**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

How would you feel about having either Jaden Mcdaniels, Desmond Bane, Ayo Dosinmu, Quentin grimes, hyland or herb jones on a rookie deal?

Those the players lakers gave away or passed on when they traded their first rounder for shroeder and Russell westbrick.

Point is: don’t trade your pick.

with the way the new cBA is, they have no choice but to stash and develop if they want to compete.

With the new CBA and the second luxury apron being so punitive, GMs are going to have to be a lot smarter about how they spend. The superstars are still going to get their max money but the middle class of the NBA is going to get squeezed. Guys like Rui, D'lo and Beasley won't get as much money as they did in years past. The days of your sixth man making $20m are gonna be over.

Teams are going to have to make tough choices. A team like Denver will continue to have money for the max guys like Joker and Murray and maybe two or three other role players but they won't have enough money for Joker, Murray, MPJ, Gordon, KCP and Bruce Brown. The Celtics have a similar situation with Robert Williams, I wouldn't be surprised if he just walks and free agency.

Along with that teams are going to have to get smarter with their draft picks. Successful teams aren't going to give away their pics easily. I imagine scenario someone can NFL where the good teams are able to get production from rookies on team control deals.

I think they will avoid the second apron at all costs next season, but next season is probably the last hurrah for AD and Bron anyways. I was adamant about doing right by this season by making the appropriate trades which they did mid-season. I don't think I want to trade #17 or 2029, unless I get a pick back (say with the Nets or Pacers).

Wouldn’t mind that 10% chance happening

At 39, can he make a deep playoff run without nagging injuries that force him to resort to low percentages three pointers? Not so sure

Why in the hell would the players agree to this new CBA?

Hell why would some of these owners agree to this CBA....

Why in the hell would the players agree to this new CBA?

Hell why would some of these owners agree to this CBA....
I think the players got fleeced again. The second tax apron is like a hard cap which ultimately yields less money to the players (before when a team goes above the luxury tax, just pay double into the luxury tax, that $ goes the the teams/players UNDER the luxury tax).

Owners would agree cause they'll be capped off and incentivized to spend less, makes sense for them

I think the players got fleeced again. The second tax apron is like a hard cap which ultimately yields less money to the players (before when a team goes above the luxury tax, just pay double into the luxury tax, that $ goes the the teams/players UNDER the luxury tax).

Owners would agree cause they'll be capped off and incentivized to spend less, makes sense for them
The middle class players will feel the squeeze, but they probably agreed because the alternative was no checks.

I’d prefer a brand new 3 and shift Bron / AD to 4/5. And pick up depth behind AD. Where you can then still field a generally full team even if they sit.

The tipping point will always be finding a bridge between DLo/AR and Bron/AD.
For example, on offense they need a guy who can catch and shoot so defenses don’t sag off anybody. On defense, need a point of attack defender that handles the primary assignment on the perimeter.

Provides as much continuity with trying to fill in holes.

Team as constructed isn't good enough, may even see regression if the West gets back to normal and these younger squads keep coming.

AD/Bron/AR are the pieces set in stone. Rui may be priced out but if he wants to come back sure. Rest can all be tweaked.

Team as constructed isn't good enough, may even see regression if the West gets back to normal and these younger squads keep coming.

AD/Bron/AR are the pieces set in stone. Rui may be priced out but if he wants to come back sure. Rest can all be tweaked.
You're not wrong, but at the same time the West is going to be open again.

Nuggets - Give them their respect, but they're gonna lose Bruce Brown more than likely.
Warriors - Will they keep Draymond and DDV? How else do they improve?
Clippers - Who wants Marcus Morris, Nic Batum or Robert Covington?
Suns - Their championship hopes rest on what they can get back for DeAndre Ayton and CP3.
Grizzlies - They're gonna lose Dillon Brooks and who knows how long Ja will be suspended.
Pelicans - Injury prone. It's been four years and we still don't know if Zion and Ingram can play together.
Kings - Strong showing this past season, but how do they improve?
Mavs - I expect Kyrie back, but the roster is uber thin. Gonna need to work magic.

I don't think Rui is going to be priced out, especially with a new CBA.

Also, what is your definition of "back to normal" In the West? In 2021 a flawed Suns team played a bunch of injury riddled teams to make the finals. In 2022, a flawed Warriors team won the title, This year 18 the Lakers threw together at the trade deadline with a rookie coach was able to make the conference Finals. There is no juggernaut team coming out of nowhere in the West (except for Denver)

You're not wrong, but at the same time the West is going to be open again.

Nuggets - Give them their respect, but they're gonna lose Bruce Brown more than likely.
Warriors - Will they keep Draymond and DDV? How else do they improve?
Clippers - Who wants Marcus Morris, Nic Batum or Robert Covington?
Suns - Their championship hopes rest on what they can get back for DeAndre Ayton and CP3.
Grizzlies - They're gonna lose Dillon Brooks and who knows how long Ja will be suspended.
Pelicans - Injury prone. It's been four years and we still don't know if Zion and Ingram can play together.
Kings - Strong showing this past season, but how do they improve?
Mavs - I expect Kyrie back, but the roster is uber thin. Gonna need to work magic.

I do agree with most of this, but we can't stay pat either and expect to get better or even make the WCF again next season. I expect OKC to take a jump next season, Grizzlies to fall back.

Is the goal to be in the top half of the conference or 2 win a title? Cause if it's the latter there's a lot on the squad right now that aren't 16 game players outside of the 4 I mentioned.

Need a legit 7' to pair with AD and MO

Mo can be serviceable and if we have him for a full camp + season I'm sure we can get him to be the lob threat/rim protector we need him to be. We don't need him to be an all-star back to the basket player.....he just has to use his size to protect the rim/alter shots and grab boards. He's perfect for us in that sense....dood literally has the biggest wingspan in the league...he can definitely fill needs this team has going forward.

I don't think Rui is going to be priced out, especially with a new CBA.

Also, what is your definition of "back to normal" In the West? In 2021 a flawed Suns team played a bunch of injury riddled teams to make the finals. In 2022, a flawed Warriors team won the title, This year 18 the Lakers threw together at the trade deadline with a rookie coach was able to make the conference Finals. There is no juggernaut team coming out of nowhere in the West (except for Denver)

This was the worst the West collectively has been in what 15? 20 years?

Even if it's wide open behind Denver what moves are we making to combat them, there were only 4 guys that looked like they belonged on the floor in AD, Bron, Reaves, and Rui.

We need another C for the inevitable AD 20+ missed games and an upgrade at the PG position for playoff purposes. Think that's pretty clear.

I do agree with most of this, but we can't stay pat either and expect to get better or even make the WCF again next season. I expect OKC to take a jump next season, Grizzlies to fall back.

Is the goal to be in the top half of the conference or 2 win a title? Cause if it's the latter there's a lot on the squad right now that aren't 16 game players outside of the 4 I mentioned.
Team needs a tweak for sure. But I think it will be done mid-season unless they can peddle Beasley to someone.

This was the worst the West collectively has been in what 15? 20 years?

Even if it's wide open behind Denver what moves are we making to combat them, there were only 4 guys that looked like they belonged on the floor in AD, Bron, Reaves, and Rui.

We need another C for the inevitable AD 20+ missed games and an upgrade at the PG position for playoff purposes. Think that's pretty clear.

I disagree. If you look at it, the West has been pretty weak since Durant left Golden State. We've had three years of pretty wide open conference.

I do agree that we need to improve but remember that Denver is going to be feeling the same restraints that we are from the new CBA and I wouldn't be surprised if they have to shed salary as well. I think if we can make additions on the margins we could put ourselves in position to be a higher seed going into the playoffs and see what happens. On paper, I don't see a route to us making a roster that is on par with Denver but who knows.

Some on here: this roster is not good enough. Do something.

Lakers: tries to do something but nothing can be done bc trades and free agency isn’t all up to the team so have no choice to run it mostly back (and make it back to wcf)

Same people: see lakers are stupid. Shoulda traded for kyrie luka Durant embiid. They didn’t try.

The new CBA isn't punitive, it's preventative. You legit are just incapable of building a contender or even a playoff team if you mismanage contracts. Kinda surprised people didn't catch on to this earlier :lol:. I don't really get it either. Doesn't help players, teams, owners or the quality of the game. Seems like they're leaning all the way into parity. Most teams are going to get weaker and the players that get squeezed are gonna end up on trash teams. So the top gets watered down and the bottom feeders get slightly better. With that said, the Lakers are in a pretty good position given the circumstances

The hard cap and second tax apron line is t that far off so getting hard capped isn’t the end of the world for lakers

The cba gonna make this off-season so strange. It will help us bc I don’t think teams will poison pill Reaves to the max. Can’t have Reaves taking up 36 mill of your cap 2 years from now

The new CBA isn't punitive, it's preventative. You legit are just incapable of building a contender or even a playoff team if you mismanage contracts. Kinda surprised people didn't catch on to this earlier :lol:. I don't really get it either. Doesn't help players, teams, owners or the quality of the game. Seems like they're leaning all the way into parity. Most teams are going to get weaker and the players that get squeezed are gonna end up on trash teams. So the top gets watered down and the bottom feeders get slightly better. With that said, the Lakers are in a pretty good position given the circumstances

I agree with 95% of what you're saying. The middle class of players are getting squeezed and going forward they aren't going to get as much money as it used to. Also, the quality of play is going to decrease because the NBA has always been its most popular when they had dynastic teams ('80s Celtics / Lakers, '90s bowls, Kobe and Shaq Lakers).

That said, I believe the new CBA does benefit the bottom half of NBA owners who have no intention on spending big and don't like seeing teams like Golden State and the Clippers a mass talent through spending a lot of money.

I firmly believe that there are about 10 teams in the league who, even if they had an MVP level player, would not go into the luxury tax to build a championship roster.

Dan Woike:
Lakers! Will they bring back Austin Reaves? And other offseason questions

—All signs continue to point to what has been a widely-held belief around the Lakers — that they have prioritized Austin Reaves and Rui Hachimura in restricted free agency.

—The Lakers’ open stance about matching offers for the two could end up saving the team money, particularly with Reaves. After a terrific postseason debut, teams with cap space don’t have much optimism they’ll be able to pry him free, which means the Lakers’ four-year, $52 million-ish max offer might be the most he gets. People around the league, though, seem to think Reaves is worth more, but the rules prohibit the Lakers from giving it to him unless they’re matching another team’s offer.

—It’s funny how Reaves and Hachimura have been linked considering the two became a bit of a comedy act in the playoffs. In Golden State and Denver, the two sat next to each other and would playfully argue. Before one game, Hachimura pulled me aside, told me to get out my camera to film Reaves giving him a hard time. “Tell him I’ve got an entire country behind me,” Hachimura said with a laugh.

—I haven’t spoken to anyone who thinks LeBron James is retiring. The biggest reasons given to me for his comments after Game 4: fatigue from the season, frustration with getting swept and a reminder to the front office that the Lakers’ title window is closing, keeping a sense of urgency in the foreground.

—D’Angelo Russell’s future with the Lakers is fair less certain. Sign-and-trade possibilities exist — the Lakers have endlessly been tied with Kyrie Irving, and Fred VanVleet’s name has been mentioned since even before he joined Klutch Sports, though the Lakers could again be in a position where they’d be forced to part with one or more draft picks in a deal. Russell’s postseason struggles were probably a little overblown after a disastrous Western Conference finals, but expect the Lakers to look at upgrade options. There’s still a chance Russell returns on a good deal and the Lakers actually get the continuity they’ve spoken about building.

—Malik Beasley has value, either as a floor spacer or as a tradeable expiring contract. Those elements certainly factoring into the Lakers’ decision with his $16.5-million team option. There are strong arguments for picking up that option.

—There’s less optimism on Mo Bamba’s deal, which guarantees for $10.3 million on June 29 according to contract savants Spotrac. That’s a week after the NBA draft. It’s also the same day by which the Lakers have to make their decision on Beasley.

—Speaking of the draft, the Lakers are in an interesting position at No. 17. The last time they drafted in the teens was 2007 when they took Javaris Crittenton.

—Some players picked No. 17: Shawn Kemp, Jermaine O’Neal, Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Jrue Holiday, Dennis Schroder and Trey Murphy III.

—The Lakers have generally taken a “best available” approach to drafting. And the list of rookies to make significant postseason impacts is short. Since 2012-13, only 38 rookies have started two or more playoff games. Only six started 10 or more.

—The Lakers were well represented at Klutch Sports’ pro day where center Derrick Lively II impressed scouts with his length, touch and athleticism. Arkansas guard Nick Smith Jr. also left scouts impressed with his handling and shooting.

—The Lakers can trade their 2023 first-round pick on draft day and not violate the Stepien Rule that prohibits teams from dealing picks in consecutive years. The Pelicans have the rights to the Lakers 2024 pick (New Orleans could elect to take the 2025 first instead)

—Word was Pepperdine wing Maxwell Lewis performed well at his workout with the Lakers last week.

—Last year’s second-round pick, Max Christie, has people around the Lakers very excited with his potential as he heads into a big summer.

I don't understand why people would trade D'lo for FVV or why people would view it as an upgrade. I think a lot of people haven't actually watched FVV sense Toronto's championship run. FVV is a higher volume, lower efficiency player who isn't a good defender. FVV shot 40% from the field and 32% from three last year. If that's the trade, I would rather just keep D'lo

Back
Top Bottom