Kendrick Perkins- Let me get this straight... Vol: Ejection.

Originally Posted by got shoes

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

I can't believe all these softies that think the first tech was justified.
Boston is filled with softies.
Oh word. Every player on the Celtics down to Scalabrine would beat your %#@.

Just got this in an email

NBA ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF REVIEW OF ORLANDO-BOSTON GAME 5 OF EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

NEW YORK, May 27, 2010 - Following a review of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals between the Boston Celtics and the Orlando Magic, the NBA has announced the following:

*    Celtics center Kendrick Perkins' technical foul with 36.1 seconds
     remaining in the first half has been rescinded.

*    Celtics forward Paul Pierce's foul with 8:12 remaining in the fourth
     quarter has been upgraded to a Flagrant Foul 1.

He has to go the rest of the playoffs without getting a T. This should be interesting.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Same topic (questionable technicals), but diffeent Confeence Finals. Game 1 or 2 of the WCF, I'm still amazed at Grant Hill's technical. He's guarding Kobe, gets called for a foul, and... from what I can see... WALKS AWAY AND WAVES THE REF OFF. Like... that's all I saw. No talking. No staring/mean mugging.

Just... *referee whistle*
*Grant pauses w/ his hands on his hips*
*Grant walks away and waves his hand in the ref's direction out of protest*
*another whistle, for a T*

Y'all remember? Did I miss something else? Y'all remember who the refs were, or who that one was?

I also noticed this, and thought it was bogus. You get guys like the entire Celtic or Cavs team (no offense to them, but these are the ones that I notice the most), that whine and $%%!* after every call or non call, and get away with it, and compare that to Grant Hill, a class act on and off the court, making one small gesture, and gets called for it.

I mean, its not like he flipped the ref off. He just waved it away. Sure players are entitled to their opinion, and at times can express it in certain ways. I thought that was one way that he could still show he didn't agree without repercussions (walking away as well mind you).

Absolute garbage. Every game thus far in the playoffs has been horribly officiated; it might not be noticeable for one team, but its just inconstancy throughout the entire league. Its gotten to a very VERY frustrating point. Either let them all whine, and tech up the abusers like Sheed, or don't let a single thing slide. One of the two. Quit with this inconsistent crap.

PS - anybody else notice that as soon as Grant got that tech, he didnt play another minute till the next game?
glasses.gif

Of course.  They did not want Grant Hill to play in that game and made sure of it.  I'm sure they would have given him another T if Grant Hill thought about coming back into the game. 

Well, at least the C's got Perkins for Game 6, huge consdering the repsective status of Davis & Rasheed. Team is in bad place right now.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Same topic (questionable technicals), but diffeent Confeence Finals. Game 1 or 2 of the WCF, I'm still amazed at Grant Hill's technical. He's guarding Kobe, gets called for a foul, and... from what I can see... WALKS AWAY AND WAVES THE REF OFF. Like... that's all I saw. No talking. No staring/mean mugging.

Just... *referee whistle*
*Grant pauses w/ his hands on his hips*
*Grant walks away and waves his hand in the ref's direction out of protest*
*another whistle, for a T*

Y'all remember? Did I miss something else? Y'all remember who the refs were, or who that one was?
Yo, but see if you can find Grant Hill's postgame interview where they asked him about it. This dude said something like, " I'm the 4 time Sportsman Of The Year Award winner, 4 times, Joe Dumars award winner. I don't know what happened."
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by Buc Em

laugh.gif
Yep.

roll.gif
roll.gif
  We are talking basketball man, not UFC
laugh.gif

Anyway, the first tech was clearly warranted, its a physical game, and the Celtics are great at trying to get those little jabs and elbows in without the refs seeing it. The second one I could have lived without and Rondo's was absolutely going to get called. Dwights elbow to Baby was no where near intentional, he didnt even look down to see who was there. Even if it was intentional, Wallace and Davis are brought in to push, hack, elbow, foul, and trash talk Dwight and get him off his game so I dont care if Dwight returns the favor here and there, its a big mans world down there. 

Even Doc Rivers said he is worried how Davis will pass the tests to play as he is always delirious
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Just got this in an email

NBA ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF REVIEW OF ORLANDO-BOSTON GAME 5 OF EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

NEW YORK, May 27, 2010 - Following a review of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals between the Boston Celtics and the Orlando Magic, the NBA has announced the following:

*    Celtics center Kendrick Perkins' technical foul with 36.1 seconds
     remaining in the first half has been rescinded.

*    Celtics forward Paul Pierce's foul with 8:12 remaining in the fourth
     quarter has been upgraded to a Flagrant Foul 1.

was this his shove to reddick? if so, good call
happy.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by StrongMind3

the elbow wasn't an accident

he felt gortat behind him, LET GO of pierce's hand and shoved gortat

it wasn't that serious of an elbow but dont think it was just an accident...it was intentional

here it is at the 00:40 mark
Straight up laughable.

Watch this angle and you tell me that's intentional.

If you think that was intentional, you just don't get it.
laugh.gif

yea, guess i don't
ohwell.gif

but hey if you say so then it must be gospel

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

Perkins is a # # # # #. The second one was definitely warranted, he pulls that crap every time the whistle blows.
my thoughts as well....
when you %++#! about everything you get a "rep"

Derek Fisher pulls the same !#!@, all the time, be interested to see how many T's he has amassed thus far.

That T was definitely suspect, but at the same time I hate that "walking away showing so much emotion" crap that I see players doing all the time now.

Maybe if some of them tried playing with the same amount of emotion and passion that they display when reacting to the officials they might just end up being better basketball players...take Kendrick Perkins for example.

I am stunned as to how many people posted in here that think the elbow was on purpose. Absolutely baffles me how someone can objectively think that.

Ha!!!! The day that would really happen, i wait...............

Kendrick Perkins' delayed justice

By Henry Abbott

nba_g_perkinsk_576.jpg

Did the Celtics have to be without Kendrick Perkins for most of Game 5?

After the NBA rescinded one of his two technical fouls from Game 5, Kendrick Perkins will be in uniform but on thin ice for Friday night's Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals. His next technical will be his seventh of the playoffs, and will trigger an automatic suspension.

Three thoughts:

This decision is too slow
The Celtics lost Game 5 by 21 points. It was not close.

However, it was close when Perkins was playing. During his 16 minutes of first-half play, the Celtics were outscored by just a single bucket.  Perkins was ejected just before halftime, with the Celtics hanging around, down eight.

I'm not saying the Celtics would have won had Perkins played. I'm saying we shouldn't have to wonder.

My complaint, which I have made several times before, is that in this day and age there's simply no reason it should take a whole night and most of a day for the NBA to review a five-second play.

The NBA has rescinded Perkins' second technical, which means the very call that banished from the second half of the game last night was a mistake, for which the Celtics have already been punished mightily.

It just doesn't have to be that way. Video review, insight from the players and the referees about the things that might not have been obvious on video ... these things can be done in a during the game, even in a timeout. Whoever weighed in on this decision at the league offices in New York today, where were they last night? If they couldn't have been in Orlando, at the very least they could have been in front of an HD screen with a feed of multiple video angles, and a phone connected to the sideline to run questions by referees.

Certainly, the current system of reviewing calls the next day avoids certain sins of "the heat of the moment." But for those few calls that might be blown with instant reviews, would any of them matter as much as mistakenly ejecting a key player for half a conference finals game?

Referees are expected to make the right call instantly. In reviewing that work, the league need not be instant. But in the interest of fairness, and getting things right, they ought to at least be as quick as possible.

Kendrick Perkins matters
The story of these playoffs has been that the Boston Celtics.

At the end of the regular season, by every fancy metric I know (offensive and defensive efficiency, adjusted plus/minus lineup analysis etc.), the Orlando Magic and Cleveland Cavaliers were not just the favorites to win the East, but were also the two leading candidates to win the championship. They were destined to meet in the Eastern Conference finals, with the winner favored to knock of the West winner.

But the Celtics have systematically broken those two teams apart in eliminating the Cavaliers in six games and then going up 3-0 against the Magic (which has now, of course, become 3-2).

The only possible explanation is that the Celtics are a much better team than they appeared to be in the regular season.

The "Big 3" or "Big 4" -- with Rajon Rondo -- is seen as the story, but ignore that fifth starter, Kendrick Perkins, at your peril. He sets some of the meanest screens in the business, and controls the paint for one of the NBA's truly elite defenses.

According to ESPN's stats and information group, the Celtics are 8.3 points better per 48 minutes than the competition when he is on the floor in this year's playoffs. The Celtics are only 1.2 points better, per 48 minutes, when he sits.

Against the Magic, Perkins' role is even more profound than usual. The Magic's attack is built around Dwight Howard. To capitalize on his remarkable size and strength in the paint, the Magic have surrounded him with shooters, and they play "one in, four out." When Howard is doubled in the post, somewhere a shooter will be ready to make a 3. Except against Boston. Thanks to Perkins' extraordinary tenacity, size and defensive skill, the Celtics don't double Howard in the post much. The idea is that Howard would otherwise be able to score 40 to punish them for disrespecting him in this manner. But Perkins knows what he's doing, and Howard is instead averaging just 20 points per game in the series and has twice finished games having made just 3-of-10 shots.

So, make no mistake: Whether or not Perkins plays is paramount to the Celtics.

The particulars of the incident barely matter
Zach Lowe of CelticsHub does a great job of wading into the murky waters of figuring out whether or not Kendrick Perkins "deserved" his punishment. On Pro Sports Talk, Matt Moore, meanwhile, makes the annoying-to-Celtics-fans but nevertheless honest point that it was certainly within Perkins' power to avoid those technicals, simply by being calm and professional, as called for in the rules.

Perkins is undeniably one of the most physical players in the NBA, and the Celtics are the most aggressive team in the NBA. His playoff technicals are the predictable result of having played nearly all of his 401 minutes this close to starting a fight. If it wasn't this incident, it was going to be something else.

To me, what was actually said or done on the court, and how it compares to other cases, barely matters. The truth is that the behavior of players is all over the place, while the power of the referees to punish them for this or that thing is unquestionable and absolute. It invites an absurd situation. Perkins did something for which one can rightly, by the letter of the law, get a technical or even two. He also did something that is wholly routine for an NBA game.

When the speed limit is 55, and every single car goes 75, what's the one guy who gets pulled over supposed to think? Is that justice, or an almost random reminder who's in charge?

The problem is not so much this or that action by this or that player or referee. It's the ever-present ability of referees to selectively enforce whatever they want, like a sheriff in a frontier town, with the bosses unable to even weigh in until a day later.

Surely it would be better for the powers that be to impose a little more real-time order, and not just on the players but on how the game is called.

This will be interesting to see if Perk can keep his emotions in check for the rest of this series and potentially the Finals. He is ALWAYS complaining after every call and if he gets T'd up again, he could be suspended for one of the most important games of the entire year. I wonder if it'll take away from his aggressiveness or will he stay with the "demon face" he always has.

Oh and I absolutely HATE the stupid double technical that seems to be prevalent in this NBA; officials should be competent enough to tell who started a situation and award that person a technical, but seeing as they can't even get the most basic of calls right, I shouldn't be surprised. Perkins has 5 double Ts in the playoffs which is why he's in this peculiar situation in the 1st place.

Ha!!!! The day that would really happen, i wait...............
Man I didn't know Kimbo was on here. Niketalk really is for everyone.

You guys have to understand that Perkins' has something to say about EVERY call against him.

I'm sure the refs get TIRED of that. He whines, complains, and that was the last straw.

The Celtics know that, Kendrick knows that.

I definitely think the elbow was intentional. Come with the "*looks @ sig*" responses, like I'm supposed to hate the Celtics and go against everything they try to do. I don't hate 'em. But I do think that was intentional. He knew Gortat was behind him, straight up. First off, Gortat circled around from being Perkins' left side to being behind him; you KNOW when someone who was at your side is now behind you. Second, he was close enough to be elbowed; I mean, that's just stone cold fact. So he starts out beside Kendrick and ends up behind him so close that if Kendrick's elbow slipped, there would be contact... and Perkins just so happened to accidentaly slip?
laugh.gif
In the playoffs, against one of the guys he was doing battle against at the moment, in the paint?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom