**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Lebron’s defense in the playoffs is like a night and day difference from the effort in which he defends in the regular season.

Nice try.
So now we talking about the less important regular season instead of when it matters most?

You tryna win championships or nah?

Okay since you wanna go there....

You do know there's a reason the Lakers are like 4-5 deep at the small forward position right? It's called Bron's backups at the 3

Any of these dudes right here can play the wing/perimeter defender position during the regular season

1. Prince
2. Vando
3. Reddish
4. Rui
5. Lewis
6. Fudge

Even nicer try on your part though

Why Christian Wood is a gamble Lakers are confident will pay off

With training camp less than a month away, the Los Angeles Lakers finally addressed their most important remaining need, agreeing to terms with free-agent center Christian Wood.

Wood, who played with the Dallas Mavericks last season, is signing a two-year deal for the veteran’s minimum (approximately $5.7 million in total) with a player option in the second season, according to team sources not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. He’s the Lakers’ 14th player and third center.

Once it was clear Wood might be available for the minimum, he became the Lakers’ top target for their third big spot. Over the past couple of months, Wood had been weighing the fallout of potential Damian Lillard and James Harden trades, including the possibility that he’d find a situation with a greater role and/or a salary above the minimum, according to league sources. But with Lillard still in Portland and Harden still in Philadelphia, it was time for Wood to make a decision. He chose the Lakers.

There’s no questioning Wood’s talent or offensive skill. He was the best big man available by a solid margin and should bolster the offense with his multi-faceted scoring and 3-point shooting.

The soon-to-be-28-year-old center has averaged 16.8 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.0 blocks per game over the past four seasons, which included stints with the Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Detroit Pistons. Last season, he averaged 16.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 25.9 minutes per game in Dallas. He’s especially useful as a floor-spacer, as he’s a career 37.9 percent 3-point shooter who has made more than 36 percent of those shots in five of his seven NBA seasons.

The early expectation is that Wood will come off the bench with Rui Hachimura the likely frontcourt starter next to LeBron James and Anthony Davis, according to team sources. At a minimum, Wood will be the primary backup center behind Davis while occasionally teaming with him in two-big lineups. He should average around 20 minutes per game when everyone is healthy.

The challenge with starting Wood is the same that arises for any potential Lakers two-big lineup: it forces Davis and James to slide down to power forward and small forward, positions they’ve each phased out of as they’ve aged.

Davis played 100 percent of his minutes at center last season and 76 percent of his minutes there the season prior. James played 99 percent of his minutes at either power forward or center last season. Using James as a small forward, which was more common earlier in his Lakers tenure, means he must defend apex predator wings like Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. That’s unreasonable for a soon-to-be-39-year-old in Year 21.

Wood’s arrival also crowds an already crowded frontcourt. There are only 144 frontcourt minutes available for Davis, James, Hachimura, Wood, Jarred Vanderbilt, Jaxson Hayes and Taurean Prince, and that’s before factoring in smaller lineups that would involve Austin Reaves or Max Christie sliding up to play small forward. Hayes, signed to a minimum contract at the start of free agency, should move back to a more appropriate role as a third-string center who likely doesn’t play every night. Vanderbilt, the primary starter last regular season, also will see his minutes decline.

Wood’s greatest value to the Lakers may be as insurance for injuries in the regular season. When Davis misses time, which is seemingly inevitable, Wood can step in and assume a greater offensive role. (The same applies to when James misses time, though Wood’s game is much closer to Davis’.) Wood can assume 20-plus percent usage and produce 20-point, 10-rebound performances. Remember some of those gaudy Thomas Bryant stat lines from last season when Davis was injured? Wood can replicate that and more.

Wood is one of the league’s more skilled scoring bigs. He’s a weapon as a catch-and-shoot and pick-and-pop threat. He shot 41.8 percent on catch-and-shoot 3s last season, an elite mark for any player, and especially for a center.

His shooting ability makes him a natural pick-and-roll partner in two-man actions with James, Reaves, Russell and Gabe Vincent. The Lakers haven’t had a big with this type of shooting proficiency in years. With a properly spaced floor, Wood can feast against defenders sagging off of him.

Wood is smart about relocating into open space away from the action. He’ll set a screen, pretend to roll or wait a beat near the free-throw line, then dart beyond the arc. His release is quick enough that unfocused help defenders, like Houston Rockets big man Jabari Smith Jr. on this possession, can’t recover in enough time.

Though the Lakers will likely give Wood the occasional post-up or isolation, his primary use should be as a spot-up shooter and pick-and-pop option.

Nonetheless, Wood is capable of breaking out of the stretch-big mold, flashing skills rarely seen from players his size. In this video, Wood takes a rebound coast to coast, realizes he has a considerable size advantage over then-Clippers guard Luke Kennard and spins into the easy fadeaway jumper before the defense can converge.

Of course, there are reasons a player as talented as Wood was available for a minimum deal a week into September. He’s played on seven teams in seven seasons, and Houston is the only team for which he’s played multiple seasons. Each situation soured quickly, with Wood losing minutes throughout the season for reasons that had little to do with his offensive production. He’s limited defensively and has a questionable locker-room reputation.

Wood’s defensive focus and effort can wane. He is mistake-prone, which is a problem for a team with title aspirations. In the clip below, Wood miscalculates where he’s supposed to be in his defensive coverage against a Damian Lillard-Jusuf Nurkić pick-and-roll. He goes to the left when he should be going right, a miscue that leads to an uncontested Lillard 3-pointer.

Though his negative reputation precedes him, Wood isn’t the turnstile many presume him to be. He’s a minus, to be sure, but his physical tools help prop him up closer to average. Wood’s 6-foot-10 frame and 7-foot-3 wingspan allow him to cover up for his limitations with lateral quickness and decision-making. He’s more effective at switching pick-and-rolls than dropping back, which may cause the Lakers to tweak their usual scheme when he’s on the floor. He’s never played in a frontcourt with defenders like Davis, Vanderbilt, James and Hachimura — the latter two are more than capable defensively when engaged.

Watch as he contains a post-up by Sacramento Kings All-Star Domantas Sabonis by keeping his right arm up, staying big and using his massive frame.

His 60.0 field-goal percentage allowed at the rim isn’t elite, but it puts him in a similar range to Evan Mobley and Robert Williams III, who have strong rim-protection reputations. Wood is active around the rim and solid at contesting shots. He’s also a good defensive rebounder.

Signing Wood means the Lakers passed on Bismack Biyombo — a much better defender, locker-room presence and hard-nosed, enforcer-type — and the possibility of adding two-way center Colin Castleton to the roster. But they had to either give up shooting or rim protection when deciding how to fill this 14th roster spot. The Lakers punted on the latter.

There are legitimate reasons to be skeptical of the Wood signing. The Lakers are aware of the negative leaguewide perception of Wood. Several other teams have been intrigued by his tantalizing potential, only to be disappointed once he arrived.

But the Lakers also are confident they can change Wood. With head coach Darvin Ham, James and Davis setting the tone and culture, the Lakers are optimistic that Wood will buy into the team in a way he’s never fully bought into his previous stops. They think they have the personnel on both ends to maximize his skills on the court. He played with Davis in New Orleans and briefly with Ham when the latter was an assistant coach for the Bucks, for whatever that’s worth. He also immediately tweeted his longstanding desire to play for the Lakers after his signing was announced.

Many of the Lakers’ recent gambles on players the rest of the league discarded have panned out. The likes of Malik Monk, Dennis Schröder, Dwight Howard and even Stanley Johnson come to mind as talented players at various points of their careers who needed opportunities to rehab their image. That is certainly a potential outcome with Wood.

But the Lakers don’t need to look too far back in the recent past to see another gamble that famously flamed out in Russell Westbrook. He never fully embraced his projected role or the Lakers’ culture. He’s not an exact comparison for Wood — Westbrook had an albatross contract and was more adversarial — but it’s an example of how the Wood signing could go awry.

Perhaps the Lakers are the right situation for Wood, though. The Lakers Bump is real. There is a greater spotlight and more attention for role guys who play well. After not finding the multi-year deal that he coveted, Wood has a purple-and-golden opportunity to rehab his perception and value.

The best version of Wood elevates the Lakers, keeping them afloat when Davis is out and adding much-needed shooting and spacing to their frontcourt. This is the best team Wood has played for, a situation that will likely result in his first playoff minutes. If he plays well and the Lakers win — if not a championship, at least enough to have another competitive playoff run — he almost certainly cashes out next summer. This isn’t his last chance, per se, but a flameout with the Lakers would be a significant blow to his career.

The Wood signing, while not without risk, makes the Lakers better. It cements a successful offseason for the Lakers in which they extended Davis; re-signed Reaves, Hachimura and Russell; added Vincent, Prince and Wood to their rotation in free agency; and took cheap fliers on reclamation projects in Hayes and Cam Reddish. On paper, this is undoubtedly a better roster than the one that made the Western Conference finals last season. Wood has the potential to be one of the better value signings of the offseason.

This Lakers regime has taken several notable gambles in recent seasons. It is aware of the stakes and is betting on Wood’s immense upside.

Buha: "Hayes, signed to a minimum contract at the start of free agency, should move back to a more appropriate role as a third-string center who likely doesn’t play every night."

I love how absolutely nobody believes Hayes is going to make an impact on this team. I'm sure Jaxson the underdog feels the same way about being overlooked.

Season starts SOON

So now we talking about the less important regular season instead of when it matters most?

You tryna win championships or nah?

Okay since you wanna go there....

You do know there's a reason the Lakers are like 4-5 deep at the small forward position right? It's called Bron's backups at the 3

Any of these dudes right here can play the wing/perimeter defender position during the regular season

1. Prince
2. Vando
3. Reddish
4. Rui
5. Lewis
6. Fudge

Even nicer try on your part though
So we need to save AD’s body for the regular season by moving him down a slot, even though there’s depth at his position now BUT it’s cool let year 21 Lebron chase guys around the perimeter because we have depth at his position.

Okay now.

So we need to save AD’s body for the regular season by moving him down a slot, even though there’s depth at his position now BUT it’s cool let year 21 Lebron chase guys around the perimeter because we have depth at his position.

Okay now.
Lol.

Bro, there's depth at EVERY position. That's the point. The Lakers added depth EVERYWHERE so it allows Bron and AD to BOTH slide down to their more natural positions, JUST LIKE IT WAS when they last won a championship in 2020. This is called the "Lakers championship formula"

Has LAL won a championship in the last 3 years with Bron playing PF and AD playing center 99% of the time? That's the point.

I am super weary just based off a guy who's 6'10, is an above average athlete & has averaged an efficient 16 & 8 for the past 4 seasons being available at the minimum in August (with no injury issues)

with that said, from a fit perspective he's a really good player to have available next to a guy like AD, i'm hoping being on an actual winning team with respected vets/coaching staff can be enough to keep him in check.

If he could pan out, there's four guys outside of AD & Bron who could Easily put up 20 in a night (D'Lo, Austin, Rui & Wood). Taking the load off Bron/AD on the offensive end is extremely important to a championship run.

I think this is the fourth player Ham has recruited from his past to join the Lakers. Schroder, Sterling Brown, Prince and now Wood.

The ole "I always wanted to be a Laker" routine ehh. He'll be gone after the year.

"He believes in me and told me I'll be playing a big role" - Christian Wood on HAM

Only so many minutes, will be interesting to see how these minutes shake out

Don't really like the idea of starting Rui next to AD and Bron. But when Rui got the contract that he did, then I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

you did the same with javalee mcgee.

mcgee played ZERO minutes in the 2020 finals and 6 minutes a game in the conference finals against the nuggets

let me save you a reply with:

Lol

I can go back and forth with you til hell freezes over. Javale or Dwight it don't eem matter. The point remains....AD was starting at PF and the Lakers employed a 2-Big lineup the ENTIRE SEASON including the playoffs. I don't care if it was Javale or Dwight who was starting at center. Bottom line is the Lakers won a title using a 2-Big lineup.

Your using the Javale McGee sample size from the WCF and Finals don't mean xxxx cause guess what, another Big named Dwight STARTED AT C.

Ya comprende?

"He believes in me and told me I'll be playing a big role" - Christian Wood on HAM

Only so many minutes, will be interesting to see how these minutes shake out
Translation: "Big man role"

Plenty of minutes at Center for Wood and Hayes when Lakers employ the 2-Big lineup.

48 minutes at Center:

Wood (16-24 min)
Hayes (16-24 min)
AD (8 4th quarter min to close games)

48 min at PF:

AD (26 min)
Rui (20 min)
Bron (2 min)

48 min at SF:

Bron (28 min)
Prince (12 min)
Vando (8 min)

Lakers got nothing but lineup options cause of their versatility at all positions

Im just glad we are stocking up with merch to trade for Kyrie.

I saw Iman Shumpert talking about Kyrie on a podcast, were enamored with Reaves, but just imagine Kyrie crossing everyone over like ballet then throwing up some twirly tons of English finger roll layup three point shot bank shot nothing but the bottom of the net swish double rim make?

Don't really like the idea of starting Rui next to AD and Bron. But when Rui got the contract that he did, then I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.
Rui will be gunning for 6MOY.

Best role for him is 20-24 minutes off the bench, especially now that the Lakers signed two rotational Bigs

Goalposts be a moving man.

😂
If so, why isn't there anybody else besides bigleemelone who wanna put they money where they mouth is regarding the Lakers' intention to go 2-Bigs in the starting lineup?

I'm still taking bets bro. Season don't start for another month and a half

Already got $3K ready to go. I'm open for business.

LMK :lol:

I think we'll see Hayes/AD starting

And wood splitting minutes between both of them + Rui

Im not worried about c wood supposed "locker room" issues.....that stuff don't seem to fly on a LJ led team, LJ really good at mitigating egos and getting guys on the same page (except the vampire)

Really hyped for this season, we very deep....we should have a top 5 defense in the league, got some young legs and capable defenders.

Ham got all the shiny toys to play with now

Back
Top Bottom