**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Lakers need to 🐓block and make sure Boston doesn't beef up inside the paint and get stronger....Rob need to grab one of these two for Lonnie and Pat Bev before they get em

Rob knew what was up.

Thank you Pelinka for taking Bamba and reminding the entire state of Massachusetts that the Land of Bigs still resides in Los Angeles!

:lol:

ESPN TB trade grade

Nuggets deal for Lakers' Thomas Bryant

Nuggets get: Center Thomas Bryant

Lakers get: Forward Davon Reed
2025, 2026 and 2029 second-round picks

i
Denver Nuggets: B+

Having already traded three future first-rounders to build the team that leads the West by 4.5 games heading into the trade deadline, the Nuggets can't keep up with the blockbuster moves elsewhere in the conference. But Denver did have a few second-round picks available to address the team's biggest need: backing up two-time MVP Nikola Jokic at center.

So far this season, the Nuggets have been outscored by 10.2 points per 100 possessions with Jokic on the bench according to NBA Advanced Stats data. That's actually worse than last season (minus-7.8) despite the return of Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. to play minutes with second units.

To some extent, it probably doesn't matter who is behind Jokic for Denver. His style of play is so singular that it can't be replaced by any backup, but Bryant looks like an upgrade on the players the Nuggets have tried there so far. DeAndre Jordan has predictably performed at a below-replacement level for a center this season. So too has Zeke Nnaji, who provides more defensive versatility but is largely a nonfactor on offense.

Enter Bryant, who has performed at the best level of his career while playing for the veterans minimum in L.A. Bryant offers similar above-the-rim finishing to Jordan's (he has 70 dunks this season, per Stathead.com data, good for 20th in the NBA and in fewer minutes than anyone ahead of him on the list) while bringing some stretch to the 5 spot.

Although Bryant is taking 3s less frequently than during his time with the Washington Wizards, he's hitting them at a career-best 44% clip, having previously cleared 40% in 2019-20 before struggling last season coming back from an ACL injury. Add the dunks and the 3s and Bryant has been the NBA's most efficient scorer among qualified players, leading the NBA with a .712 true shooting percentage.

Despite his size and athleticism, Bryant has always been a below-average rim protector. Fortunately, Denver's defensive system isn't built around that kind of play.

We'll see whether Bryant will play enough in the postseason to swing a game or series. Even if he simply helps the Nuggets be more competitive when Jokic misses time in the regular season -- he has sat out five times in the past month, with Denver going 2-3 in those games -- that's probably enough to justify this trade.

Los Angeles Lakers: A-

i
Lakers fans are surely bummed about this trade. Bryant, originally drafted by the Lakers in 2017 and jettisoned after one season to help clear cap space to sign LeBron James, had been the team's best success story in two years of signing veterans for the minimum. Bryant's production as a starting center helped keep the Lakers afloat with Anthony Davis sidelined for an extended period.

In a way, Bryant had almost played too well for the Lakers to re-sign him using non-Bird rights, a form of Bird rights that limits teams to paying 120% of a player's previous salary without dipping into another exception. That might not be enough for Bryant, who could have an above-minimum market this summer.

With the addition of Jarred Vanderbilt, the Lakers now have enough size to get by in the frontcourt without Bryant as long as Davis is healthy. And if Davis misses another extended stretch, the Lakers' season is probably over. So the Lakers rebuilding their stockpile of second-round picks, tapped into to add Rui Hachimura, makes sense.

Technically, the Lakers aren't guaranteed any picks in this trade, as the second-rounders they're acquiring go elsewhere if the Nuggets don't send first-round picks due to their protections. However, the 2025 and 2026 picks are contingent on Denver not giving up a first-round pick that's lottery-protected this season, which would require a historic collapse.

Kelly Oubre #1 buyout target, if he makes it there.

Want to see Davon Reed from DEN in the TB trade get a look too.

Keeping Lonnie was confusing for a lot of reasons.

FYI the Bryant 3 second rounders ONLY convey if the Nuggets give away their firsts those year with other trades

Bamba is important and hope he keeps up his 3 point shot bc Vanderbilt is best used as a SF

He’s a negative defender this year bc Utah used him as a mobile center. He needs ti be guarding the opposite teams wings

FYI the Bryant 3 second rounders ONLY convey if the Nuggets give away their firsts those year with other trades
Unless the Nuggets go on a history losing streak, the Lakers are getting the 2025 and 2026 seconds.

Is Mo Bamba any better than TB?

He's marginally better but more importantly fit the roster better. Like TB, he can stretch out and make threes but Mo is a better defender and shop locker. Love TB but he was a liability defensively.I think Mo has higher upside as well.

I doubt he will ever play like it the high lottery pick he was but I think he has room to grow and playing alongside AD might help him

He's marginally better but more importantly fit the roster better. Like TB, he can stretch out and make threes but Mo is a better defender and shop locker. Love TB but he was a liability defensively.I think Mo has higher upside as well.

I doubt he will ever play like it the high lottery pick he was but I think he has room to grow and playing alongside AD might help him
Most importantly Bamba has 10 mill left next year as team option. So he can be traded at draft day as expiring or retained and traded at deadline. Basically he’s middle tier salary.

Back
Top Bottom