**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

And do you remember what Russell did right around 4:25 left in the 4th quarter with the Lakers up by 6 that basically led to the Hornets getting jumpstarted on their run to finish the game? Or better yet, what Russell didn't do at around 4:25 left in the 4th quarter! And then followed by what Lou didn't do on the next possession that caused Luke to insert Nick and Jordan to replace the two guards.

Omg.... He missed a shot at 4:25... Oh geez.

The Hornets didn't score from 4:25 to when Russell came out with 3:44 left

And Nick was a -22 tonight... You brought up +/- earlier.. HE WAS MINUS 22.

LMFAO.

I will make sure all you clowns eat crow once we get rid of Russell. Don't believe me, just watch.

And do you remember what Russell did right around 4:25 left in the 4th quarter with the Lakers up by 6 that basically led to the Hornets getting jumpstarted on their run to finish the game? Or better yet, what Russell didn't do at around 4:25 left in the 4th quarter! And then followed by what Lou didn't do on the next possession that caused Luke to insert Nick and Jordan to replace the two guards.
Omg.... He missed a shot at 4:25... Oh geez.

The Hornets didn't score from 4:25 to when Russell came out with 3:44 left

And Nick was a -22 tonight... You brought up +/- earlier.. HE WAS MINUS 22.
You clearly miss the importance of what Luke wanted Russell to do (and what not to do) with his team up by 6 in the closing minutes.

It's not always about stats dude...there are some things called intangibles and floor generalship that speak volumes about the kind of leadership that is needed on the floor in order to generate wins and sustain leads.

Russell is SUPPOSED TO BE that guy on the Lakers. And Luke showed he doesn't have 100% confidence in him and is why he took him out.

Now did his plan backfire? Maybe so, because they lost. But Russell didn't help himself either by setting the wrong tone for his teammates as the leader on this team. Bottom line, he tried to play hero ball at the wrong moments of the game. He went 1-ON-5 !!! Uncalled for at that juncture of the game. 

Benching him was the right thing to do so the kid can continue to learn.

Luke's quote about "learning" during the post game conference IMO was not so much a knock on himself as it was a message to D'Angelo.

Last edited:
You clearly miss the importance of what Luke wanted Russell to do (and what not to do) with his team up by 6 in the closing minutes.

It's not always about stats dude...there are some things called intangibles and floor generalship that speak volumes about the kind of leadership that is needed on the floor in order to generate wins and sustain leads.

:rofl:

Last edited:
So we gonna just blame a team loss on DLo? :lol:

This slander is even worse than whenever people would blame Kobe for the team losing because he didn't deliver in clutch time

yeah pretty sure we lost the lead when dlo went out.

hey we get it you dont like his billy the kid style of play.

but the truth is the truth, this team is better with him on the floor, tangibly and intangibly

period.

Another "shoulda won" game
So disappointing
Growing pains

The worst part of this game is that the kid you draft as the future is benched in crunch time

Last edited:
yeah pretty sure we lost the lead when dlo went out.

hey we get it you dont like his billy the kid style of play.

but the truth is the truth, this team is better with him on the floor, tangibly and intangibly

period.
If we just going to go off eye test alone, the starting lineup was playing ok with the exception of Randle in the 1st quarter, and when we inserted the bench, we got really hot and Luke decided to keep them in for most of the rest of the 1st half.
2nd half Charlotte got hot, our bench cooled down a bit, and our starting lineup tried their best to preserve the lead until Luke made those questionable subs late in the 4th quarter.
Overall, we lost as a team.
Basketball is a team game.

This isn't the first game Luke has benched him down the stretch of close games. I mean I'm not the biggest fan of D'Lo but Byron was getting killed for doing the same thing, sooner rather than later we need to see what we have in D'Lo and see if he can perform like a cornerstone piece. I know he's been in and out of the lineup but he's playing less now under Luke than he was under the guy you folks said hated him.

Last edited:
Stu Lantz brought up time and time again during the 4th quarter that this team has no Alpha. He knows it, Luke knows it, Mitch knows it, and even DLo knows it (in spite of his desperate attempts to act like he's the leader running the show on this team lol).

DLo is an AVERAGE player, that's it. And because he is, he ain't gonna last as a Laker. 

Russ tryna assert himself as the alpha....

is that a bad thing? I would think you would want that from your #2 pick...let the kid show and prove. (ESPECIALLY IN A REBUILDING SEASON LIKE THIS, we aint doing nothing this year)

this team NEEDS that closer, and we not going to get it from practices.

hes gotta learn to fail before he can succeed

Hes putting fourth the effort, why you knocking him so hard?

shiitttt I remember when kobe was mad average too....

gotta put doods in positions to win and see what they can do.

you not even willing to give this cat a chance.

This isn't the first game Luke has benched him down the stretch of close games. I mean I'm not the biggest fan of D'Lo but Byron was getting killed for doing the same thing, sooner rather than later we need to see what we have in D'Lo and see if he can perform like a cornerstone piece. I know he's been in and out of the lineup but he's playing less now under Luke than he was under the guy you folks said hated him.
He hasn't played above 27 minutes since coming back from his injury
I'm wondering if it's a minute restriction thing due to his knee

He hasn't played above 27 minutes since coming back from his injury
I'm wondering if it's a minute restriction thing due to his knee

Good point, but Dlo seemed pretty depressed and confused post game so I suspect he doesn't know about a minutes restriction

Really hope Nance's injury isn't severe. Dude is probably my favorite Laker now.

Russ tryna assert himself as the alpha....

is that a bad thing? I would think you would want that from your #2 pick...let the kid show and prove. (ESPECIALLY IN A REBUILDING SEASON LIKE THIS, we aint doing nothing this year)

this team NEEDS that closer, and we not going to get it from practices.

hes gotta learn to fail before he can succeed

Hes putting fourth the effort, why you knocking him so hard?

shiitttt I remember when kobe was mad average too....

gotta put doods in positions to win and see what they can do.

you not even willing to give this cat a chance.
I honestly don't think he's putting forth MAX effort in optimizing his game. Which is why I've come to not like him on this team.

Maybe it's just his style. He looks too nonchalant at times and his lack of assertiveness and aggressiveness bothers me. Not to mention, I just don't think he's that intelligent on the floor as the team's PG. He's better off as a SG imo but the problem is, DLo loves to handle the rock as if he's the PG. 

He's like that Honda Civic or Acura Integra back in the 90s with a full on body kit, coil-overs, and exhaust system but come to find out it ain't even a stick shift and is slow as hell. Aka All-Show, No Go.

And Kobe "mad average?" Hell to the naw. Kobe DOMINATED SPL as a 17-year old (and when I say dominated, I mean averaging something like 30 ppg right off the jump in summer league). It's not even a comparison. Kobe already had the killer instinct as a teenager and EVERYBODY saw it and knew it. 

The ONLY reason Kobe looked "mad average" his first two years in the NBA was because he was playing behind Eddie Jones and Byron Scott. If Kobe played for a last place team his rookie year, dude would have EASILY averaged 23 ppg as a rookie. No question in my mind.

As far as giving him a chance, you're right I'm putting him on a very short leash and I should wait at least until the end of the year to determine if he's capable enough to be the cornerstone. The problem is, my gut instinct continues to tell me every day that he's nowhere close to being the leader we need to get this team back to the top.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom