Knee Injury Thread

Hey NT,

I was playing volleyball and went up for a hit, came down, and heard two pops in my knee.
I was able to walk a couple minutes after but there is one angle where my leg just gives way and I drop to the floor. It's swollen still after a day.

Just wanted to hear people's experiences with knee injuries, what to expect, how to go about the rehabilitation process, how long will it keep me off the courts?

First knee injury too, felt like rubio with how a bad angle of the leg can just eff things up.

Go to a doctor, sounds like chances are if your knee is giving out and you are dropping to the floor you have some torn ligaments and it will require surgery. Depending on what is damaged and assuming you need surgery you are looking at anywhere from 6-12 months of rehab.

son, if you heard a couple pops, something tore, go to the doc ASAP

yeah went to the doctor,
I have a torn ACL and Meniscus.
mad.gif
tired.gif
frown.gif

Anyone else had this injury?
Supposedly I can swim and cycle.
I won't be able to get surgery for a month, I go to school out in Providence but I'm from LA.

And I hear of a 6 month rehab plan..
not going to be an enjoyable 6 months.
Will my knee ever the be the same in terms of sports and such?

You were able to walk a couple minutes later? Wow...

I tore mine and I definitely wasnt able to walk at all till a couple days later...Worst pain ever. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted by cruzair13

yeah went to the doctor,
I have a torn ACL and Meniscus.
mad.gif
tired.gif
frown.gif

Anyone else had this injury?
Supposedly I can swim and cycle.
I won't be able to get surgery for a month, I go to school out in Providence but I'm from LA.

And I hear of a 6 month rehab plan..
not going to be an enjoyable 6 months.
Will my knee ever the be the same in terms of sports and such?

I had the same injury back in 2001 in high school playing baseball  You cant get surgery yet until the swelling goes down. At least you found out about the injury right after. When i tore mine, i thought i just had a sprain knee. I iced  itfor a few days, swelling went down and i was right back playing again. Baseball season and started playing spring football. During 7 on 7 drills, i caught a pass and got tackle, i hurt that kneee again.So coach told me to sit out all spring and when  fall gets here i should be ready. i was icing my knee all summer and playing baseball. Football season begins and coach sees that i am not running right. So my mom took me to doctor and thats when i found out, i had a torn ACL. my life wasnt the same

I tore my ACL...Twice. Like you, I was able to walk after I tore mine.

The rehab sucks and it takes awhile before you can fully run again. I rehabbed for 6 months each time and it took me that long to start to run again. Last July, I think i retore it after jumping down a flight of stairs (worst move ever).

The best thing to do during rehab is to cycle a lot and try to run and walk in the pool. It really really helped me. Also, make sure you do a lot of leg extensions and curls. You're going to need to work out your hamstrings and quadriceps HEAVY!

As for being the same again...You'll never really be 100%, but you can get very close to it. It all depends on how hard you rehab. I'm assuming you're not a professional athlete or an NCAA professional prospect, so it shouldn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom