Kobe Retire If Lakers Win Championship This Year??

Originally Posted by kash55

He's got 2, maybe 3 more years.
How many more years does your boy AI have?
Kobe is fresh off 2 Finals MVPs, put on a show during ASG, his team is on fire and has a great shot off 3peating, there's not a 2 guard other than Wade that comes close to comparing...he leads the league in scoring per 48 min...The Lakers have done a good job surrounding him with talent (stealing Gasol, keeping Bynum) so that Kobe doesn't have to go full throttle anymore. At times, Kobe has struggled balancing team ball and being the scorer that he was in his #8 days. But this year, it looks a lot more natural for him. He's picking his spots, scoring in spurts, and closing out games. 

Kobe just signed a 3 year extension and you're a fool if you think he's retiring after that...I can easily see him avg 18, 5, 5 in his late 30s, playing 2nd/3rd fiddle just to get more chances of winning rings. If Ray Allen, KG, Nash, etc. can play at a high level in their mid 30s then Kobe should be able to adjust. His game is not defined by his athleticism (it hasn't been for 3 years now). His jumper, post game, IQ, work ethic, and most importantly his competitiveness will get him playing until he's 40 EASY.

Originally Posted by vanexellent

Regarding those who question if Kobe could coach (including Kobe himself who seems to always deny he would) he already act like one during timeouts and on the bench. Like pointing out where players should be at certain times, motivating/yelling at/counceling teammates and working out with teammates & other players in the off season. Maybe not at the pro level but I say he'd be a great coach/teacher.
For sure, except when he's coaching his teammates he's actually involved in the process as far as playing in the actual game. It wont be the same to him when all he can do is tell players what to do and not help out by being in the actual game.

As for Kobe's numbers this season.......Like someone said above hes easily averaging his career numbers while playing LESS minutes. It's not like his numbers went down because of age, they've pretty much stayed the same and he's played less minutes.

He's having a very underrated season....But it seems people just don't care about what he's doing in the regular season since everyones already used to what he's capable of doing.

If Kobe played as many minutes as Durant does he'd easily be the NBA scoring leader, but he doesn't care about scoring titles at this point.

Originally Posted by vanexellent

Regarding those who question if Kobe could coach (including Kobe himself who seems to always deny he would) he already act like one during timeouts and on the bench. Like pointing out where players should be at certain times, motivating/yelling at/counceling teammates and working out with teammates & other players in the off season. Maybe not at the pro level but I say he'd be a great coach/teacher.
For sure, except when he's coaching his teammates he's actually involved in the process as far as playing in the actual game. It wont be the same to him when all he can do is tell players what to do and not help out by being in the actual game.

As for Kobe's numbers this season.......Like someone said above hes easily averaging his career numbers while playing LESS minutes. It's not like his numbers went down because of age, they've pretty much stayed the same and he's played less minutes.

He's having a very underrated season....But it seems people just don't care about what he's doing in the regular season since everyones already used to what he's capable of doing.

If Kobe played as many minutes as Durant does he'd easily be the NBA scoring leader, but he doesn't care about scoring titles at this point.

I think he'd do it, just to see if he can get one WITHOUT Phil. That would add quite a bit to his legacy I think. That he did it...he just did it.

I think he'd do it, just to see if he can get one WITHOUT Phil. That would add quite a bit to his legacy I think. That he did it...he just did it.

IF Kobe gets a 6th ring this season, and that's a BIG IF....MJ still has two gold medals, and you know Kobe will be on that 2012 team looking for second consecutive gold. Kobe isn't going away for awhile.

IF Kobe gets a 6th ring this season, and that's a BIG IF....MJ still has two gold medals, and you know Kobe will be on that 2012 team looking for second consecutive gold. Kobe isn't going away for awhile.

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

what a dumb thread
--This.
--But that JVG stoneface had me dying...
roll.gif

People are saying he's slowing down and he is STILL playing at an elite level...

I don't see him going even if he wins the title the next 2 years.... I say he plays 5 more years..

People are saying he's slowing down and he is STILL playing at an elite level...

I don't see him going even if he wins the title the next 2 years.... I say he plays 5 more years..

Retire? Not likely.

Maybe, though.

Probably not.

Nah, there's no way. Absolutely not.

No, he definitely will. Definitely will.

Possibly.

No, he won't. Unless he does.

Retire? Not likely.

Maybe, though.

Probably not.

Nah, there's no way. Absolutely not.

No, he definitely will. Definitely will.

Possibly.

No, he won't. Unless he does.

No way Bean retires in the next 5 years.
i say he retires between 38-41

if they can get Dwight and CP3, (i doubt the latter) the pressure to carry a team will not be there, he can adjust his game and play that old man game.

people forget that Jordan on the Wizards was top 10 in scoring, Kobe arguably has the same work ethic, i dont see him not physically being able to go into his late 30's

i also think the "Can he do it without Phil" motivation will keep him in the game, plus the fact that, the West doesnt really have a great threat to the Lakers, and i dont see it changing in the next few years... 

No way Bean retires in the next 5 years.
i say he retires between 38-41

if they can get Dwight and CP3, (i doubt the latter) the pressure to carry a team will not be there, he can adjust his game and play that old man game.

people forget that Jordan on the Wizards was top 10 in scoring, Kobe arguably has the same work ethic, i dont see him not physically being able to go into his late 30's

i also think the "Can he do it without Phil" motivation will keep him in the game, plus the fact that, the West doesnt really have a great threat to the Lakers, and i dont see it changing in the next few years... 

--He still has some losing to do.
--Granted, the Lakers can still make the Finals a few times more but its their time to lose. Boston, NY, CHicago or (gulp) Miami. Take your pick.

--Granted, the Lakers can still make the Finals a few times more but its their time to lose. Boston, NY, CHicago or (gulp) Miami. Take your pick.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

pimp.gif
Nice.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

pimp.gif
Nice.

i dont see kobe coaching. just cause he barks orders to his guys on the bench doesnt mean anything. hes leads by example. i could see fish coaching more than i see kobe. although, i think puke walton will be the most successful of them all when it comes to coaching

i dont see kobe coaching. just cause he barks orders to his guys on the bench doesnt mean anything. hes leads by example. i could see fish coaching more than i see kobe. although, i think puke walton will be the most successful of them all when it comes to coaching

Back
Top Bottom