also, who is the brother that got hit by the stray? His brother or his homeboys?
kendrick doesn't shoot, he's drunk in the car while one of his homies [dave's brother] shoots...dave is the one who got hit [not by a stray, but a retaliation shot] while his brother was shooting

kendrick doesn't shoot, he's drunk in the car while one of his homies [dave's brother] shoots...dave is the one who got hit [not by a stray, but a retaliation shot] while his brother was shooting
Thanks for clarifying that.

For yall that have been to his concerts how long are they approx? He's coming to KC on the 2nd and me and my bro might go but he has to work in the morning (he gettin old :lol:)

Oh, never got around to it since I've been zoning out to it, this album is AMAZING!

My version is 19 songs though :lol: :smokin

not sure if the girl dies.
the fade out could mean a lot of things. But it's possible.

I believe that she died consdering the fact she mentioned she didn't need to see the doctor and her health was fine despite her whoring and saying she would never "fade away".

idk. i think that's kinda obvious. it has nothing to do w/ the story at all and the "you can see that my city found me and put me on stages" makes its purpose kinda clear. it's funny that it's after Sherane though. Kind of like a pause in the story then we don't meet up w/ Current Kendrick until Compton.
...that's pretty :smokin now that i think about it.

It is dope indeed! Works well!

Back
Top Bottom