Kobe Bryant = PLAYER OF THE CENTURY???

He was an ELITE NBA all time talent, at 20-21-22 winning titles

That's all well and good champ, but Kobe wasn't even THE most elite player on his team at the time. He wasn't number 1, he was number 2, Kobe played the back seat, he wasn't the driver at that time. He was just happy to be along for the ride.

It's fine if you 2 want to say Shaq was the main reason, he probably was, but to then argue like Kobe was some lesser player is pointless, stupid, and flat out idiotic of you two narrowminded weaklings and me coming thru here every day is POINTLESS

You coming thru here evey day defending Kobe countlessly is POINTESS, so I and others definitely agree with you on that note. Also, for you to even imply or suggest that Shaq was PROBABLY the main reason is laughable and just goes to show that you will do any and everything to try and make Kobe seem bigger than what he was when paired with Shaq. At the end of the day for a guy that is/suppose to be player of the century when Kobe was with Shaq, Kobe earned 0 MVP tropies and 0 Finals MVP trophies. Like I said earlier, when Shaq gets his number retired by the Lakers, it should be Kobe that introduces him and personally thanks Shaq for helping him get more than currently half of the championships he has. Kobe lovers can try to rewrite history all they want to but I and others are here to set the record straight. Now if you don't like that [COLOR=#red]CP1708,[/COLOR] find yourself a new message board to post on.

Last edited:
Something interesting I saw on another thread, kind of dispels the whole Kobe being "Robin" in at least 1 of his first 3 championships.

Offensively you can argue that but big men have the ability to make the game so much easier for everybody else in a way Kobe could never do. Shaq made things so much easier for everybody else because he required two guys to man him at all times. Plus, defensively theircontributions aren't even comparable. When Shaq actually tried on defense come playoff time, he held down the paint and made it impossible for imposing teams to really get into the paint.

Kobe played insane during 2001 especially considering he was 23 years old but he still wasn't doing what making the difference Shaq was.

Hell you see me in here every day Deuce? I came in cuz I heard the spur troll was speakin my name, I came for that.

And I honestly don't give a **** what you think, or what YOU think the facts of the matter are/were. You cryin and whinin about what THIS thread is about is your deal. Shaq got the accolades, that's fine, he also started his career in 92 and was done by 2005. So for THIS thread, this point, player of century after 12 years, I'm pretty sure you go with the guy that's been All NBA 11 of those 12 years or whatever it is. Not the guy that was done 5 years in.

If Shaq was just gettin warmed up in 2000, and died out in 2010, ok then, he can have the honor of player of the century. He didn't.

Your point is fine about 0 MVP's and all that, but with no Kobe, Shaq gets a 0 next to his name too. Something you COMPLETELY gloss over, every, single, time..... :lol:

You know it, I know it, we all know it. I'm TIRED of saying it again and again just so you can say more stupid ****. Go talk about Vinateri some more or something, save the basketball drama for November. :smh: :lol:

Your point is fine about 0 MVP's and all that

Now your starting to see the light champ, I knew you would wake up and come to your senses in due time. Your alright when you want to be.

but with no Kobe, Shaq gets a 0 next to his name too. Something you COMPLETELY gloss over, every, single, time

I dont' agree with this statement because it's nothing more than an assumption on your end and we can't rewind time to try to disprove it either way. What we do know is this though, when paired with Shaq, Kobe played the role of Robin, sidekick, co-pilot, subsitute teacher, or replacement ref. Doesn't matter which name or title you pick, Kobe simply was NOT #1 during that timeframe. Now that's not Kobe's fault really, but it is what it is.

Kobe not being #1 on the Lakers is irrelevant when he would have been #1 on every other team in the NBA outside 2 maybe 3. The Lakers are just that smart. We're better than everybody else, and always have been. :smokin

And it's not assumption, just as Mike don't win 6 without Scottie, Shaq don't win his 3 without Kobe. Ying and Yang, two to tango, all that other suspect ****. :lol:

Kobe not being #1 on the Lakers is irrelevant when he would have been #1 on every other team in the NBA outside 2 maybe 3. The Lakers are just that smart. We're better than everybody else, and always have been.

Irrelevant huh?? The so called "player of the century" wasn't even the "player on his own team". Just goes to show that Kobe lovers pull out all the stops to try and make Kobe larger than what he is.

And it's not assumption, just as Mike don't win 6 without Scottie, Shaq don't win his 3 without Kobe. Ying and Yang, two to tango, all that other suspect ****.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. To me Shaq would have been able to do without Kobe, especially in his prime. Kobe on the other hand, needs help and needed help badly when big brother left town.

Deuce, I already said, Shaq was done by 05, why are you not getting that? Kobe has been a top 3-5 player EVERY YEAR since 2000. No other NBA player can say that. Not one single one.

Would you PLEASE freaking read and comprehend that. THAT is what Dime was getting at 88 years early. :lol:

So in short

Kobe was #2 option on a team with two #1 options for 2 years of the century
The other 10 years, Kobe is #1 option and most consistent player in the league justifying his place as #1 player of the century, which in itself is a stupid title given its only 12 years out of a possible 100.

/end

Deuce, I already said, Shaq was done by 05, why are you not getting that? Kobe has been a top 3-5 player EVERY YEAR since 2000. No other NBA player can say that. Not one single one.
Would you PLEASE freaking read and comprehend that. THAT is what Dime was getting at 88 years early. :lol:

Your making sense but I honestly don't think he has been a top 5 player the past two years. I don't think he is even a top 10 player at this point.

Your making sense but I honestly don't think he has been a top 5 player the past two years. I don't think he is even a top 10 player at this point.

Name 10 better?

He was still 2nd in scoring last year (and could've been 1st if he didn't sit the last game).

Name 10 better?
He was still 2nd in scoring last year (and could've been 1st if he didn't sit the last game).

And did it horribly inefficiently while being straddled with two seven footers next to him. He plays no d, he doesn't get to the line anymore, he doesn't play much d anymore. I loved Kobe in his prime but he is far from the player he once was.

I'd love for someone to explain to me what seperates him from someone like Carmelo at this point? And don't say he scores a lot cause well, Kobe will score 25 ppg till he's 40 but for him that shows little to do with how well he plays.

And did it horribly inefficiently while being straddled with two seven footers next to him. He plays no d, he doesn't get to the line anymore, he doesn't play much d anymore. I loved Kobe in his prime but he is far from the player he once was.
I'd love for someone to explain to me what seperates him from someone like Carmelo at this point? And don't say he scores a lot cause well, Kobe will score 25 ppg till he's 40 but for him that shows little to do with how well he plays.

Sure he is not the player he was. But outside the top 10?

I'm thinking about it and I can't find 10 better players.

Off the top of the dome, no particular order I'd take

Bron
Wade
Dwight
Dirk
Durant
Russ
Rose
Paul
Melo
Rondo

Kobe was #2 option on a team with two #1 options for 2 years of the century

Lol @ kobe being the "second #1 option" during the SHAQ-led lakers dynasty now. wtf. he was the #2 option in a team with one #1 option. knock it off

shaq was putting up historic video game type numbers in the 2000 finals, while kobe was getting outplayed by a 35 reggie miller. but "the other #1 option" is gona get outplayed by a 35 year old reggie right?. lol

oh, jalen rose also had a better finals performance than "the other #1 option"

in fact, kobe had a austin croshere type of performance if you look at the numbers:

kobe: 15.6 ppg on 36% fg, 4.6 rebounds, 4.2 assists

Austin Croshere: 15.2 ppg on 54% fg, 6 rebounds, 0.8 assists

Austin Croshere. the THIRD option on the underdog indiana team. 

Austin Croshere. 

Austin Croshere.

Lol @ kobe being the "second #1 option" during the SHAQ-led lakers dynasty now. wtf. he was the #2 option in a team with one #1 option. knock it off

shaq was putting up historic video game type numbers in the 2000 finals, while kobe was getting outplayed by a 35 reggie miller. but "the other #1 option" is gona get outplayed by a 35 year old reggie right?. lol
oh, jalen rose also had a better finals performance than "the other #1 option"

in fact, kobe had a austin croshere type of performance if you look at the numbers:

kobe: 15.6 ppg on 36% fg, 4.6 rebounds, 4.2 assists
Austin Croshere: 15.2 ppg on 54% fg, 6 rebounds, 0.8 assists

Austin Croshere. the THIRD option on the underdog indiana team. 

Austin Croshere. 

Austin Croshere.

Outplayed by Miller? :lol: .. clearly shows that you don't know what you're talking about.. if i remember correctly Miller went 1-15 or something in Game 1 against Kobe, sorry to burst your bubble little fellow

Kobe got injured in Game 2, remember? .. Sat out game 3 and Indiana earned their first win.. Kobe came back in Game 4 and we all know what happened then..

He did struggle in Game 5 . HORRIBLY..

I love the fact that you didn't even mention that he was playing injured. SHAQ was clearly the #1 option but you making it sound like Kobe sat to the bench and made little impact in that series.

was kobe being number 2 a knock to him im sure kobe would tell u during dat time he was the second option on that team thats y it aint work he wanted to be num 1. i dnt know why people are gettin made like this is new info as great as kobe was durin 3peat shaq was greater no kobe diss but its truth 

carmelo never has and never will be able to guard anyone so a 33-34 yr old kobe > melo ill take the lil defense kobe plays now over the no defense melo plays 

You don't watch ball then...Since Woodson took over Melo's D actually has been solid, while Kobe doesn't even play D anymore. Last year dude just watched everybody go buy him and funneled them straight into two seven footers, a lucky advantage to have.

Lucky the season starts soon and I'm pretty sure that will settle most of these arguments. I mean I just don't know how someone could watch the olympics and think Kobe is better than Melo at this point. Kobe don't rebound, pass or defend much anymore, his stans just have a hard part accepting that Kobe in the twilight of his career =/= prime Kobe

You don't watch ball then...Since Woodson took over Melo's D actually has been solid, while Kobe doesn't even play D anymore. Last year dude just watched everybody go buy him and funneled them straight into two seven footers, a lucky advantage to have.
Lucky the season starts soon and I'm pretty sure that will settle most of these arguments. I mean I just don't know how someone could watch the olympics and think Kobe is better than Melo at this point. Kobe don't rebound, pass or defend much anymore, his stans just have a hard part accepting that Kobe in the twilight of his career =/= prime Kobe
 And Kobe was a leading MVP candidate in the first half of the season.
laugh.gif
 At you guys thinking Bean doesn't have it anymore.

My goodness, how quickly they forget...

Back
Top Bottom