**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

IDK all the free agency rules bro :lol:

What's stopping AR from taking a little less to stay in LA, rather than accepting a max offer sheet from the Rockets or Spurs?

What's stopping AR from taking a little less to stay in LA, rather than accepting a max offer sheet from the Rockets or Spurs?
Why would he do that? He’s not losing $40M just cause he got love for the Lakers lol
Business is Business

No

It counts as 24.5 towards their tax bill but they pay him 12 12 39 39
Except for lakers it counts as 12 12 39 39

If it counts as 24.5mil toward their tax bill. It’s $24.5mil on the books. Even if they have to pay him $39mil at some point. doesn’t particularly matter when they pay him the money if it’s all guaranteed.

It’s similar to NFL where it’s the AAV that counts toward the bill, not the structure.

It’s the loop hole in the system.

Makes sense...

I rather take $80 million in LA, than 100 in Detroit.

Hopefully, AR does the right thing lol

I’d rather take the 100. Give me the extra 20 mil anywhere in America. I’ll be straight :lol:

Anyway, I think Spurs offer him 100 and he’ll sign there. Lakers will match.

Lakers can’t even offer anything more than 51 mil so they need to get creative if they want to sign AR before AR signs an offer sheet from another team.

More than likely, AR will look for the highest offer and the lakers will match whatever it is. I expect that he’ll be able to find 4 years 80-85 mil at a minimum.

I’m more interested in Rui. He played well for sure but I don’t see his market being crazy. ideally he gets a Naz Reid type contract.

If it counts as 24.5mil toward their tax bill. It’s $24.5mil on the books. Even if they have to pay him $39mil at some point. doesn’t particularly matter when they pay him the money if it’s all guaranteed.

It’s similar to NFL where it’s the AAV that counts toward the bill, not the structure.

It’s the loop hole in the system.
The new team would have to also love Reaves to the point that they will have to use 24.5 of their cap next year on him but be paying him 12 mill.

Well if we’ve reached the hot take portion of the day, here’s mine… neither AR or Rui will get an offer sheet from any other team because they know the Lakers will match.

Well if we’ve reached the hot take portion of the day, here’s mine… neither AR or Rui will get an offer sheet from any other team because they know the Lakers will match.
Agree, no team is going to tie their money on a RFA when they can chase other free agents. Lakers can even wait until last second to match just to **** that team over.

Why would he do this? Keep in mind that Austin is already 25 and this next contract will take him to 29. He's basically an entire 4-5 contract behind the one and done players. This might be his only big payday so he needs to maximize his income. He's not at a position in his career where he can take discounts

pmatic pmatic

FEFD5808-5280-446A-B28B-AC2FE1BD7069.jpeg

Why would he do this? Keep in mind that Austin is already 25 and this next contract will take him to 29. He's basically an entire 4-5 contract behind the one and done players. This might be his only big payday so he needs to maximize his income. He's not at a position in his career where he can take discounts
Has a player never taken a discount before? :lol:

I didn't know the max the Lakers could offer him without matching is $51 million... So yeah he's gonna get his money.

The Lakers find their solution at PG

Los Angeles Lakers get:
Fred VanVleet

Toronto Raptors get:
Tyus Jones
Mo Bamba

Washington Wizards get:
Malik Beasley
2030 Lakers first-round pick (top-10 protected, otherwise 2030 Lakers second-round pick)

Although the Lakers have the ability to clear cap space if necessary, a sign-and-trade is a better method for them to upgrade at point guard because it would allow them to retain full Bird rights on restricted free agent Rui Hachimura.

In this scenario, the Lakers add VanVleet via a three-team deal that would net Toronto a replacement for the unrestricted free agent and Washington another draft pick stemming from this week's deal sending Porzingis to the Celtics. Beasley and Jones are close salary matches, allowing the Raptors to reroute him and the protected pick sent by the Lakers to the Wizards.

The first move for the Lakers is guaranteeing the salaries of Beasley (team option) and Vanderbilt (non-guaranteed through Thursday), allowing them to offer VanVleet a starting salary up to $34.3 million for a competitive contract to what he could get elsewhere. (If necessary, they could up that to $36.7 million by guaranteeing Shaquille Harrison's minimum salary and including him in the trade.)

Completing a sign-and-trade deal would hard cap the Lakers at the first luxury tax apron, projected at $172.7 million. Assuming restricted free agent Austin Reaves makes the largest possible first-year salary ($11.5 million) and they fill out their roster with players making the veterans minimum, that would leave the Lakers about $50 million to spread between VanVleet, Hachimura and using part of their non-taxpayer midlevel exception to re-sign Dennis Schroder and/or Lonnie Walker IV.

Making this deal would render the Lakers unable to trade a first-round pick once again. That's worth it to add an All-Star guard who is on the same timetable as Anthony Davis and LeBron James.
-- Kevin Pelton

Not sure what the Lakers have to offer to the Cavs for him.

He's good and on a value contract. But he gets thrown around when guarding the bully centers like Embiid and Jokic, so if that's what you're trying to improve, he doesn't really help.

Would mostly be a salary dump for Cleveland and in theory gives them spacing next to Mobley with Bamba. I don't think AD moves back to the 4 until Bron retires anyway

Reactions: DLF

Why would he do that? He’s not losing $40M just cause he got love for the Lakers lol
Business is Business

I don’t know the rules either. I get what y’all are saying. But if he knows the lakers want him. Can’t he negotiate better terms (no poison pill) of the offer sheet? He still gets his money and lakers aren’t hurt on the backend of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom