Knicks hire D'Antoni....

laugh.gif
@ GR8 with the dissertation coming to us shortly

Huge Knicks fan not to happy about this move though. We needed a young defensive minded coach who can take his time and rebuild the team.

I will be interested to hear what D'Antoni has to say when I attend the press conference.

Ummmmm, uptempo offense doesn't win in the playoffs.....I guess the Knicks still don't care about bringing a Chip to NY any time soon. Making theplayoffs in 2 years...and losing in the first round is what every Knick fan wants!
Defense wins championships....not offense!
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Ummmmm, uptempo offense doesn't win in the playoffs.....I guess the Knicks still don't care about bringing a Chip to NY any time soon. Making theplayoffs in 2 years...and losing in the first round is what every Knick fan wants!
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Just got home from a long day and I find out knicks hire d'antoni

oh well lets see how things work out.

Francis

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

I don't understand the allure of New York
indifferent.gif

havent won 30 games in 5 years or so
and you sir, have no idea what you're talkin about.

Oops, how could I forget about the great 33-win NYK's of 06-07. According to Isiah, the best 33 win team in NBA history.

I wish i can make a thread about how much i hate you.

Originally Posted by Fear23

Ummmmm, uptempo offense doesn't win in the playoffs.....I guess the Knicks still don't care about bringing a Chip to NY any time soon. Making the playoffs in 2 years...and losing in the first round is what every Knick fan wants!
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
Damn... crawl before you walk. You guys are still in in the sack right now.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

indifferent.gif

Oops, how could I forget about the great 33-win NYK's of 06-07. According to Isiah, the best 33 win team in NBA history.

laugh.gif

you guys hate on Dantoni so damn much it's not even funny.. When he was with the Suns all he wanted to do was win.. Of course they didn't do that, buthe's different from other coaches.. He's a great guy and the Knicks got a great coach. People look back and say he's the reason why we nevermanaged to get a ring but it's really because our players couldn't do it. It's not his fault JJ got hurt, it's not his fault Amare was out ayear, it's not his fault Amare/Diaw stepped on the court, it's not his fault Donaghy reffed game 3, it's not his fault the Suns couldn't beatthe Spurs..and i'm not trying to make excuses cuz I know we should have won a ring by now, but our players just couldn't do it.

There were times when I questioned things he did, but in the end, if we wouldn't have never had him, Suns (Nash, Amare, Marion) wouldn't be as great asthey are. As for us, I hope we get another great coach like D'Antoni was. No coach in the NBA is as close to his players like D'Antoni was andthat's what it's about. Why do you think so many players wanna come to Phoenix to play?

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dang bro, it really sucks to see him gone.. I never thought about it so much as I am now. I really never watched many games when we had Frank Johnson andScott Skiles.. D'Antoni changed my life (sad as it sounds). Ever since that 04-05 season, I became hooked to the Suns. Thanks Coach MD!!! Good luck inNew York man!

It sucks to be a Suns fan to know we couldn't achieve under Dantoni, and we never will no more.
frown.gif
I will never forget him getting worked up over therefs for no reason
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Fear23

Ummmmm, uptempo offense doesn't win in the playoffs.....I guess the Knicks still don't care about bringing a Chip to NY any time soon. Making the playoffs in 2 years...and losing in the first round is what every Knick fan wants!
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Showtime Lakers??? They had defense, but c'mon now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jdiddy931

you guys hate on Dantoni so damn much it's not even funny.. When he was with the Suns all he wanted to do was win.. Of course they didn't do that, but he's different from other coaches.. He's a great guy and the Knicks got a great coach. People look back and say he's the reason why we never managed to get a ring but it's really because our players couldn't do it. It's not his fault JJ got hurt, it's not his fault Amare was out a year, it's not his fault Amare/Diaw stepped on the court, it's not his fault Donaghy reffed game 3, it's not his fault the Suns couldn't beat the Spurs..and i'm not trying to make excuses cuz I know we should have won a ring by now, but our players just couldn't do it.

There were times when I questioned things he did, but in the end, if we wouldn't have never had him, Suns (Nash, Amare, Marion) wouldn't be as great as they are. As for us, I hope we get another great coach like D'Antoni was. No coach in the NBA is as close to his players like D'Antoni was and that's what it's about. Why do you think so many players wanna come to Phoenix to play?

I think he would've wanted to play defense, its just that he didn't have the players to do so. Phoenix was built to run and gun. Besides Bell andMarion, I can't think of anyone else who could play D.

Although he was the coach, and some if not all the blame will go to him, but sometimes you need to sit back and see the whole picture. He is a great coach,and he gets everything out of his players.

Curry will have to condition himself if he wants to play in D'Antoni's system. He needs to run and move down the floor. The Knicks have plenty ofplayers who are capable of running, and performing well in his system.

Originally Posted by rapsa

now its time to waived marbury whiner

The Knicks won't waive him, they will let his contract run out by the end of next season. Or if he does play well, maybe we can trade him for picks orw.e. But i don't see that happening, so i could live with him playing next season out.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Good hire.
laugh.gif

That's what you guys said when yall aquired Z-Bo.

Bet money by the end of next season I'll be seeing Fire D'Antoni in NYK fans sig

Still not sure how I feel about this hiring.

In my opinion, for all of this, they might as well had gone with Mark Jackson.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Still not sure how I feel about this hiring.

In my opinion, for all of this, they might as well had gone with Mark Jackson.

That's my take as well. I don't think Mike D'Antoni is gonna bomb like a lot of people are thinking but one thing I AM worried about is himstart winning 45-50+ and consistently make the playoffs but have nothing but 1st-round or 2nd-round exits for the next 4 years. You can only count so much onthe darft picks just like you can count only so much on the FA market and just making the playoffs will consistent net you draft picks in the 15-25 range andthat's not gonna be enough if you want a star.

On top of that, you still need really good defense to win a 'chip and one thing D'Antoni does not do is defense so I really don't see him being along-term solution in that regard but for right now, I'll settle for a more entertaining game while we wait for the contract to come off the books anddevelop the young players but hopefully not at the price of not getting high enough draft picks and the potential to draft impact players.

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Originally Posted by franchise3

Good hire.
laugh.gif

That's what you guys said when yall aquired Z-Bo.

Bet money by the end of next season I'll be seeing Fire D'Antoni in NYK fans sig

franchise 3 is not even a knicks fan
grin.gif

95% of knick fans didn't want D'Antoni in the first place
indifferent.gif

[h1]FACE IT: WALSH BLEW THIS CALL[/h1]

[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/05112008/photos/sports099a.jpg[/img]

BAD CHOICE: Knicks president Donnie Walsh (above) chose Mike D'Antoni as his replacement for failed coach Isiah Thomas, but Peter Vecsey says the former Suns coach is the wrong man for the job and Walsh should have gone with former Knicks point guard Mark Jackson.

petervecsey.jpg

May 11, 2008 -- "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we createdthem."

- Albert Einstein

AFTER spending the last 24 hours alone at home with his head coaching thoughts, KnicksNew York Knicks
t.gif
president Donnie Walsh choose Mike D'Antoni over Mark Jackson. I'm stunned and baffled by thedecision.

"Not only are the Knicks known to shoot themselves in the foot, they often crouch down to get a better aim," zaps column contributor BrianMcGunigle.

Reached in Cleveland where he was working Game 3 of the Celtics-Cavaliers series as an ABC commentator, Jackson was disappointed, yet remained upbeat,falling back on his devout beliefs.

"In the Bible, God says, 'I will not withhold any good things from those who serve me,' " he said. "Therefore, following thatequation, if I don't get something I want, something I think will be really great, then it isn't good for me. That's the way I view it. He'slooking out for me. He knows what's best."

No disrespect to D'Antoni's success in Phoenix, basketball expertise, communication skills and outgoing personality, but he's clearly not thelid for this pot of incompatible, undisciplined, slow-footed players.

Eddy Curry's cardiologist already has organized a protest stroll.

If not Jackson, who Walsh told me was definitely his backup choice had D'Antoni preferred to coach the Bulls, Cesar Milan would've made perfectsense. More than anything, the Knicks need a strong pack leader. By all accounts emanating from Phoenix, D'Antoni made very few demands, thus consequenceswere almost nonexistent when details were ignored and defense wasn't employed.

Walsh is well aware of D'Antoni's inability to extract so much as a consistently pedestrian defensive effort from Amare Stoudemire. That discreditsboth the player and the coach. Walsh brushes off such criticism. He has always held D'Antoni in high esteem.

Obviously, Walsh is convinced D'Antoni is capable of becoming more of a disciplinarian and will radically alter (eliminate altogether?) hisrun-'n-stun style to match the Knicks' currently unmovable misfits.

That's good, because D'Antoni's system is predicated on putting the ball in the care of Steve Nash. Let's get real. I know Nash is an easymark defensively, but the two-time NBA MVP was D'Antoni's system in Phoenix (abetted by Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and a host of lethal 3-point snipers),same as Tim Duncan has been the Spurs' system for 11 seasons.

Last time I had the stomach to sneak a peek, the Knicks' makers of plays (mostly for themselves) comprised of the surgically-rehabilitating Stephon MarburyStephon Marbury
t.gif
, Jamal Crawford and Nate RobinsonNate Robinson
t.gif

It's well documented how D'Antoni felt about Marbury after coaching him briefly in 2003-04; the Suns were better off without him. The Knicks arestill hung over from Marbury's intoxicating acquisition. How ironic that one of the prime wheelers behind that deal (Jerry and Bryan Colangelo coordinatedthe swindle) that helped sabotage the Knicks is reunited with Marbury (next season, anyway) for the franchise's next attempted reconstruction.

When it became obvious Jackson was a legit candidate to fill the Knicks' coaching cavity, sources say Marbury reached out to him and pledged allegianceto his unraised flag. Determined to resurrect his career and upgrade his reputation, Marbury promised to do whatever was asked and vowed to show up in camp ingreat physical and mental shape.

Still, in the opinion of every league person I regularly consult in such situations - excepting Walsh, the only mind that matters - Jackson was the idealfresh voice to reach Marbury, Curry, Zach Randolph, Crawford, Quentin Richardson (another D'Antoni reject), Jerome James and Jared Jeffries.

Who would've had a better chance to get Knicks players to quit their low-down ways for the next year or two until cap restrictions subside? The pointgod whose motivating message was well received by the vast majority of teammates during his 17-year playing career? Or the coach who had it made in the shadebecause of Nash and the Suns are excited is gone?

Like Barack Obama, Jackson would've been a more effective choice for change because of his inexperience.

Could the Suns be the logical next step for Jackson? D'Antoni's exodus frees up $8.5 million over the next two seasons to invest in a replacement.Sources maintain Jackson very much appeals to owner Robert Sarver, president of basketball operations/GM Steve Kerr and trusted veterans whose opinions bothmen seek out in such situations.

The Bulls also remain an option. A couple of weeks ago, Jackson enjoyed a positive interview with GM John Paxson and personnel director Jay Hillock.

Finally, column contributor George Caballero reports Dolan, "as part of D'Antoni's pact, has agreed to buy him out once he realizes whathe's gotten himself into."

makin the playoffs is nothin im sure he'll do that tons with the knicks..hell the hawks made the playoffs in the east with 30 somethin wins

iight im a little late on the matter but ive been out so here are my thoughts exactly

as most of yall Knicks fans know on S&T I hate this move.

I think this is absolutely ******ed because no matter who coaches us there is no way that anybody in the world could win with this team. I feel like we arejust throwing a veteran coach for a HUGE contract (3rd highest in the L) to coach a team that is pretty uncoachable. That is a waste of $ an it wont work outbecause he dont fitt in with this team, and we could have gotten a coach for a lot les money to coach this team because we wont win anyway.

I just dont see the point in throwing millions of dllars at a coach when really it makes no difference because we wont win anyway. In that case i would haverather gotten the Native NYer Mark Jackson to come and coach this team, and have him build as a coach as our team rebuilds. D'Antoni makes no sense withthis roster and it is exactly like when we got Larry Brown. I mean cant we learn? Getting a great coach seemed like a great idea but this roster is full ofbums and as a veteran D'Antoni will be more stubborn towards our young players and it will hurt our chemisty. Mark Jackson would have onnected with theyoung guys and would have developed with them, and although we still wouldnt be good we would be young and exciting and on the right track. And D'Antonidont play no D and i CAN NOT watch a team that just lets people score on them at will any longer, i just can not it made me miserable watching us play D thispast year. So for obvious reasons i feel this was just a stupid move, and i dont think D'Antoni is really passionate about the job, dude just is in for the$ Jackson or Herb would have come cheaaper and Mark loves NY and his passion would be 100% with the team, and us Knicks fans while we can obviously questionHerb's ability as a coach, nobody can question his loyalty to the team, and he could have been a very good cheap get for a team that will be young but notgood for at least 2 more years, because you know he would keep chemistry high and he would be dedicated and loyal.

On the other hand as i think allen has been trying to say i trust Walsh and i will give him credit for this move. The difference between this move and when wegot Larry Brown is that Walsh is not a !@!%@#! idiot. Walsh unlike Isiah knows that he cannot just throw a coach in there with a team and like magic we wouldwin. Isiah honestly felt that with Brown and Larry Brown had none of his kind of players and we all know the end result.Walsh unlike Isiah will make moves thatD'Antoni can work with. He wont keep bums like Curry because he obviously knows that thatfat piece of !%@@ could nnever play under D'Antoni. I giveWa;sh credit because by making this move he has basically said that he wants the Knicks under our new look to get into the new look of basketball and run.Isiah wanted that too, but he never made moves to do so. Walsh is a very smart guy and will make alot of key moves this offseason that D'Antoni can workwth. If he does that than this move is not stupid. So like allen has said on numerous accounts, i trus Walsh and he didnt bring D'Antoni into a system hecannnot work with, he wanted to be a running team and he got the best coach for that job. He is not an idiot and will get the players to make it happen,because the players we get is far more important than the coach. So will not completely hate on this move. there are obviously certain aspects that i do notlike, but walsh knew who e wanted and he went for it and this means that he will get the players to make it work, that is his job, and it is something thatIsiah never could do.

Z Bo and Curry will be out, Steph BETTER stay for his contract year if we want any chance of a big tome FA in 2010. There will be alot of other players movedbut what i kind of like about this move iss thatour core of players the players that people like the most in NYC and wont mind staying on the team can beexcellent under a Mike D'Antoni system. i think this system would most benefit Jamal Crawford, Jamal is very shot happy and he will get his shots and nicelooks if we can get a Derrick Rose PG to give him his looks, he is also athletic and can run. Jamal is a good player, say what you want but he is indeedtalented. He is not what Isiah and some make him out to be. I admit i thought he could be an all-star and he is that good but in reality we were so bad we madehim look better than he really is and it fooled me as well. Keeping Jamal around will be an excellent chemistry booster for a young team because he is ourunquestioned team leader and he has a great winning attitude. Like i said i dont see him as one of our pieces to build around, but in a Mike D'Antonisystem Jamal could be an EXCELLENT sixth man, as he will bring alot of scoring and a nice shot off the bench, i see him as a good 15-16 pg off the bench and anice shooter for the fast break set. This play benefits David Lee as well who could run with teams and also help out on defense. He has a great all around gameand i think he can definitley work well with a fas break team. Also Nate and wilson Chandler should stick around both are young an energetic and superb athlees(especially Nate) Nate could be an excellent spark plug off the bench on a D'Antoni team and i wont really give wilson a role becaus e at times he lookedlike he could be a starter but once again he got his minutes late in last year so its hard to tell, but he should stick around.

Once again i dont want yalls thinking im a hypocrit because just last week i was saying how stupid this would be. Because is till feel this is a dumb move, buti am also saying it will have some positives. Walsh will make moves that D'Antoni can work with, and he will make sure that we will have a fun to watch uptempo team next year. We wont necessarily be good next year at least but you can bet that this moves assures that Curry and Z Bo willl be out which i think isthe best thing about it. I still dont necessarily like this moves but Walsh wants a running team, and he got his man, now he will make the moves to support it.

Back
Top Bottom