**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Beal pipe dream gone now.

Unless his agent is Rich Paul and he advises him to not sign and holdout for more like he did KCP when Detroit was throwing a crazy max extension a few years back before he signed with the Lakers.

For better or for worse, Kuz's development might be the most important storyline to track for the Lakers this year.
I'd say it's Boogie's health. 16, 6 and 3 last year and he was nowhere near 70%.

If he's fully healthy this year, Kuz will be an afterthought.

Yea Boogie is the real X factor, if he's at 80-90% of what he was before, there's a new ceiling we could reach. I think the most important thing for him is stamina & being able to regain his 3pt shot

Beal pipe dream gone now.

Unless his agent is Rich Paul and he advises him to not sign and holdout for more like he did KCP when Detroit was throwing a crazy max extension a few years back before he signed with the Lakers.

He's not going to sign the extension

Fully healthy and dominant AD
Bron 70 games
Kuz developing
Cousins back to 85% of who he was
Bradley getting anywhere close to what he can be
KCP being at least decent shooting/defensively
Cook/Rondo/Caruso being something of note
McGee being what he was last season
Green staying healthy for 70ish games

I been doing a lot of homework on this team. I'm really confident in what boogie can bring to the table. This is still a big man's league contrary to popular belief. We should feast in the paint and on the boards. We finished 29th in 3% and even with that we lost a bunch of games at the free throw line where we also finished 29th. Both issues have been addressed. Guys like cook green caruso and Daniels posted some nasty, nasty, nasty numbers on catch and shoot and wide open 3s. This team will generate a bunch of wide open 3s. Bradley was a respectable shooter even in a down year as well as Dudley. Kcp and Kuz were bad but nasty in 17-18 so there's optimism there. Bron was below average but he settled for more pull ups than usual because there was no spacing. He was at 40% and 42% on catch and shoot and wide open 3s the year before. Even rondo shot 36%. It's possible that our worst 3 point shooter outside of McGee is Anthony Davis. And it's not unrealistic that he can improve on his 33% from last year. This team is being heavily slept on and I like it that way

If boogie has a break out season, and we win the chip, do we go in to luxury tax to keep him?

I think we're limited into how we can offer him since he's only on a 1 year deal. Cap does go up by 10 mil next summer though.

If boogie balls out there is no way we keep him imo. He’ll be looking to secure a longer term deal (3-4 years) with ideally a high AAV (20M +). Next year we will not want to commit beyond 2021 because we want to be front runners in the Giannis sweepstakes. We could theoretically offer him a one year with a relatively high AAV but I’m sure he rather take a long term deal

If boogie has a break out season, and we win the chip, do we go in to luxury tax to keep him?

At some point he's gonna want a real payday, and I don't think we spend into 2021 cuz you know we chasin Giannis.

If for some crazy reason he's willing to stay for one year, I'm sure we'd be interested.

Man we Midas whale sign gelo ball right now so we can get Melo and then Zo back.

Make it happen mitch
giphy.gif

If Boogie plays as well as we hope, he's back to being a 20 Million a year guy at least & based on all the money he's lost the past two years he's def gonna take it :lol:

The real question is, will Alex Caruso be that Steph curry like player who outplays his contract. Locking up to a multi year deal was key given that he will likely make the jump and woulda demanded a max deal worth 25+ next summer

If Boogie returns to form we winning the chip and he can go do whatever the hell he wants. Would be the best vet minimum signing in league history.

Interesting article from Shams in the Athletic today about the Kawhi Leonard deal. Here's the most interesting tidbit about us

But Leonard and his representatives made it clear: We have a way we handle business, and we expect the same. Leonard and his camp asked questions and received responses. Details shared in meetings, private and personal information on both sides, were to remain within the group. Leonard promised that to each team and expected the same, sources told Charania.

“If you **** this up, you’re done, you’re out,” one front-office executive involved in the process explained to The Athletic. “They didn’t say that, but that was the message. It was basically, ‘Look, we would appreciate discretion.’ Which means, ‘Keep your ****ing mouth shut.’”

Magic Johnson, the Lakers legend who abruptly resigned as president of basketball operations in late May and proceeded to torch owner Jeanie Buss and general manager Rob Pelinka on national television weeks later, thought it wise to broadcast that Robertson had called to pick his brain about the purple-and-gold before free agency had even begun.

“I truly believe that when Magic started telling the media about the meeting he had with Kawhi and Dennis, that sealed the fate of the Lakers,” a person involved in the process told The Athletic. “I think that right there was when Dennis and Kawhi decided we can’t trust the Lakers as an organization. And that was it. I think that was it for them.”

I don't think that Kawhi was coming here anyway but I don't think Magic Johnson's comments helped. Kawhi his Camp specifically said that they wanted confidentiality in the moment the phone call was over the media got a verbatim transcript of Magic's conversation with Uncle Dennis.

My biggest question during that whole time was, why would you have someone who resigned from as the VP of Basketball Ops represent your franchise with a free agent? That entire situation was very bizarre to me.

At this stage, I don't want Magic Johnson anywhere near are franchise when it comes to business matters. Obviously he's an all-time great player, a well-liked guy and a good businessman in other areas but everything he's touched within the Lakers organization in the last 2 years has gone to crap. Unless we're bringing back Laker greats for some type of ceremony, keep it Magic Way

https://theundefeated.com/features/phil-handy-the-man-behind-the-cavs-resurgence-in-the-finals/

Phil Handy was so annoyed by trash-talking text messages from his Bay Area friends about the Cleveland Cavaliers getting drummed by 15 points in the NBA Finals opener that he turned off his cellphone. And then the Cavs were humiliated further by his hometown Golden State Warriors 110-77 in Game 2. The problem? Handy is Cleveland’s assistant and player development coach and it suddenly appeared that the Warriors could potentially sweep LeBron James and the Cavaliers.

Handy respects head coach Tyronn Lue and stays in his lane as a Cavaliers’ assistant coach. But, after the Cavaliers looked overmatched, displaying little fight in their Game 2 beating, an emotional, almost-in-tears Handy asked and received permission from Lue to call out the team.

“We looked like a deer in headlights,” Handy told The Undefeated. “I was like, ‘Man, T-Lue, I’m not trying to step on your toes, but I got something to say, man.’ I didn’t go at nobody, directly. I was talking to all of them.

“We’re at the NBA Finals. They were acting like we were weak. I just told all of them that ‘this was some [expletive].’ That, the Warriors are ‘just out there punking y’all and ya’ll ain’t doing [expletive] … They’re getting in your faces, clowning in front of our bench and doing whatever they want to do. And ya’ll aren’t responding.’ ”

Handy told the Cavs he took their play and the Warriors’ behavior personally and that once the team returned home to Cleveland, they had “better be ready to play, because that was some [expletive].”

The Cavaliers appeared to have heeded Handy’s words as they came ready to play in Game 3, jumping to a 9-0 lead. After the concerned Warriors called a timeout, James was unusually passionate and excited as the Quicken Loans Arena crowd roared with renewed hope. The Cavaliers went on to dominate the Warriors 120-90 to trim their Finals series deficit to 2-1 and snap a seven-game losing streak against Golden State.

While big games by James, Kyrie Irving and J.R. Smith had a lot to do with it, Handy got some credit for lighting the Cavaliers’ flame.

“The speech he gave after Game 2 really hit home for all of us,” Irving said after Thursday’s practice at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. “It was a man-to-man speech that needed to be said, that we all understood in order to, kind of, will ourselves to understand that we still have a chance in this series. Golden State took care of home court. But that speech really hit home for all of us.”

Said Lue: “What he said was right on and the guys accepted that.”

Handy’s hoop passion actually dates to his days growing up a big Warriors fan in a now quickly gentrifying West Oakland, California, about a 10-minute drive from Oracle Arena.

Handy, 44, was the youngest of six boys and one daughter of C.L. and Earlean Handy. He fell in love with basketball and the Warriors as a child. Phil Smith, Sleepy Floyd, “Run TMC” (Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin) and Sarunas Marciulionis were his favorite Warriors. Growing up, Handy played against future pros such as Hall of Famers Gary Payton and Jason Kidd, Brian Shaw and Lamond Murray.

Handy experienced his share of drama growing up in West Oakland: home invasions, gunshots heard in the distance, watching neighbors get run over by cars that didn’t stop. His parents, however, made a family-changing decision by moving to the safer, suburban Union City, California, when he was 11.

gettyimages-526078954.jpg

Kevin Love, No. 0, and Phil Handy of the Cleveland Cavaliers talk during an all access practice at the Cleveland Clinic Courts on April 28, 2016, in Independence, Ohio.

DAVID LIAM KYLE/NBAE VIA GETTY IMAGES

“If we stayed in West Oakland, I don’t know if I would be here to talk about it right now,” Handy said.

After he went undrafted as a scholarship ballplayer out of the University of Hawaii, the 6-foot-5 combo guard had short stints with the Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers. He completed his pro basketball career overseas, where he played in the United Kingdom, Australia and Israel.

Next, he became a basketball trainer, working out with players such as current Charlotte Hornets guard Jeremy Lin. Handy got back into the NBA as a player development coach with the Los Angeles Lakers from 2011-13. He quickly developed a strong relationship with five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant before joining the Cavaliers in 2013.

Soon, Handy connected Bryant with Irving through a dinner in Los Angeles last season. Irving adopted the legend Bryant’s workout through the two players’ connection and Handy’s guidance.

Handy sent Irving a motivational text message on the eve before he dropped 30 points and eight assists in Game 3.

“Coach Handy has done an unbelievable job,” Irving said. “He’s kind of the one who introduced the relationship and mentorship that I have with Kobe. And in terms of working out late nights, doing whatever it takes to win, learning how to lead, understanding the nuances of the game and understanding what it takes to be a great player in this league, [Handy’s] really kind of put down the foundation and steps.

“He’s kind of like my dad in terms of in basketball when I’m away from my family. So he’s been influential on my life.”

Handy is likely done giving pep speeches to the Cavs, but his faith is now strong that the franchise’s first NBA championship can be won by his beloved boys.

Or as he says: “I believe we have a talented enough team to win a championship. The team general manager David Griffin put together and T-Lue is coaching is built for a championship.”
https://ca.nba.com/news/who-is-toro...andy-facts-history/1158w6y3wudyu1gv9u2t7uohkh

Newly-hired Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse continues to round out his coaching staff. Last week, Michael Grange (Sportsnet) indicated that one of Nurse's assistant coaching targets was former Cleveland Cavaliers assistant Phil Handy.

In the first episode of his podcast released Tuesday morning, Raptors guard Danny Green hinted at the news by expressing his excitement to work with Handy in the near future. ESPN's Marc Spears would later confirm Handy's hiring on Tuesday evening.

Marc J. Spears

✔@MarcJSpearsESPN

Kudos to Phil Handy, who has worked closely with the likes of Kobe, LeBron and Kyrie, as he has landed with the Raptors as an assistant coach after departing from the Cavaliers.

10:27 PM - Jul 24, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

46 people are talking about this

As indicated by Spears, Handy has developed a reputation as one of the best skill development coaches in the NBA.

Here's more on how he got to where he is today and why Raptors fans should be excited about the new hire…

Background
Handy, a native of California, grew up in Oakland before moving to the nearby suburb of Union City at the age of 11.

After a year of junior college basketball, Handy spent two seasons playing at the University of Hawaii, where he averaged 10.0 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 62 games.

Professional Career
Handy went undrafted in 1995 but had brief stints with the NBA's Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers before embarking upon a career overseas.

During his international career, Handy played in Israel, France, England, Germany, Italy and Australia. He developed a working relationship with Raptors head coach Nick Nurse as a member of the BBL's Manchester Giants.

After retiring from his playing career, Handy began his transition into the next phase of his basketball life.

Player Development
In a 2012 interview with Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudell, Handy spoke on how he got into player development:

"After retiring from playing myself about 12 years ago, I started my own basketball training business. Tony Delk, Eddie House, Shawn Marion and Penny Hardaway were some of the first guys I worked with, and Tony encouraged me to make it a business."

From there, his training business grew and he developed a clientele of established pros such as Arron Afflalo, Jeremy Lin and five-time All-Star Blake Griffin.

NBA Coaching Career
Los Angeles Lakers (2011-13)

Handy's reputation led to then-Lakers head coach Mike Brown appointing him as the team's player development coach.

In his two seasons with the team, he worked with and quickly earned the respect of Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash, among others.

Cleveland Cavaliers (2013-18)

When Brown was brought back as the head coach of Cleveland in 2013, he brought Handy along with him to serve in a similar capacity.

It didn't take long for Handy and 2012 Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving to develop a strong bond. According to a 2016 article written by Spears, Handy connected Irving with Kobe Bryant, which led to Irving adopting many of Bryant's habits. Irving speaks highly of Handy:

"Coach Handy has done an unbelievable job. He's kind of the one who introduced the relationship and mentorship that I have with Kobe. And in terms of working out late nights, doing whatever it takes to win, learning how to lead, understanding the nuances of the game and understanding what it takes to be a great player in this league, [Handy's] really kind of put down the foundation and steps."

upload_2019-7-23_15-4-45.gif

During his time in Cleveland, Handy was seen working with all Cavs players, from All-Stars like Irving, Kevin Love and LeBron James to younger players like Kay Felder, John Holland and Jordan Clarkson.

Handy's competitive fire is why he is credited as one of the sparks that helped ignite the Cavs' comeback from a 3-1 deficit in the 2016 NBA Finals.

What He Brings
Handy specializes in skills development with an emphasis on footwork and balance, allowing him to work with players at all positions.

As Danny Green has already expressed his excitement to work with Handy, he will also do wonders in the growth of established veterans like Kawhi Leonard and Kyle Lowry, in addition to the Raptors' budding young talents of OG Anunoby, Fred VanVleet, Delon Wright and Pascal Siakam.

Perhaps Handy's competitive fire can help propel the Raptors to new heights as well.

After all the bashing Jeanie & Rob got over this past season i don't think their getting enough credit for how they are attempting to move this offseason. rob squeezed everything he could out of our FA money & put together a good team to compliment Bron & AD.

Jeanie has completely revamped our coaching staff, hired shooting coaches & revamped out training/medical, w're about to be in for a great season.

Lets not pretend Magic’s not part of the organization just because he’s not on the payroll. He knows all the ins and outs of what goes on in that organization and is a global Lakers brand ambassador (unofficially)

I’m sure his loose lips played some part in Kawhi’s decision. An ultra private person like that doesn’t want a notorious big mouth close by

Kawhi wanted to be a Clipper that's been made abundantly clear. Nothing Magic, Bron or AD could have done would have changed that. He allowed them to try and move heaven and earth to get him another star there. We were played plain and simple. Only thing left now is to beat their heads in til the white meat show for the next 2 years.

They knew Magic had loose lips when they asked to speak with him.

Back
Top Bottom