**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Across the hall has a culture and identity. They play hard and together and make no excuses for injury. We are the opposite

To be honest, the Lakers haven’t had much of a culture since the Kobe/Pau years. Once Dwight left in free agency, they pretty much decided to milk the cash cow known as Kobes last few seasons for all it was worth, while pretty much bringing in a bunch of different guys every year on one year deals. Yeah, they loaded up on top draft picks, but outside of Kobe, there was no constant, there was no stability, no vets to stick around to develop that culture and identity.

Carry over to the Lebron years, they pretty much gutted their young core they tanked to get for AD (won a title out of it, so something came out of it) and pretty much revamped almost the entire roster outside of Lebron and AD in a panic after losing in the first round to Phoenix in a season where their issues were much more injury related than anything. Now they’re left with a flawed roster and lame duck coach and more dysfunction this offseason.

And in terms of building a culture and identity. Jeanie and company value image and perception more than anything. Let’s just say after this season in their eyes they saw the writing on the wall and felt like there was no realistic path to winning another title with a team centered around Lebron and AD. They would still try to extend Lebron and be fine with Rob making short term roster moves to appease Lebron rather than make the unpopular decision to tear it down and try to get pieces to rebuild and be an attractive destination for future top talent largely due to their obsession with image and having to have a superstar on the roster at all costs.
The Lakers had an identity, but over the last two off-seasons (particular last off-season) have turned over so much that it has withered away.

The Lakers had an identity, but over the last two off-seasons (particular last off-season) have turned over so much that it has withered away.

They had a good thing going during the 2019-20 season. That roster was nice and everyone complimented each other well.

Roster turnover is inevitable in the NBA, but I felt they got too cute after winning in 2019-20. Yeah they caught a bad break in starting right back up for 2020-21 barely 72 days after winning the title. But even despite all that, a lot of their issues last season were due to injuries to where there was no need to shake everything up this past offseason on the level they did.

All that said. I’ve never seen a team that’s frustrated me like this team has. The 1999 (lockout season) and 2012-13 teams underachieved. There’s been some bad teams who just had no talent but this has just been rough. Maybe I’m living in the moment, but this has been tough to watch.

Oram is whatever, but I enjoyed the McMeniman-Woj interview.
Listened to the Woj interview, at least the McMen part it’s okay nothing ground breaking. Tried with the Oram one, got through a few minutes…lol I can’t do it bro.

For starters…he argues stuff Lakers are the big bros, Clips are the lil bros, no Kawhi/PG, how is this possible? I have to think he knows basketball better than this superficial crap. Forget names for a minute, if you look at all the things you want a basketball team to be able to do…defend, shoot, pass, rebound, etc what exactly do the Lakers do better than the Clips? Not to mention they have youth, athleticism and better coaching on their side.

And I think he mentioned something about he thinks Lebron is mostly worried about chasing Kareem. Someone posted this the other day I think it was darthska darthska but he’s taking the same number of attempts per game…maybe 1 more shot. With AD out, you would expect everyone to step up and fill that void. Now are there moments in blowouts where he’s still in the game and shouldn’t be? Absolutely. But there’s context to that as well. Have the other teams taken their starters out? Are the Lakers searching for some new lineup combination or trying some new offense out in games? I have no doubt that he would like to break the record, but to assume that’s the main objective is disingenuous.

Ridiculous that Bron and AD signed off on trading for Westbrook, believing that he was gonna sacrifice and change his game to help this team win. My guy is pretty much anti the whole coaching staff and wants to do him without putting the team first. Hate to see it but when something is too good to be true it really ain’t. Wasted a season thinking he was gonna change for the best.

Good chance Bronny doesn't even make it to the NBA. He not even that impressive
At this point in the lives of both Bron & Bronny, Bron's very public interest in playing with his son is basically announcing to the NBA 'Whoever drafts my son is actually drafting me. You draft him, I'm signing with you.'

-foe

So on one hand you have Russell saying his role changes nightly and that he doesn’t know what to expect and on the other hand you have this Stein report claiming he’s resistant to coaches (and teammates) asking him to change.

Truth probably lies somewhere in the middle…

On the offensive end this year we’ve seen Russ go from being on ball, to off ball, a screener, a sometimesy cutter, and at times just standing in the corner. They’ve asked him to be more of a playmaker, and then to also take on more of the scoring load when AD/Bron is out. Attack the rim, cut out the jump shots, dial down some of the aggressive, cut down the turnovers, rebound more, etc etc…

Defensively his role has kinda gone from primary on ball defender, to an off ball guy, to just switch everything.

Now, I’m not saying that’s an excuse for him to play bad. But, I do see some things that he’s had to try and do differently for this current team. Of course changing your game or role doesn’t mean that you’re going to become a different player. I think it’s much easier for a player to transition if they just have to focus on one specific role… like Melo for example. You’re here to shoot the ball, and say ***** when you happen to luck up and get a rebound

"Hey, Russ, we had a couple of things we wanted to talk to you about. We'd like you to come off the bench with Carmelo..."
"😂😂😂 Anyways, what was the 2nd thing?

"He's resistant to change."
"My role changes nightly."

-foe

Pretty safe to say RW and Vogel aren’t fond of each other.

I bet there was probably a film session where Frank singled out Russ (maybe on multiple occasions) and he didn’t take it well. Can see him pushing back like AD getting punked by whoever, Bron ain’t rotating at all, AB getting blown by on every play, DJ looks like a corpse and y’all only getting on me.

Anyhow I’m not trying to make a point to defend Russ. He’s an awful fit on this team and he’s struggled for the majority of the year.

The only positive I got from the RW experience is you don’t normally see anyone really set Lebron up and help him get some easy baskets….and he’s still elite at getting to the paint. LOL he will probably miss the layup when he gets there but not too many other PG’s in the league he can’t dominate physically from the point of attack.

This that 🐂💩. Whole team lacks accountability, egos out of wack, they all in denial 🤦🏾‍♂️🖕🏾
FB_IMG_1646516970455.jpg

tradenba-snap-1646513894086.png
9733189E-9D08-4950-8D47-708B2DD6B635.jpeg

So these were floating around the NBA thread....

I legit would do both. I know you don't want the years on Randle or evan...but those guys around Bron and AD...maybe just maybe but at least we aren't stuck with a bunch of vet mins...

It’s not just the players. Everyone is delusional

Matt Barnes yesterday said the lakers are built for the playoffs. I think Kenny Smith and Kendrick Perkins said it too. :lol:
Lol. Built for the playoffs but will be watching from
Home lol

Back
Top Bottom